Bombs...

OK, I have a bit of bomb building to do.....22 of them as a matter of fact.
Sadly I only had 18 late Snakes...

IMG_3946_zpszqfq2pah.jpg

THe missing 4 I had to make up with early snakes...I don´t know how probable they were in 1967 but this is how it is since they´re sold out on Hannat´s

IMG_3947_zps77eg6rr9.jpg

Well I dremmeled off the bombs from their casting blocks and made a bomb pile...

IMG_3948_zpsppmnjfly.jpg

And an airbrake pile 😛

IMG_3949_zpsixdocdge.jpg

Tried to make the ends flat and find the middle and mark the spot with an awl and drilled holes.

IMG_3950_zpsudzgsvnf.jpg

Glued in a bit of piano wire...

IMG_3951_zpsffx9rizg.jpg

A rich drop of cyano to double as filler and add the air brake to the bomb like so.

IMG_3952_zpskn0akvta.jpg

and drilled a hole at the rear end  since my refs showed one there 😛

IMG_3953_zpshokt7ik6.jpg

Put it onna stick..
IMG_3954_zpsfveh296y.jpg

and stuck it into styrofoam.
IMG_3955_zpscequg0rv.jpg

If you wonder how I found the middle I used a pen and drew chords inside the diameter, then drew a line from the middle that was a 90 degree angle to the chord.
after a few I had intersections that was the middle of the circle. I marked the spot with an awl and drilled a hole 😄

IMG_3957_zpsddet4tzx.jpg

And there we have all 22 of them...

IMG_3958_zpsbupc3yhv.jpg

Tomorrow paint!
cheers!

Concerning your question about early Mk 15's and late Mk 15's mixing, it was possible since there was still Mk 15 Mod 1's floating around in 1967.

And yes, there was a hole in the back of Snakeye fins, for where the hernia bar went when we loaded them.

44 minutes ago, Falconxlvi said:

That is...a LOT of work!  It’ll look sweet once you’ve got her all bombed up!  Great job.  

Thanx Falconxlvi 😄

36 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

Concerning your question about early Mk 15's and late Mk 15's mixing, it was possible since there was still Mk 15 Mod 1's floating around in 1967.

And yes, there was a hole in the back of Snakeye fins, for where the hernia bar went when we loaded them.

Great thanx GW8345!

You are the go-to guy when ordnance is involved! Invaluable source of information 🙂

If I may suggest, I recommend you cut the notch in the early fins so they match the later fins, all Mk 15 fins had the notch.

Eduard screwed up on the first batches of Mk 82 Snakeyes, they used the Mk 14 (Mk 81 Snakeye fin) as a pattern instead of using the MK 15.

The Mk 15 Mod 1's had the notch, here is a pic from the USS Forrestal's 1967 cruise book showing Mk 15 Mod 1's;

https://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv59-67/141.htm

7 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Janne,

Looks like  you joined CrackJazz in the bomb making business. Looking forward to seeing them painted, decaled, and weathered.

Joel

Me tooo.... time to be done with this build! 😄

6 hours ago, GW8345 said:

If I may suggest, I recommend you cut the notch in the early fins so they match the later fins, all Mk 15 fins had the notch.

Eduard screwed up on the first batches of Mk 82 Snakeyes, they used the Mk 14 (Mk 81 Snakeye fin) as a pattern instead of using the MK 15.

The Mk 15 Mod 1's had the notch, here is a pic from the USS Forrestal's 1967 cruise book showing Mk 15 Mod 1's;

https://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv59-67/141.htm

I was affraid you'd say that....

3 hours ago, Sebastijan said:

At least you don't have to glue the fins to the bomb bodies 😉 Looking forward to seeing them finished!

Looks like it'll take another while longer 😛

6 hours ago, Aigore said:

Looks like it'll take another while longer 😛

Janne,

It's certainly been one of your longer builds, and ranks right up there with the most frustrating as well. But as usual, you've beaten it into submission. Like I said, I've have lost the battle but won the war when I tossed it. 

Joel

1 hour ago, Joel_W said:

Janne,

It's certainly been one of your longer builds, and ranks right up there with the most frustrating as well. But as usual, you've beaten it into submission. Like I said, I've have lost the battle but won the war when I tossed it. 

