A bit of painting...

The wheels got a bit of white primer on top of the black and then I painted gloss white.

IMG_3563_zpsogn0gyz2.jpg

The fan fronts were primed in black and then painted gloss black...

IMG_3564_zpsm0bq5cmw.jpg

Then Alclad white aluminium...

IMG_3565_zpsrjdxjkk2.jpg

And a dark wash on top of that...

IMG_3566_zpswif4wanh.jpg

Then I stuck them into the suckers...the popped into place and didn´t require any glue :D

IMG_3567_zpsn0riuhmo.jpg

The cockpit got painted in FS 36375 on top od the black primer.

IMG_3569_zps1qb7gfp9.jpg

Time to detail paint then :D

IMG_3571_zpsfu9gegte.jpg

And I ended todays session with brushing flat black on the tires.

IMG_3572_zpsklc57nqm.jpg

Cheers!

A little canopy special

Well since I´m going with the Avionix set I have to make some mods to the canopy to fit...

I put down a strip of tape and then I drew a line with a sharpie along the edge of the tape to mark where to amke a cut.

IMG_3573_zps5gygucl4.jpg

Using The Dremel!

IMG_3574_zpsgyc1ppah.jpg

I made sure to make the cut along the sharpie line so that the sharpie line was left after the cut.

IMG_3575_zpsnbjp71wa.jpg

I then sanded the edge to the tapeline...the next thing was to thin the edge of the canopi so it fit over the step in the Avionix part.

IMG_3576_zps4uiv2y45.jpg

Out with The Dremel again! I sanded off until I got half the thickness at the edge

IMG_3578_zpssvwehwki.jpg

A little dry fit shows I´m in the ball park.

IMG_3579_zpsm8hbfydw.jpg

Next I mounted the canopy parts onto tooth picks

IMG_3580_zpsakcgm5up.jpg

Washed them in detergent.

IMG_3581_zpses1hfhyq.jpg

And then dipped them in Pledge Klear/Future

IMG_3583_zpso7eacvyh.jpg

There, ready for masking after they have dried and hardened.

IMG_3584_zps4hehil6x.jpg

Cheers!

Cockpit dressing...

I begun todays session with breaking off the toothpicks and cleaning up the clear parts.

IMG_3585_zpskqtkz3et.jpg

Then I carefully glued the windscreen together with tamyia extra thin.

IMG_3586_zpsasr2r8w2.jpg

Put the fuselage halfs together temporarily and carefully fitted the windscreen so it would set in the right shape.

IMG_3587_zpsyarmt2j4.jpg

Added more tamyia extra thin and in mnaged to flow out on to the windscreen....I uttered a few select words and let it be for now.

IMG_3588_zpsqbamfn6h.jpg

Then some rough detail painting of the cockpit...

IMG_3589_zps4djf8ios.jpg

IMG_3590_zpsfxzlequx.jpg

A little dry fit...

IMG_3592_zpsj97k0mxs.jpg

and the deck behind the pit.

IMG_3591_zpsvputdspy.jpg

Next I will put down a gloss varnish before washing and dry brushing.

Cheers!

24 minutes ago, crackerjazz said:

Going good!   That's some tricky canopy sanding work with the Dremel.   Do you use some device to slow down the RPM?   My slowest speed is still fast enough to melt plastic.

Thanx crackerjazz :D

Nope, it's got a step less adjustment wheel from 0 to 10000 rpm....it's good $hit :D

I ran it at about 1300 rpm.

That frikkin windshield!!

I brushpainted a bit of blue tint to the windshield....

IMG_3593_zpsxcbv3gf7.jpg

Dipped in future....and well that looks like crap!
IMG_3594_zpsm6ubcxfw.jpg

Put down a gloss coat on the pit while collecting my thoughts.

IMG_3595_zps9s1hm4ke.jpg

I then decided on using window washer and a brush and cleaned the windshield for a fresh start!

IMG_3596_zpslmvklqgh.jpg

Airbrushed on a very thin coat of clear blue, it´s to represent the refraction of the thicker glass in the windshield.

IMG_3597_zpsliddg0he.jpg

Then a another dip in future...the window halves fell apart and I had to glue them again....and yet again spilled Tamyia extra thin on it!!!!!

IMG_3598_zpsqei44jwz.jpg

I dropped the windshield for now and put down a wash in the cockpit...

IMG_3599_zpszr0tpwnd.jpg

And the wheels...

IMG_3601_zpsnitc9s6j.jpg

I finished todays session with glueing the wheels onto the struts...

IMG_3602_zpskdnnvugw.jpg

Cheers!

Aigore,

Great progress so far; and don't let the windscreen get the best of you! Kinetic had a brilliant idea of making the base of the windscreen part of the fuselage; however, they totally blew it by making it and the canopy a four piece affair to capture as they say, the characteristic shape of the real deal. Unfortunately, it was all in futility as gluing split clear parts in general,  is modeling suicide. anyway, keep up the good work...you're almost there.

