A-7E Corsair II - Hasegawa 1/48 (Twin build - Completed)

Yes, phenomenal work. I can't tell you how much I admire your abilities and your patience. I started a kit like this years ago, I would like to get back to it, going to your standards! Looking forward to seeing this finished!

Hi Aigore, Joel, Janman, thanks!!  Gianni, would love to see that model!   Hi B.Sin, thanks for the kind words.  Some progress pics on one MER.  I would mark the bottom of the swaybraces with paint and hold a bomb against it to see where to glue the disks.   It's not a very effective method and a couple bombs ended up misaligned.  Some swaybrace swivel footpads are out of alignment, too, and if I detach them I'm sure a lot of other parts will break off. Will leave them alone and use a different method for the other MERs.   

27429464128_1401502c6d_b.jpg

40405855975_a4000b3e6f_b.jpg

27429464018_b39d143041_b.jpg

40405855795_3a66f8f218_b.jpg

40405855585_0c80d0df3e_b.jpg

40405855405_580f36a291_b.jpg

27429463558_abb503c907_b.jpg

40405855265_6b3b95fd13_b.jpg

Edited by crackerjazz

CrackerJazz,

Looks darn good to me.  Maybe go at it from the other direction. Glue the pads to the sway braces, then a drop of CCA and hold to the bomb till it dries. 

Joel

Thanks zaxos345, JohnS :rolleyes:

41643133281_39e0489d11_b.jpg

Ran out of shackles and re-shaped some more from the Hasegawa weapons box.  

I've managed to attach stores for three MERs.  One more to go for this bird.  Haven't glued the footpads on yet, but I found an easier technique by just inserting the footpads between the shackles and the bomb.  Will need to do some touchup paintwork.

41603711242_8aa3a836b1_b.jpg

Besides having the tiny bolts and cables shed like autumn leaves while I handled the MERs gluing the bombs on, one really tough issue I had was alignment.   For the longest time I was trying to avoid David Aungst's method of using pins.   Now I realize it's the only way to align the bombs correctly rather than gluing them on by eye.  I don't have small brass rods but still had the 0.4mm rods I got for the swaybraces.   I used the method on a couple bombs on the previous three MERs and it worked pretty well.   I would drill corresponding holes on the bombs, trim down the pins, insert and glue.     I should just probably get the Eduard bombs and MERs next time  : (

41603711052_c2a7acc693_b.jpg

27774892658_f61d18b20d_b.jpg

27774892638_aaf38dd0c4_b.jpg

Edited by crackerjazz

Fantastic work on the MERs and bombs, the details are stunning....almost as I would like to increase your workload even more....with that level of detail perhaps you should add the arming wire to the bombs? 

Hi Janne,  thanks : )   I'll try to see if I can find references for those wires.  I gave in and ordered some Eduard stuff for the other A-7.   I just had to get them -- for some reason I get so envious of whatever you're building.  I want to say I'm "inspired" but that's not what I'm feeling -- it's really envy.  I covet whatever new stuff you have -- maybe that's the best term, haha  : )

Edited by crackerjazz
34 minutes ago, crackerjazz said:

Hi Janne,  thanks : )   I'll try to see if I can find references for those wires.  I gave in and ordered some Eduard stuff for the other A-7.   I just had to get them -- for some reason I get so envious of whatever you're building.  I want to say I'm "inspired" but that's not what I'm feeling -- it's really envy.  I covet whatever new stuff you have -- maybe that's the best term, haha  : )

LOL

Well I'm amazed and awed by what you are building and the rich, crisp detailing....that is truly inspiring stuff!

The arming wire would go from the forward part of the bomb rack to the upper arming vane on the nose fuze, the wire would extend 3 inches (on the real thing) from the fuze.

That is the only arming wire required since we rarely did electrical fuzing on MER's and TER's.

hth

CrackerJazz,

Wow!!  your Mervs with loads on look incredible. I hear ya about the alignment issues, and for the few jet builds I've done, this has always been one of the most frustrating parts. The pin idea is so simple, yet looks not only effective but fool proof for even me.

Janne,

Thanks  for posting the arming diagram. it will certainly come in handy for me on my next F4 build

Joel

22 hours ago, Aigore said:

14023_45_1.jpg

This is not the correct arming wire routing for the A-7, this is for the F-18. For the F-4, it would depend on the timeframe.

For the A-7, the nose fuze arming wire (Mk 9) would go from the forward mechanical arming to the fuze and all arming wires were ran after the weapon was loaded.

Edited by GW8345
  • crackerjazz changed the title to A-7E Corsair II - Hasegawa 1/48 (Twin build - Completed)