Janne,

Being a Grumman fan, I'm still looking at all those kinetic 1/48 scale Navy kits that no one but them have modeled.  I think the 1st one I'll tackle is the C-2 Grayhound or one of the Trackers. I use to see them fly over our house just about every day out of and going to the Bethpage plant. 

Joel

6 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Janne,

Being a Grumman fan, I'm still looking at all those kinetic 1/48 scale Navy kits that no one but them have modeled.  I think the 1st one I'll tackle is the C-2 Grayhound or one of the Trackers. I use to see them fly over our house just about every day out of and going to the Bethpage plant. 

Joel

Looking forwards to the WIP-thread :D

14 hours ago, CaptainObvious said:

Your determination knows no bounds.

I will follow your lead and beat kits into submission. :salute:

Jokes aside, nice work Janne.

Tanks Cptn! :D

Violence is the answer!

A latecomer joins the party! Read your whole thread yesterday and I must say I'm impressed! 

Some very beautiful details and skilfully made corrections everywhere. One of my favourite subjects too, so I can't wait to see it finished!

But boy has it been a hard journey - especially for a kit this new! 

Veryhelpful for the fellow modelers though! Now we all know which kit NOT to choose. :D

2 hours ago, janman said:

A latecomer joins the party! Read your whole thread yesterday and I must say I'm impressed! 

Some very beautiful details and skilfully made corrections everywhere. One of my favourite subjects too, so I can't wait to see it finished!

But boy has it been a hard journey - especially for a kit this new! 

Veryhelpful for the fellow modelers though! Now we all know which kit NOT to choose. :D

Tanks, dear namesake :)

I took one for the team :P

Seems I'm not done fixing stuff...just realised that I got "E" wingtips while I'm actually building an "A" :/

Could actually use som good refs of a "A" wingtips...got any?

Oh boy..... now I've done it....

Well there seems to e quite a few things I have to change to back date the Kinetics intruder to an "A"

Found this site:

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.se/2015/09/grumman-6a-vs-6e-intruder.html

A-6A-E+External+Differences+Rev+A.jpg

Well guys.....I'm back at sanding and filling.....

I hope I'll have something to show after this weekend :P

Oh well…Only thing to do is to grab the bull by its horns as we say here and get on with it.

One step forwards two steps back :P

The moulded in slime lights have to go…

IMG_3714_zpst0bhsa48.jpg

As does the wing tip slime lights as well..

IMG_3715_zpsvot5gcwc.jpg

Good thing I hadn´t restored the chaff/flare launchers on the belly…needs putty never the less.

IMG_3716_zpspxkeluij.jpg

Putty …..

IMG_3717_zpsusk50krd.jpg

Dremling…

IMG_3718_zpswawhrvck.jpg

More putty…decided to fill those atrocious air brake edges as well while I was at it.

IMG_3719_zps1l0lnjzd.jpg

And even more putty…

IMG_3720_zpswx2n3h7n.jpg

There ya go…I´m back att puttying things up :P

No time to start get sloppy now when I´ve invested so much in this model already!

Cheers!

Janne,

Without a doubt, you're the king of Squadron Green Stuff.  Just don't rush it for the sake of an update. I haven't done one in almost two weeks, and nothing yet as I'm still masking the B version camo scheme. 

Joel

2 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Janne,

Without a doubt, you're the king of Squadron Green Stuff.  Just don't rush it for the sake of an update. I haven't done one in almost two weeks, and nothing yet as I'm still masking the B version camo scheme. 

Joel

Lol I use what I have at hand :D

Not rushing anything....looks like I'm doing more surgery tomorrow.....darn thing!

OK, moving along….

Sanded….

IMG_3721_zps6ubahblk.jpg

State of the wing tips.

IMG_3722_zpseujmfutl.jpg

And the belly…

IMG_3723_zps8hxlirnb.jpg

Some wing tip surgey for the secaond poisition light…I just cut out a slice :P

IMG_3724_zpsloklgyur.jpg

Sanded a piece of clear sprue into a wedge and stuck in…

IMG_3725_zpsgrzzbcvb.jpg

Sanded smooth…

IMG_3726_zpsbjzdxhqv.jpg

Painted…

IMG_3727_zpscj3ld0zb.jpg

And masked…

IMG_3728_zpseepecf3e.jpg

Reprimed…looks alright.

IMG_3729_zpss2g3pvat.jpg

IMG_3730_zps2l0uvgov.jpg

IMG_3731_zpsor6gnqmp.jpg

And repainted…am I on par now?

IMG_3732_zpsimlk3ckc.jpg

Did the nosewheel door into an A…

IMG_3733_zpshdj0xx6z.jpg

And of course I forgot about the air scoop on the left side of the spine… more putty.

IMG_3734_zpsluhka1cn.jpg

Well I´m almost back on par….I´ve left the APR-25 antenna under the wingtip though the early A´s didn´t have them but I felt enough is enough!

Cheers!

