Closing time...

At last the fuselage is closed....it went without much trouble....well relativly.
I´m the happy owner of loads of clamps in various sizes...and this is where they are needed! but this beasy will take loads of putty and sanding and rescribing before I´m done :P

IMG_3653_zpswcvxaas6.jpg

The belly is atroucious but such is life...

IMG_3654_zpsoxo6hfye.jpg

IMG_3655_zpsuusw40xi.jpg

A little dryfit with the canopy...

IMG_3656_zpsx25wbaow.jpg

It actually got some hefty size to it :P

IMG_3657_zpswj3rslpd.jpg

On to putty and sanding....loads of both!

Cheers!

5 hours ago, Wolfgun33 said:

It's impressive that you keep plugging away at it. I would have given up on it already.

Thanx Wolfgun :D

I'm very determined....and I went into this build with both eyes open.....the bottom line is: I want a rugged vietnam era bombtruck in the form of an Invader, really really badly :D

Actually the lower body long piece fits perfectly - you just have to remove most of the locating tabs or at least cut them down. I've done it on 4 copies of the kits and never had any problem once I did that. The nose is a tricky piece but with carefull fitting it goes on pretty well. The nice thing is there are no panels along the nose so you'll have to fill and smooth it anyways. Keep up the great word. Kit takes a little effort but once you get it, I think it looks great and goes together better than people think..

-brian

IMG_8375_zpssorupmk9.jpg

A few passes with a sharp knife on the edge and a touch of filler to smooth the high spots but it fit pretty perfect.

IMG_8374_zpsclnqf4ti.jpg

IMG_9109_zpsklmzkroq.jpg

For the aft end fairing into the body, I added a tab inside so that it sat flush. This picture was from the first one I did without the height adding tab.

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals
7 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Actually the lower body long piece fits perfectly - you just have to remove most of the locating tabs or at least cut them down. I've done it on 4 copies of the kits and never had any problem once I did that. The nose is a tricky piece but with carefull fitting it goes on pretty well. The nice thing is there are no panels along the nose so you'll have to fill and smooth it anyways. Keep up the great word. Kit takes a little effort but once you get it, I think it looks great and goes together better than people think..

-brian

IMG_8375_zpssorupmk9.jpg

A few passes with a sharp knife on the edge and a touch of filler to smooth the high spots but it fit pretty perfect.

IMG_8374_zpsclnqf4ti.jpg

IMG_9109_zpsklmzkroq.jpg

For the aft end fairing into the body, I added a tab inside so that it sat flush. This picture was from the first one I did without the height adding tab.

IMG_5629_zpszblxrr4d.jpg

IMG_5630_zpsverdwbgd.jpg

IMG_5631_zpsw06ryhli.jpg

Thanx Brian :D

Indeed, I have no doubt it'll come together one way or the other, I think most of the misfit and misalignment are my own doing :P

I know how to deal with the fit issues on my next intruder, yours looks really stunning btw :D

Janne,

Just found your build thread on the A-6E. I'm more then impressed with your detailing and problem solving, as this certainly isn't an easy build by any means. Getting all that AM to fit especially  the cockpit, intakes, exhausts, and dealing with the split canopy issues is modeling at it's finest. 

When I built my A-6E I went  straight OOB with just Fighter Town decals back in those days and went with the Hobby Boss kit, which I found to be a most enjoyable build.  Certainly not in the same class as your build but makes an excellent display model.

Joel

A-6E10_12_14_193.jpg

4 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Janne,

Just found your build thread on the A-6E. I'm more then impressed with your detailing and problem solving, as this certainly isn't an easy build by any means. Getting all that AM to fit especially  the cockpit, intakes, exhausts, and dealing with the split canopy issues is modeling at it's finest. 

When I built my A-6E I went  straight OOB with just Fighter Town decals back in those days and went with the Hobby Boss kit, which I found to be a most enjoyable build.  Certainly not in the same class as your build but makes an excellent display model.

Joel

A-6E10_12_14_193.jpg

Thanx Joel :D

I too would have gone with the hobby boss kit had it existed, the kinetics was the first released :P

Anyway, the build is a handfull and me putting things togerher sloppily doesn't help...I'm using up putty at an alarming rate :P

3 hours ago, Aigore said:

I too would have gone with the hobby boss kit had it existed, the kinetics was the first released :P

Anyway, the build is a handfull and me putting things togerher sloppily doesn't help...I'm using up putty at an alarming rate :P

Janne,

Good thing putty is one of the least expensive items we use for our builds. 

Joel

On 2017-10-02 at 1:51 AM, Joel_W said:

Janne,

Good thing putty is one of the least expensive items we use for our builds. 

Joel

:P

Well I think it needs it's own budget post in this build :)

• 4 weeks later...
On Sunday, October 01, 2017 at 5:31 PM, Joel_W said:

Janne,

Joel

A-6E10_12_14_193.jpg

And no worries things are going slow right now....I'm filling and sanding and sanding and filling, not the most enjoyable part of a build....but things move along at least :D

Been busy buying a car too....it's been taking up a lot of my free time but now I've finally landed a deal... :)

On Sunday, October 29, 2017 at 4:56 PM, Joel_W said:

Janne,

Good to hear that you're still working on the build. And congrats on the new car. So what did you buy?