Elmo

52 minutes ago, wardog said:

Aigore,

Great progress so far; and don't let the windscreen get the best of you! Kinetic had a brilliant idea of making the base of the windscreen part of the fuselage; however, they totally blew it by making it and the canopy a four piece affair to capture as they say, the characteristic shape of the real deal. Unfortunately, it was all in futility as gluing split clear parts in general,  is modeling suicide. anyway, keep up the good work...you're almost there.

Elmo

Thanx for the sympathy and comforting words :D

All about the cockpit...

Well then, the pit is pretty much done, just needs a couple of bang seats and the IP cover.
I´ve drybrushed with 3 different greys on the black and then detail painted before I put down a flat coat. The Avionix set is a step up from the in box cockpit but
I think it´s not as crisp and detailed like Aires resin usually are...but still cost more :/ Oh well, it looks nice at least :D

IMG_3617_zps1cclkofo.jpg

IMG_3619_zpsgoons2ae.jpg

IMG_3621_zpsh4nqjawy.jpg

A little dry fit of the pit...

IMG_3622_zpsahjvuzqu.jpg

Cheers!

Great job so far my friend,I like the landing gears!:thumbsup:

Some headeches with the windshield,uh?

Personally,I will glue it directely to the fuselage halves when ready,and maybe,use some slow dry CA glue instead of the Tamiya Thin that can be very harmful!

Also,I will glue a small styrene strip on the centerline to help the parts to stick on something of more robust.

What kind of blue you used for the clear? Personally I use or the Tamiya clear blue/green or,recently,the Alclad armored glass.Also,I don't use anymore the Future for the clear parts,as my very dilatated time for modeling see the masking tape sit on the canopys for long time,and this,invariably,left some residues on the Future.

Now I use the various Tamiya compounds,that also I can use also after the canopy is unmasked to remove any tape glue residue.

But you're a great modeler and I'm sure that you feel comfortably with your tested methods.

Cheers,:cheers:

Gianni

6 hours ago, kurnass77 said:

Great job so far my friend,I like the landing gears!:thumbsup:

Some headeches with the windshield,uh?

Personally,I will glue it directely to the fuselage halves when ready,and maybe,use some slow dry CA glue instead of the Tamiya Thin that can be very harmful!

Also,I will glue a small styrene strip on the centerline to help the parts to stick on something of more robust.

What kind of blue you used for the clear? Personally I use or the Tamiya clear blue/green or,recently,the Alclad armored glass.Also,I don't use anymore the Future for the clear parts,as my very dilatated time for modeling see the masking tape sit on the canopys for long time,and this,invariably,left some residues on the Future.

Now I use the various Tamiya compounds,that also I can use also after the canopy is unmasked to remove any tape glue residue.

But you're a great modeler and I'm sure that you feel comfortably with your tested methods.

Cheers,:cheers:

Gianni

THanx Gianni :D

Very nice input :) 

Yeah, I´ll have some cleaning to do from  the Tamyia Thin.... :P

For the canopy I wanted to fit them to the Avionix rear part first...as you´ll see in my coming update, and then use the ceiling panel to give streangth, I added some styrene too.

You know you can clean off the tape residue with warm water and a mild detergent on a cotton swab...doesn´t matter if the tape sits on for months or years.

I used Tamyia clear blue for the windshield

Down to business...

Alrighty, let´s get this moving along...let´s glue stuff!

I glued the IP to the cover and added the sights.

IMG_3623_zpshjc7t2vs.jpg

A drop of clear yellow in there and a little piece of acetate for the optics.

IMG_3624_zpsdjldbtjs.jpg

And glued in the assembly into the pit.

IMG_3625_zpsewpjso8o.jpg

IMG_3626_zps9usbwedz.jpg

And then I glued the pit and rear deck into a fuselage half.

IMG_3627_zpsvyl9cbhm.jpg

IMG_3629_zpsenjy73wz.jpg

Then I neded to fit the wings, they need to go on so I can thread the exhausts into them from the inside before I close the fuselage.

I needed to deal with the big gaps I detected before in the wing roots, so I added plasticard...

IMG_3630_zpsjnb6eys2.jpg

Cut it to shape and saded it smooth.

IMG_3631_zpslodd5pxw.jpg

Then for that big gap in the wheel bay, more plasticard. Marked the outer edge with a sharpie.

IMG_3632_zpsyqzmazqy.jpg

cut it to shape.

IMG_3633_zpsuesanydb.jpg

and glued them in.