Janne,

All the re-putty work really came out great, and certainly was worth the extra effort. That home made wing tip lens came out perfectly.  I'd say you're doing better then Par, more like birdie golf if you ask me.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W
3 minutes ago, Joel_W said:

Janne,

All the re-putty work really came out great, and certainly was worth the extra effort. That home made wing tip lens came out perfectly.  I'd say you're doing better the Par, more like birdie golf if you ask me.

Joel

Thanks Joel :D You are always most kind :)

Wow mate,

this model is a real putty hog,never expext form a recent produced kit!

I know that you like fill and sand but this enough.But great work!

I seconded Joel and said that the new nav light are a nice touch.:thumbsup:

Now is time to warm up the airbrush my friend,I can't wait!

Gianni

15 minutes ago, kurnass77 said:

Wow mate,

this model is a real putty hog,never expext form a recent produced kit!

I know that you like fill and sand but this enough.But great work!

I seconded Joel and said that the new nav light are a nice touch.:thumbsup:

Now is time to warm up the airbrush my friend,I can't wait!

Gianni

Thanx Gianni :D

Getting inpatient are we? :P

Soon.... :D

Janne, 

As always, your skill impresses me. I have enjoyed catching up with this build and look forward to your progress on my favorite US aircraft.

Cheers,

Dave

3 hours ago, parche said:

Janne, 

As always, your skill impresses me. I have enjoyed catching up with this build and look forward to your progress on my favorite US aircraft.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanx Dave :D

Always good to have you on board :D

Updatey time again :D

First a little sanding special because I´ve got some question regading removing sanding marks and making the putty disapear.

I removed an air scoop to make this an A and that left a nasty mark that had to be filled and sanded smooth.

It´s really simple…get yourself a wide range of sanding tools.

I started with the coarsest, 120 ngrit sanding paper and I sanded gently in circular motions as not to remove too much or leave too deep marks.

IMG_3735_zpsoo2ad6ea.jpg

Next I used my 180 grit sanding roundel, it´s really wonderful to sand by hand with these padded roundels you get into nooks and crannies and you don´t have to press hard.

Again soft circular motions…

IMG_3736_zpssj6zdbq0.jpg

Now 320 grit saning paper, you notice I haven´t even gone through the primer on the model, that´s how soft you have to sand.

IMG_3737_zpsvhl1d1c0.jpg

After the sanding I polish the are with pads ranging from 500 Grit to 2000 grit to remove all marks.

IMG_3738_zpsnzzxf7ur.jpg

I use dymo tape as a guide when I scribe the lost panelline.

IMG_3739_zpszlhep4ol.jpg

IMG_3740_zps7ywrbn8w.jpg

And reprimed… you see no evidence of  filling :D

IMG_3741_zps540qhgui.jpg

Now for some painting….

I masked the border between white and gray with tac-it and tamyia tape…

IMG_3742_zpsx5ddvxxv.jpg

Put down gloss white in even coats.

IMG_3743_zpsemyecnju.jpg

Unmasked…

IMG_3744_zpsychinkqm.jpg

IMG_3745_zpshavw5wpc.jpg

Then I masked the big nose….

IMG_3746_zpsaqm6tad7.jpg

Shot Alclad flat black primer/microfiller…

IMG_3747_zpsh2tzhhcp.jpg

After a quick polish it was then time for my oldest Alclad bottle, my 10 + year old Gloss black primer.

I always put it on top flat black primer so I don´t use very much each time I use it…it gets really gloss and it dries instantly!

IMG_3748_zpsbltor9c5.jpg

There…. It won´t stay this gloss after clear coats and what nots..

IMG_3749_zpsvpybmmsc.jpg

Unmasked… well here is where I´m at :D

IMG_3750_zpsetuhzko5.jpg

Cheers!

Janne,

the removal and repair came out perfectly. I must confess that I'm somewhat surprised that you use such course grades of sandpaper. I never use anything greater then 320 grit, then 400 grit and finish with 600 grit. Then 1,000 Sponge, and 2,000 sponge. That's good enough for primer and paint.  The reason is that I find that the really course grades creates deeper scratches that need to be removed, and I manage to remove more detail then I should have. 

Your 10 year old can of Alcad Gloss still looks like it lays down a perfect gloss coat. I suspect that one reason is the guy using the air brush really knows what he's doing. 

Joel

2 minutes ago, Joel_W said:

Janne,

the removal and repair came out perfectly. I must confess that I'm somewhat surprised that you use such course grades of sandpaper. I never use anything greater then 320 grit, then 400 grit and finish with 600 grit. Then 1,000 Sponge, and 2,000 sponge. That's good enough for primer and paint.  The reason is that I find that the really course grades creates deeper scratches that need to be removed, and I manage to remove more detail then I should have. 

Your 10 year old can of Alcad Gloss still looks like it lays down a perfect gloss coat. I suspect that one reason is the guy using the air brush really knows what he's doing. 

Joel

Well it mostly to get rid of most of the excess putty....using 320  sanding forever :P

Sanding softly with 120 and 180 doesn't create that deep scratches if you are careful...and well, lost details can be replaced :D