53 minutes ago, Joel_W said:

Guys, I'm a life long Nikon guy. Vivid is only a preset that adds contrast and Clarity.  I only shoot in Camera Standard for everything, then in Post using LR 6.0 I make whatever adjustments I feel is necessary. 

Joel

I only bother to edit pictures when I'm doing my final shoot for the display case forum....in the build thread I use my powershot because it is so handy and agile for taking quick pics.

46 minutes ago, Aigore said:

I only bother to edit pictures when I'm doing my final shoot for the display case forum....in the build thread I use my powershot because it is so handy and agile for taking quick pics.

Janne,

I'm down to just my D7100 so I use it for everything. Of course if I ever remember, I could just shot the grab shots in JPEG and not in RAW at a greatly reduced resolution. That would save a lot of time, and no post processing needed.

Joel

Weathering time!

This will be quick since back in ´66 there wasn´t that much dirt on them...but you know me weathering is worth over doing and so is the case here as well even though I tried restraining myself.

first off I used a Grey wash, in this case AK ship weathering this or that...it´s grey and that is the important bit :P

IMG_3825_zpsukdr0zgg.jpg

Sloshed it on with a brush...

IMG_3819_zps3lobw6ox.jpg

And wiped it off with a cotton cloth from an old T-short.

IMG_3820_zps8x3oswdj.jpg

I started with the white parts but I thought the wash worked on the grey too.

IMG_3821_zps3uvnwnnr.jpg

IMG_3822_zpsvjlmaxyg.jpg

and wiped it off...

IMG_3823_zpsyxprissj.jpg

IMG_3824_zpsfkzk35td.jpg

Here are the different pigments I used to dirty it up, make streaks and grime.

IMG_3826_zpspa6tfk6h.jpg

For the streaks I dotted a wash here and there...

IMG_3827_zpspdj0duna.jpg

and pulled them out into streaks with my fingers, cotton swabs and brushes.

IMG_3828_zps33duuwhb.jpg

Then I used pigments to make it a bit dusty from where service personel had walked about. and some grime into the wingfold joints.

IMG_3829_zpsvm8ezgoj.jpg

when I was happy I put down a flat coat to seal the weathering...

IMG_3830_zps0c7ejbmg.jpg

and unmasked the canopy and windscreen...

IMG_3831_zpsiypjiwvn.jpg

IMG_3832_zps9r5p6er8.jpg

There are still tons of stuff to do...but now it feels like I´m close to finish :D

Cheers!

Janne,

Your weathering has always been one of your strong points, and the A-6A is right up there. I really like your decision to go with the dark Gray. I've gone that way myself, but I use the Tamiya Dark Gray with some black panel wash added.  

Great to see her without masking on the windscreen and canopy. Now I'm waiting for the update when she's standing on her own legs.

Joel

26 minutes ago, Joel_W said:

Janne,

Your weathering has always been one of your strong points, and the A-6A is right up there. I really like your decision to go with the dark Gray. I've gone that way myself, but I use the Tamiya Dark Gray with some black panel wash added.  

Great to see her without masking on the windscreen and canopy. Now I'm waiting for the update when she's standing on her own legs.

Joel

Thanxm old man :D

Painted the red in the landing gear doors and started putting the gears together.

IMG_3833_zpsz4u9lreh.jpg

With a bit of effort I got the main wheel struts in somewhat symmetrically :P

IMG_3834_zpsybxtulhb.jpg

And the nose wheel...

IMG_3835_zpsgkzmaw13.jpg

Look, it can stand on its own and it ain´t a tailsitter!

IMG_3836_zpsvr10qwz4.jpg

Dryfitted the canopy and glued the forward bay door in place....I´t starting too feel like there is hope yet for this kit :P

IMG_3837_zpsjzjw3r1a.jpg

Cheers!

Janne,

Wow!! She's finally on her own legs.  The gear looks great as does the gear doors. I really like how you got the red around each door to looks so even. Mine always seem to be rather blotchy even when I get them straight. I've been using a fancy artist Red fine tip marker. Are yours painted?

Joel

1 hour ago, Joel_W said:

Janne,

Wow!! She's finally on her own legs.  The gear looks great as does the gear doors. I really like how you got the red around each door to looks so even. Mine always seem to be rather blotchy even when I get them straight. I've been using a fancy artist Red fine tip marker. Are yours painted?

Joel

Thanx Joel,

Hehe, it's reallybeasy actually...I brush paint with acrylics so once I painted one side I just pull my finger along the edge to remove excess paint :D

You could of course use a cloth but I don't have to look for my fingers :P

1 hour ago, kurnass77 said:

Fantastic job my friend,the weathering is spot on.not overdone at all!

Gianni

Thanx Gianni :D

It's slightly over weathered considering that back in 1966 they were brand new and spotless...but I wanted some life to it so I went a bit heavy on the weathering.

