A-7E Corsair II - Hasegawa 1/48 (Twin build - Completed)

Actually, they are not always DGG, they can be LGG or black or not there at all. And all those variations might exist in the same squadron.  They were generally locally applied, so it was up to the individual squadron what color they were. Differences would occur because during turnarounds between cruises, aircraft transferred out and others came in, often from other squadrons, and if the walkways were already there, they generally remained, regardless of color.  It is a classic case of check for photos of the aircraft you want to do, or aircraft from that squadron in the same timeframe. Vitaly, in the example you inquired about, a VA-83 CAG aircraft, the walkway is black, so if that is the aircraft you wish to do, go with black , which was the most common color of the walkways in VA-83.  Whatever color you go with, they are non-skid, so they have a rough texture to them, definitel NOT gloss.

Cheers,

Tom

I was able to glue on all of the slicks  -- for one jet at least.   This calls for a celebration and I can treat myself to some ice cream : )    I was having so much trouble with alignment (even with the styrene pins on) that some bombs are wonky but I don't care anymore, haha.  I'm just so happy I'm done with the gluing.   Just need to paint the fuzes properly and repair some of the bomb rear openings that crumbled from drilling.

41849969772_1ebacfaaa2_b.jpg

40085651660_b4aa45dcd1_b.jpg

40085651270_3cff28a821_b.jpg

40085651560_bf4777b55f_b.jpg

No pylons yet so the MERs are tilted in this photo -- but just wanted a preview of how the bombs would look on the wings.   They look good enough when you stand back a bit.  Next time, though,  I'll make sure to get some of those Brassin bombs and MERs in Aigore's build --  for worry-free alignment and exquisite detail. 

40085651480_3ace69e2f4_b.jpg

41849970042_341ac7b66f_b.jpg

Edited by crackerjazz
19 hours ago, TTomcaTT said:

Thanks Tom . We need this 300 

00.jpg.bbcb2a570444b95c09859ca26a6ca2d7.🙂

It is black, Vitaly.  I would note that the Sidewinder depicted in the profile is totally wrong.That appears to be an AIM-9E, a USAF version not used by the Navy. It should be an AIM-9D/G.

e157530nh300acs-gvds1970.jpg

Hi CapO, thanks, I'm glad you like 'em.  I did try to weather them as best I could as I'm not sure how the paintjob/weathering will turn out on the fuselage.  I figured at least the bombs will look good :)  I'm really learning a lot from this build.  Vitaliy, thanks! Looking forward to seeing your Golden Dragons build. Good info, Yoxford,  I was planning on attaching mines on stations 3 and 6 since I've used up 12,000 pounds and still have 3,000 left, but didn't want any drop tanks, but I guess now that won't be possible.  Actually, I wasn't even sure if A-7s were ever loaded in such a manner - for bombing and deploying mines on a single mission.

Edited by crackerjazz

Fenomenal, I'm think the alignment looks great and the weathering is just right 😄

hope my snakes will come off at least half as good as your slicks and I'll be happy.

4 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

Actually, I wasn't even sure if A-7s were ever loaded in such a manner - for bombing and deploying mines on a single mission.

Nope, we won't do GP Bombs and Mines together.

If I may suggest, instead of putting mines on station 3 and 6, put parent rack Mk 82 or Mk 83.

Crackerjazz,

Now that's impressive. The variation in weathering really kicks your loads up a few notches.  I'm in the camp of just having every bomb look like the rest of the loads, but you've shown me the light. Well done. Very well done. Sure hope you enjoyed your ice cream.

Joel

Hi Janne, MFAF, thanks!  Joel, the ice cream was good thanks.   I tend to make celebrations out of anything just to get away with eating it.  I know I should be avoiding it though -- I can't stop once I start : )    Hi, GW, sorry -- by "parent rack" you mean an MER?  Hi cema_ga, thanks for stopping by!  

2 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

Hi Janne, MFAF, thanks!  Joel, the ice cream was good thanks.   I tend to make celebrations out of anything just to get away with eating it.  I know I should be avoiding it though -- I can't stop once I start : )    Hi, GW, sorry -- by "parent rack" you mean an MER?  Hi cema_ga, thanks for stopping by!  

CrackerJazz,

Tell me about it. I just officially started my current diet so I kicked it off last night with a smallish bowl of Strawberry Ice cream, my current favorite.  

Joel

8 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

Sorry, Parent Rack means directly to the pylon, no MER/TER's.

Not sure how accurate you are trying to get but if you are 12,000 lbs of ordnance (plus a thousand for MER's) you are over max cat weight (with a full bag of gas) so leaving the inboard stations empty would be more accurate. We did six Mk 84's a few times, with two AIM-9M's and a full load of rounds and we had to launch them off with 7.5K gas (normal was 10.2K internal) just so they would be below (barely) max cat weight.

LOL, that was definitely a good way to start it off, Joel : )     Hey, GW, that works for me.   I'm fine with empty inboard pylons -- as long as I get to keep the 24 Mk-82s  : )    I was also not planning on loading any sidewinders.

• 7 months later...

I found a used Revell Intruder kit and borrowed the MERs -- they look really good.

I did pick up some of those Aerobonus sets.    But these kit swaybraces take to rough handling better, so building is quicker with less worry of breakage.

31372227677_ea128763e8_b.jpg

46311138391_21c3595107_b.jpg

31372227597_d35a13928c_b.jpg

32439013748_f6c2bc8428_b.jpg

46311138261_0fa94f1537_b.jpg

My only complaints are that the rear ends are not the circular kind; the cables are not too scale-looking but viewed from a distance they look great.

32439013698_3a8231dbe8_b.jpg

And those sink marks/deformations right above the bottom pylons, wow.   Although I think they won't be too visible when the bombs are attached. 

I'm trying not to do too much additional work as I find I get too hung up on details that I don't get to finish any build, while the stash just keeps growing.

31372227377_51d3e1fb5b_b.jpg

46311138201_98ba41403a_b.jpg

32439013648_5eca569e98_b.jpg

Those sink marks on the MER's strongback are what made me order the Eduard ones but, they are too short. Hopefully with ordnance installed they won't be noticeable. It's kind of a pain to get all those swaybraces lined up correctly though.

Steve

• crackerjazz changed the title to A-7E Corsair II - Hasegawa 1/48 (Twin build - Completed)