A-7E Corsair II - Hasegawa 1/48 (Twin build - Completed)

fMOlupC.jpg

Aigore inspired me so much I had to pull out one of the Corsairs from the stash.  I'll try to scratch a thing or two but build it mainly OOB.  

bokqU7D.jpg

The kit's got a pretty good instrument panel.

GRiaa5i.jpg

TjlKm1q.jpg

tvlmlFf.jpg

tShqLer.jpg

IFn5HS9.jpg

I had to flare the ends of the canopy breakers by cutting off the lower half and replacing with a piece of styrene.

xoe42uh.jpg

Bdo5GS1.jpg

vSkzfri.jpg

I nicked the edges of the cushion with the cutter blade for effect as it looked too solid.

zwj8MGU.jpg

A nod to Aigore.   I just had to do the same.

G0EGAZf.jpg

Will add this later.

PQFWf43.jpg

YSEbNZj.jpg

eVh0LOQ.jpg

036obiQ.jpg

e1bkRKU.jpg

umHCly2.jpg

Edited by crackerjazz

Hi MFAF, kike, Aigore, thanks, guys!   

XSkkC1y.jpg

The sidewall of the kit was a bit bare.  I covered it with "fabric" like I see in some photos.

BLovDZK.jpg

biKekxn.jpg

Z6hP0bd.jpg

1mE0kZM.jpg

2PT0C7Z.jpg

s9WMj2N.jpg

Drilling out holes for the internal bracing for in-flight mounting.  I need to make sure they're in there before I close up the fuse.

oFt6yvr.jpg

I hope I know what I'm doing.  I carried this out with nary a plan.  These rods won't really be visible and the diameter of the final holes on the sides of the fuselage won't be as big as these but just big enough for the wires to go through just like on the Tomcats.  I took some sprue to a candle and fixed the rear rod to the wheel bay, making sure I didn't get any on the fuse -- or I'll be in for some warped panels.  

Hey, thanks, okthree, Steve!    Not too proud about my slow progress on the F-14s so I haven't posted updates recently.  I meant on closing up the canopies but there's still the front canvas cover to take care of -- which I've done and painted up but now I'm not sure about the color.  And that's what's eating at me and preventing me from closing it up.   And I didn't want to show any photos because I'm sick of my own cockpit work  : (    But thanks for asking.   Actually, let me update that thread and throw the question out there about the canvas boot.

Edited by crackerjazz

Hi Mr. Happy, I'm glad you like it!

1HOcB2J.jpg

I turned my attention to the main landing gear bay doors.  The first one showed a lot of promise.

nYPRQmy.jpg

Glued on the bottom door and things quickly turned sour.   Their edges didn't meet.

j6ScoNJ.jpg

I soon realized these bay doors weren't meant to go on in the closed position.

8rf539X.jpg

eBVFNAx.jpg

Wv31VlF.jpg

Wrapped some wire and glued the edges together.

CRpuuJd.jpg

There's still that ugly gap.  And triangular shaped even, which might derail the scribing tool later.  I was toying with the idea of just sand the ends to have a nice rectangular opening but then I wouldn't be able to bond the edges together.

29NviOO.jpg

I was thinking the little door would be a breeze.   But it's shape was too arched that if you tried to align the ends flush to the body the middle arch juts out, and if you push down the middle the lower end falls inside.

fDRHFUb.jpg

So I tried to straighten it up with the long-nose and this is the best I could come up with.  Will let the sandpaper take care of things.

EFs28Jf.jpg

The port side was worse.  The lip for the bottom door is too low so there's a dip on the left edge when you glue it on which I would have to fill with putty.  

AmWGtdc.jpg

I had to brace the back with something so I can fill the gaps.    So I opened up the gear bay panels.

J0brrvU.jpg

And filled the door edges with Apoxie Sculpt before I went to bed.

ikNoPsv.jpg

And started sanding 8 hours later.