Edited by Aigore

Janne,

Never thought of using my finger tip to get a fine edge. Gotta try that, but I'm 100% confident that I'll screw it up somehow.

I'm not so sure that you're correct about the A6-As being spotless on their maiden cruise. It didn't take long for them to start to show the effects of the Salt air, salt water spray, dirty hands and feet, and fluids. I'd say you're closer to actually then you think you are as the aircraft got closer to the end of that deployment.

Joel

1 hour ago, Joel_W said:

Janne,

Never thought of using my finger tip to get a fine edge. Gotta try that, but I'm 100% confident that I'll screw it up somehow.

I'm not so sure that you're correct about the A6-As being spotless on their maiden cruise. It didn't take long for them to start to show the effects of the Salt air, salt water spray, dirty hands and feet, and fluids. I'd say you're closer to actually then you think you are as the aircraft got closer to the end of that deployment.

Joel

Perhaps...I just didn´t want to make a squeeky clean ship again :P

A small update today :P

I didn´t want to use the AoA prope in the kit so I brought fourth The Dremel and sharpened an end of 0.5mm piano wire.

IMG_3838_zpscy2orij0.jpg

Here is the little prope..

IMG_3839_zpsoa4bofmv.jpg

I drilled a 0.6mm hole and stuck it in with some cyano.

IMG_3840_zpskpwtpdls.jpg

And the air temperature probe on the other side

IMG_3841_zpsvufd4zmh.jpg

After that I went and added some wire to the ceiling of the canopy and painted the frames.

IMG_3843_zpscftvdc1r.jpg

This is a very useleful set of PE mirrors perfect for that little extra :D

IMG_3844_zpsgodmuxs1.jpg

And speaking of useful, this little cotton swap is excellent for clearing lint on the inside of windscreens after they are glued in place :P

IMG_3845_zpsjfh2cwfd.jpg

The mirrors were a bit of PITA to get in place but that looks alright.

IMG_3847_zpsdxfvl5ql.jpg

Next the seats,I had to choose wich make to go with...the Avionix doesn´t look sharp in the details(to the left) while the Legend seat was really nice and crispy (to the right) but didn´t fit in the pit.

IMG_3848_zpsvthusr95.jpg

To make the seats fit this nice...

IMG_3849_zpsnqwctwfn.jpg

I hade to cut the sides..I decided I could live with that and went with the Legend seats.

IMG_3850_zpsimhvh9ge.jpg

Here they are painted and gloss coated....I´ll let themn rest until tomorrow and then I´ll go over them with washes, decals and all kinds of fun :P

IMG_3854_zpsoofgfnzj.jpg

Cheers!

4 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Sweet update, things are really coming together now.

I use old sewing needles for the AOA probes whenever possible. My 1/18th scale Tomcat will get one.

Steve

Thanx Steve :D

I've used needles too but the one I have our children with would opppose me snagging her needles :P

Piano wire is pretty quick, doesn't take more than a couple of minutes.

Bang seats...

I have some bang seats stencils I used...kind of makes them more alive :D

IMG_3855_zpszxnstflx.jpg

On with a wash...

IMG_3857_zps4yghfq4c.jpg

While the wash was drying I made ejection nooses from lead wire...

IMG_3859_zpsm0xlrjgh.jpg

Painted them...

IMG_3860_zpscsdpk8ib.jpg

And the bang seats are drybrushed, assembled and done.

IMG_3862_zpsoyd2evty.jpg

IMG_3863_zpsdwp5h6ao.jpg

IMG_3865_zpsnor3p2gl.jpg

And then I finsihed the cockpit...

IMG_3866_zpspvp5nj4p.jpg

IMG_3867_zps4koovrlx.jpg

IMG_3868_zpsyyyypqzd.jpg

and with the canopy dry fitted...

IMG_3869_zpszeh4t2t4.jpg

Cheers!

7 minutes ago, crackerjazz said:

Killer work on those seats, Aigore!   That cockpit is looking mighty realistic.   Your Intruder is looking like a real war machine now.

Thanx mate, really kind of you :D

2 minutes ago, CaptainObvious said:

All the bits together and on her legs!
Clear bits unmasked and showing all that wonderful cockpit detail.

Really nice seats.

What else is there to be done?

Oh, plenty....

Fixing the tail position light, the pitotbtube and the fuel dump.

Next detailing the MLG bay doors and attaching them.

Then fix up the pylons, 4x MERs and 22 snake eyes....there is probably something I've forgotten too :P

Looking great and coming down to the end. Loving the progress. A quick word on the painting- these jets took a. Massive weathering beating on cruise. White paint on a carrier deck I wartime. You could go nuts and still be underweathered. 

Make want to check the mirrors. I believe they go on the Cabot, not the windscreen. But if you're closing the canopy, it won't make much difference. 

Congrats. Can't wait to see the final!

brian