Joel

I ended up with a  -14 model Mercedes E250 CDI 4matic estate :D I'm awaiting delivery after it's been serviced, traded in my -05 Volvo V70 2.5T estate.

Wow a Merc - congrats! Got a Volvo here myself - hope it lasts about 20 years (on yr 7 now) - lol till death due us part....

Heya, regarding the A-6 build, any idea what to do about that front landing gear well gaps? I am trying to close up my build of this kit and the front gear well sides just don't seem to fit at all - like they are too narrow? Same on the aftermarket bay from Wolfpack - giant gaps on both sides... I am stuck now trying to figure out a plan to fix but getting dang close to tossing the whole thing and trying to do the HB kit....

1 hour ago, Aigore said:

I ended up with a  -14 model Mercedes E250 CDI 4matic estate :D I'm awaiting delivery after it's been serviced, traded in my -05 Volvo V70 2.5T estate.

Janne,

Congrats on the Mercedes.  I've got two Hyundai's in the garage. so far I've owned 4 of them  and not a single instance of issues other then normal service.

Joel 

1 hour ago, Petrov27 said:

Wow a Merc - congrats! Got a Volvo here myself - hope it lasts about 20 years (on yr 7 now) - lol till death due us part....

Heya, regarding the A-6 build, any idea what to do about that front landing gear well gaps? I am trying to close up my build of this kit and the front gear well sides just don't seem to fit at all - like they are too narrow? Same on the aftermarket bay from Wolfpack - giant gaps on both sides... I am stuck now trying to figure out a plan to fix but getting dang close to tossing the whole thing and trying to do the HB kit....

Petrov27,

sounds like a real major issue. Hope that it doesn't come to tossing it, but I can attest to the excellent build of the HB kit. 

Joel

Janne,

Does this mean that all your spare time will be taken up Detailing the Mercedes?  When I got my Hyundai Coupe for the 1st few years I spend according to my wife way to much time making her look like showroom ready. Now not so  much, but way more then I spend on her car.  :thumbsup:

Joel

On 2017-10-31 at 9:02 PM, Petrov27 said:

Oh, I'm still twisting my bun about the other gaps...the front wheel gaps will be dealt with harshly with cutting off the bay doors and move the outwards as to make the gaps disappear :D

Volvo's are good wheels.....tho not as reliable as they used to be :/ you want reliability you buy korean or japaneese :)

On 2017-10-31 at 10:01 PM, Joel_W said:

Janne,

Congrats on the Mercedes.  I've got two Hyundai's in the garage. so far I've owned 4 of them  and not a single instance of issues other then normal service.

Joel 

Yup, the rice-cookers are reliable.....also plasticy, mass produced and boring :P like cars for old people (taking cover)

On 2017-10-31 at 11:09 PM, crackerjazz said:

Congrats on your new wheels! Hey, I got a Mercedes, too. It can't be ridden, though, and sits on the shelf  :)    Looking forward to your updates!

Thanx man :)

Eventually there will be one... 

On 2017-11-01 at 10:36 PM, Joel_W said:

Janne,

Does this mean that all your spare time will be taken up Detailing the Mercedes?  When I got my Hyundai Coupe for the 1st few years I spend according to my wife way to much time making her look like showroom ready. Now not so  much, but way more then I spend on her car.  :thumbsup:

Joel

Nope...still haven't got it. It's 2 hours drive away so I can't make the trip on a weekday since I work daytimes. Next saturday will be the big day :)

But I'm sure to be doting it when  I get it....it's a gorgeous car!

LoL, why should you spend time on her car? It's hers...

Here's what the beauty looks like, my old Volvo in the background. :)

FB_IMG_1509861740097

• 2 weeks later...

My photobucket is about to go dark, I will in no way pay $400 to the bucket for the pleasure of of sharing my pictures. I was hoping they would see sense before december was here but it doesn't seem like that. 

All my pictures are secured in my computer BUT I will not update all my WIP threads or with links to flickr, I will be using flickr from here on  however in coming WIP-threads.

If you want to save my threads it's time to start now because coming December all pics will be gone, after that you have to ask me to send pictures you need of my old builds.

Thanx all

Janne,

I've been on Image Shack for nearly two years as my issues with Photobuckets crap service goes back that far. I've got 22 pages of model pics that I'll be loosing. While I'd love to replace all the links with Image Shack links, it also involves moving those pictures there as well. Honestly, it's just way to much work, and not worth the effort on my part.  I'm betting that old threads maybe get one or two hits per month max. And my work was at best Average, where by today's standards, I just can't see the value anyone would get out of them from what  they can find on the net today.

Joel

2 hours ago, Sebastijan said:

how about uploading the pics of your previous builds to the respective folders of the image provider of your choice and include the link to your model building account in your signature? just a thought

Sebastijan,

In theory it would work, but in terms of practicality, more then 22 pages of pictures  would entail a massive effort. Much of that body of work is pure OOB, and some of it not very good by my current standards.  I also never bothered with separate folders for each build, so the downloading and moving would have to be picture by picture.   

Joel