9BP65Tb.jpg

In hindsight I should have just glued on some styrene bulkhead for the door to conform to the fuse's shape instead of using lots of putty outside.   And I hope the Apoxie Sculpt lends itself well to scribing.  I've tried other putties before but they tend to crumble when scribed.

lt1yOkq.jpg

V7QWJFx.jpg

Will need a little more elbow grease to feather the putty but looks better now.  Thanks for stopping by!

Edited by crackerjazz

Hi Aigore, Wolfgunn, thanks!  Yeah the main doors take a bit of work.  

VoBVN5Q.jpg

Feathered...

g4Scehf.jpg

8VjXLkA.jpg

XCLmjGj.jpg

I decided to work on the other A-7, too.  This door fits nicely, once you scrape off some material from the right side.

MRU5cZo.jpg

sVaHz9A.jpg

KNi6rMR.jpg

1gHTkJq.jpg

Painting the other cockpit.

UnM2dll.jpg

I messed up the IP of the other Corsair.   I painted it but wasn't too happy so I wiped it off using lacquer thinner so I can start over.   And the plastic turned into a gooey molten mess.   I don't know what I was thinking.  I'm always careful about lacquer thinner getting onto the model but clearly I wasn't thinking in this case.   I should've taken a photo of it but couldn't find it in the waste basket anymore.

SDOXHat.jpg

A while back I picked up an Aires cockpit which turned out to be for the Hobby Boss kit and wouldn`t fit the Hase fuselage.   I'll just use the IP for the other A-7.  

igGEGLy.jpg

Painted her up.

A4Q0N8Y.jpg

rfeKICX.jpg

aKLhFI0.jpg

ZcbWwoh.jpg

ArTyFqX.jpg

VN9m4Wo.jpg

On the second cockpit I found that I could flare the ends of the canopy breakers just by making the same cut on the ends and flaring them but not breaking them off totally.  

Edited by crackerjazz

Thanks, Steve, CaptainObvious!  : )

Took a break from the doors and wrestled with a pilot figure to get him to fit into the seat.  Got a good batch of figures that I could use, c/o Darren - thanks!  This one's a Tamiya-Hasegawa combo.  Have to check if I need to modify the helmet.  And there are 2 hoses right now, one will have to go.   Does anyone know where the hose connects to inside the cockpit?

adUCxHs.jpg

ZnGmrQn.jpg

pJv673O.jpg

1Tc5Gcy.jpg

Edited by crackerjazz
6 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

...  Does anyone know where the hose connects to inside the cockpit? ...

Here are links to photos of the Escapac IC-2 & IG-2 ejection seats.

http://www.ejectionsite.com/texans/ig2.jpg

http://www.ejectionsite.com/texans/ic2front.jpg

The oxygen hose connection is located at the bottom of the seat back on the right side (the pilot's left side).

Is this what you're looking for?

Edited by JohnS

Aigore, MFAF, thanks! Hey, John, thanks so much.  Yes, that's what I needed.  I was under the impression that the hose from his oxygen mask connects directly to that hose on the starboard-side console that I see on Aires A-7 cockpits.   But then I thought if that were true, then it would rip the mask right off his face if he ejects.  So it makes sense that it connects to something on the seat itself.  What is that hose on the console for, by the way?

mjAIeCV.jpg

Edited by crackerjazz
2 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

...  What is that hose on the console for, by the way? ...

Good question!

I did a quick search but can't find a photo of those hoses.

Here's what I did find;

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/127872-i-need-a-7e-cockpit-photos-help/

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/superheat162/AC photos/aDSCN1180.jpg

Here's a link to a copy of the A-7D Flight Manual including photos & outline drawings of the cockpit panels.  See Page 27, Figure 1-5 showing the righthand panel.

http://www.avialogs.com/index.php/en/aircraft/usa/vought/a-7corsairii/to-1a-7d-1-a-7d-corsair-ii-flight-manual.html

John

• crackerjazz changed the title to A-7E Corsair II - Hasegawa 1/48 (Twin build - Completed)