Joel

I'm at the painting stage now at least....might be an update later today

More bombs...

Well as I was informed...the early snakes had notches too so I had to make notches in the fins.
I decided not to go overboard on accuracy...I want to get done! So I just meassured the notcjhes in the late snakes
marked the spots with tape on the bombs...

IMG_3959_zpsj3zmec8j.jpg

Brought forth the Dremel...

IMG_3960_zpsmwojh2r7.jpg

And went at it!

IMG_3961_zpsydq3gz58.jpg

Here is a comparison betwen the late snakes with notches and my home made notches on the early style, note the slant on the leading edges of the fins.

IMG_3963_zps3t7ain3u.jpg

THen I primed them all...alclad grey primer

IMG_3964_zpstj9qt4k8.jpg

Then I decided to go with the pink and lovely bombs instead 😛

IMG_3965_zpstkxpw7qs.jpg

Nah, just makes the yellow much fuller with pink underneath 😄

IMG_3966_zpsihushet6.jpg

Now then, how to mask 22 bombs without it taking forever? My mind started wandering in the direction of templates....hmmmm, what is the diameter on the adapter for the Dremel chuck?

IMG_3967_zpsruwjteah.jpg

Well I arrived at this contraption but then I noticed that you could squeese the adapter onto the bombs so I didn´t need the clamp to hold it still.

IMG_3968_zpsisq0wg8n.jpg

Worked like a charm anyways 😄 and painting and masking 22 bombs went at a whiffy.

IMG_3969_zpsqc2u8q88.jpg

IMG_3970_zpsig6hlqgo.jpg

Then I masked for the aluminium band.

IMG_3971_zpspob7tyyo.jpg

And masked them over and painted the fins in Tamyia XF-62 Olive Drab while the bombs are painted in XF-51 Khaki Drab.

IMG_3972_zpsfsrp2ciq.jpg

IMG_3973_zpsghmx97ec.jpg

Next I´ll paint the fuse and paint some details....then a clear coat and decals and then some weathering.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, GW8345 said:

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

Hehehe, thanx GW8345 😄

I really appreciate your input!

1 hour ago, Joel_W said:

Janne,

Now that's thinking out of the box. Mighty impressive

Joel

Thanx Joel 😄

Being as lazy but still thorough as me leads to, sometimes, unorthodox solutions 😛

8 hours ago, my favs are F`s said:

Another Mr. Bombasitc! 🙂 Awesome!

Missa se bombastic bomba buildar

6 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

Brilliant solutions on the bombs!

Thanx Falconxlvi 😄

3 hours ago, Joel_W said:

CrackerJazz,

That's perfect. it describes Janne to a T. 👌

Joel

LoL always looking for the easy way out?

Kind of having a mullet going for me too 😛

The last update...

OK on with the bombs...

They are painted and clear coated...

IMG_3975_zpssbhpz5on.jpg

On with the decals...

IMG_3976_zpshzlfli07.jpg

On with a dark wash...

IMG_3978_zpskbuxtiis.jpg

Then some drybrushing...

IMG_3981_zpsrrjio7jo.jpg

Then some pigments....
IMG_3982_zpsxqbbhyxa.jpg

A flat coat on top and we are almost done.

IMG_3984_zps5s2tkgbo.jpg

on with the fuses

IMG_3985_zps5q3tocnn.jpg

And mount them on to the MERs
in my excitement I forgot that the inner most forward position must be empty on the in board pylon 😛

IMG_3987_zps6dpvwjm4.jpg

IMG_3988_zpsufejfsmd.jpg

And they are done!...not perfectly straight and level but they look good anyway 😄

IMG_3989_zpsuq9ktodz.jpg

Glued on the inner pylons first, no probs...

IMG_3990_zpsfv9vl8i3.jpg

But the outer pylons just didn´t fit! I´ll scratch my noggin about that tomorrow, now it´s HOCKEY!!!

IMG_3991_zpsoca7om10.jpg

Oh and, this is the last update (who would have thought)...be prepared for neato pictures in the displaycase forum in a while 😉

Cheers!