IMG_3634_zpsgim8kbc5.jpg

THen I glued in the wings...nice, no gap :D

IMG_3636_zpsnsdp2ssw.jpg

A little dry fit revealed that the rear deck is a bit askew....oh well. looks cool from here.

IMG_3637_zpsll8uwwnk.jpg

Let´s dry fit the seats and windscreen too.....I´m beginning to envisn the end product :D

IMG_3639_zpslecdlvxl.jpg

A bit of weight into the nose cone, I use clay for ballast...perhaps I´ll have to add more so it won´t be a tail sitter!

IMG_3640_zpslwgmlhee.jpg

And the darn canopy, no luck with finding vacu canopies for it so I´m using the one I got...glued in the right half first.

IMG_3641_zpsmukpgala.jpg

I hoped for the best when I added the other half...seems to work out, a little gap at the front end.

IMG_3642_zpswe5bvhp7.jpg

Added the ceiling panel.

IMG_3643_zpsjqgxmwvs.jpg

And I finishd todays session with a strip of plasticard along the forward window frame.

IMG_3644_zpsh8bcvcve.jpg

That´s all for today!

Cheers!

wow looking great and you are moving at top speed!

My build hit a snag while I was dremel-ing out the area for the 2nd side resin exhaust - melted the plastic and made a right mess of it. Trying to recover from that but its hard to get the mojo going again!

57 minutes ago, Petrov27 said:

wow looking great and you are moving at top speed!

My build hit a snag while I was dremel-ing out the area for the 2nd side resin exhaust - melted the plastic and made a right mess of it. Trying to recover from that but its hard to get the mojo going again!

Thanx mate :D

Aww man, I almost melted mine...started wrinkling but I have puttied that up.

How extensive was the damage? If I might suggest something....start doing another sub assembly for a while to build up some mojo, that's what I'm doing to cope with my windscreen issues.

Nothing comes easy...

While sanding around the engines I noticed that there was a big seam where the wing meats the fuselage over the engine...checked if there was supposed to be a panelline there but no...so I had to mask and putty it.

IMG_3645_zpsld4ir9cj.jpg

Then I fitted the exhausts into the fuselage.

IMG_3646_zpsgs8hym5s.jpg

IMG_3647_zps4xswmpmr.jpg

Then I begun thinking about closing the fuselage....I had to glue two pieces to the belly, the arrestor hook housing (no probs) and then this belly section with nose gear bay.

IMG_3648_zps0bu9i4vp.jpg

The fit is simply astoundingly bad....this will be a putty monster :P

IMG_3649_zpsd9dwu7xy.jpg

IMG_3650_zpse9mbnsb8.jpg

I used industrial ammounts of Loctite to fix the belly to one fuselage half...got a nasty step along the whole length of the section :/

IMG_3651_zpsoksx9ujb.jpg

And I managed to superglue my fingers together :P

IMG_3652_zpswkxqa7al.jpg

Cheers for now!

I have to congratulate you for sticking with this build as long as you have; a lesser modeler would have thrown in the towel a long time ago! I'm still in awe that this day and age, models with such bad engineering are still being produced. That's as far as I'll let my bashing go as Kinetic isn't the only manufacturer that leaves a bit to be desired. Even though I have not built a Kinetic model, I've heard some of their other offerings are pretty good, however, the A-6 is not one of them. I've also noticed two things that seem to be more and more common these days with some of the newer manufacturers; a rough or pebbly surface texture of the plastic and soft panel lines that seem as though they were made over soft clay. I'm not sure why that is as other kit manufacturers have been producing super smooth plastic with very crisp panel line representation for ages.

Anyway, I'm proud of your efforts and wish you luck as you get closer to the finish line.

E.

1 hour ago, wardog said:

I have to congratulate you for sticking with this build as long as you have; a lesser modeler would have thrown in the towel a long time ago! I'm still in awe that this day and age, models with such bad engineering are still being produced. That's as far as I'll let my bashing go as Kinetic isn't the only manufacturer that leaves a bit to be desired. Even though I have not built a Kinetic model, I've heard some of their other offerings are pretty good, however, the A-6 is not one of them. I've also noticed two things that seem to be more and more common these days with some of the newer manufacturers; a rough or pebbly surface texture of the plastic and soft panel lines that seem as though they were made over soft clay. I'm not sure why that is as other kit manufacturers have been producing super smooth plastic with very crisp panel line representation for ages.

Anyway, I'm proud of your efforts and wish you luck as you get closer to the finish line.

E.

Thanx wardog :D

Well....call me a masochist but I actually think it's fun to bring this kit up to snuff.

Kinetic have produced quite a few lemons, specially the early kits, their quality control,is sub par and the instructions looks and feels like someone just just printed them on the cheapest paper possible....but there is something about them that makes them worthwile to build.

I think the feel of the plastic and softness in details simply come from budget reasons, they try to make the models as cheaply as possible.