A-7E Corsair II - Hasegawa 1/48 (Twin build - Completed)

CJ,

Bombs look great!

If I may suggest, paint the nose of the MER's the squadron color and add a wire going from the forward lug (forward hole you filled) on the bomb to the nose fuze (with the wire extending a millimeters from the fuze) to simulate the nose fuze arming wire.

For yellowing decals, on trick I've done is tape the decals to a window that faces the sun (decals facing out the window). The sun will "bleach" the decals clear in a few days.

hth

GW

Thanks GW, will give it a try.    

27083960858_a4e60dee25_b.jpg

I'm trying to decide which rod to use.   0.5mm looks right when viewed by eye but on camera looks too thick.

40913219842_18a5b27e8a_b.jpg

And 0.24 looks too thin?    I may need something in between.    Couldn't find any brass wire of the right diameter though.

The small black wire you are using is perfect, on the real MER's and TER's the sway braces were not that thick, about a 1/2 inch in diameter. A 7/16 inch wrench/socket was used to tighten them down and the threaded area was just a little bigger than the 7/16 inch head.

The jam nuts were 5/8 inch.

Paint both the sway brace and jam nuts silver.

Funny how I can remember crap like that but can't remember what I had for dinner two nights ago.:rofl:

Edited by GW8345

Hi John, thanks!  I finally found some 0.4mm brass tube from the dark recesses of the parts bin.  A bit more difficult to cut especially to uniform lengths but the thickness does look good.  I might give it a try.

26086059617_1de184be7d_b.jpg

Hi GW, thanks for the info!  I testfitted the ones with the black rods just to see how they look.   What a nightmare trying to align these things with 4 glue points to run after.    I had to glue the discs/"feet" of the swaybraces onto the bombs first to conform to the curvature. I then had trouble locating them to line up with the swaybraces.  Couldn't see the fit very well without gluing, and once the gel glue binds it's pretty much permanent.  I had to do a teardown a couple times but not without resulting nicks and scratches on the finished surfaces and having to replace damaged discs.     I'll charge it to experience for this first bomb.  1 down 47 to go : (     Maybe for the next ones I'm gonna try putting on some white paint on the ends of the swaybraces and touch the bombs to mark the locations.  Still, I think a jig would be a big help.

40064828615_020b087bc1_b.jpg

Will need to fix a cable that broke off.   Will need to add the "real" mounting hooks later, as well as the ejector foot. 

40064828355_23097f1580_b.jpg

26086059737_0134ea4dde_b.jpg

40064828175_f31f869a97_b.jpg

Just remembered I needed to fix the rear ends of the bombs, too. 

Edited by crackerjazz

CrackerJazz,

I'm really impressed not only with your detailing but how you manage to find household items that really work well for detailing.

As for the  yellowing decals, it's just the clear film that yellows.  It's a lot of work, but cutting out all the clear film will solve your problem. Back in the 70s we always removed all the clear film and that was with 1/72 scale aircraft decals, simply because some if not all of the film would end up showing, and that's how we solved the problem. 

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Hi TTomcaTT, beautiful screws -- do you use them for 1/48 MERs?  Hi Joel, thanks --  just making do on a budget : )   Thanks for the decals tip -- I'll try that, too.

I cut up more jam nuts and 0.4mm swaybraces.   

40954272052_958eaf9af5_b.jpg

40286513634_631db858e7_b.jpg

27124961018_e765976daa_b.jpg

27124960848_65453af256_b.jpg

40286513664_d6ff8e7fc8_b.jpg

And that's how she looked before she toppled over and came crashing to the floor and was back to step 1 in an instant.  But I'm glad I took photos to show you guys.   High time I made that jig I kept putting off  : (

Both of you have taken those MERS to a whole new level. I shutter to think of all the corrections and details I'll have to add on my next jet build just to keep up with the new status quo.

Joel

1. If I may, what year are you trying to represent? I ask because shortly after the Enterprise accident, a thermal coating was developed to allow more time for “cook off” so firefighting efforts could get to ordinance in time. This would be depicted with two yellow stripes at the nose of GP shapes. i.e., one stripe means HIgh Explosive (H.E.), two yellow stripes means H.E. with termal protective coating.

Before getting my wings, I was in the Weapons Assembly Division on the Nimitz. As a modeler, I took note that the shapes were more Olive Drab, while conical and Snake-eye fins had more of a Dark Green shade to them.

Tracy

Edited by Vidar_710
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:01 AM, crackerjazz said:

27124960848_65453af256_b.jpg

And that's how she looked before she toppled over and came crashing to the floor and was back to step 1 in an instant.  But I'm glad I took photos to show you guys.   High time I made that jig I kept putting off  : (

That looks fantastic!

I hope the fall didn't do too much damage.

82Whitey51, thanks!  I decided on using Stingers VA-113 decals.   I just got the Icarus set with a staggering number of stencils.   Looks like the planes will be riddled with them : )

40400650814_9b8598b47d_b.jpg

Thanks, GW, CapO!   I lost the swaybraces, save a few.   I still don't understand how they could just vanish --  the carpet monster is very real.   Lost a couple cables but frankly I was expecting to see no cables at all : )   I guess the gel glue did a good job of keeping them intact.    Where'd I read that -- there was a post somewhere recently that said a hobby is supposed to relax you and not create stress.  I do find this hobby stressful at times.  Funny how I keep coming back to it : )

Edited by crackerjazz
8 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

Thanks, GW, CapO!   I lost the swaybraces, save a few.   I still don't understand how they could just vanish --  the carpet monster is very real.   Lost a couple cables but frankly I was expecting to see no cables at all : )   I guess the gel glue did a good job of keeping them intact.    Where'd I read that -- there was a post somewhere recently that said a hobby is supposed to relax you and not create stress.  I do find this hobby stressful at times.  Funny how I keep coming back to it : )

Gosh, I hate it when I lose parts.

For my tomcat build, I lost one of the pilot's hand, 2 antennae and a pitot probe. Urgh.

I keep telling myself that this hobby should be relaxing too.

Truth is, victory is sweeter when the struggle is tough!

At least that is what I keep telling myself... :rolleyes:

You guys make me laugh. Like both of you, I keep on telling myself I model for the enjoyment and fun of it, and just try my best.  No stress, no sweat.  So how come at times I lay in bed trying to figure things out that just didn't go as planned, and have to come up with answers to my wife who wants to know why I keep on torturing myself building models, as she does hear the occasional cus or two or three, coming out of my model/computer room. 

Joel

Yeah,  we're like torturing ourselves for fun  : )   Looking for lost fiddly bits is one challenge of this hobby I haven't learned accept, though  : (      Anyway, I guess the only hobby that doesn't have any challenge is watching tv : )

Hey, I found some 0.4mm styrene rods at the LHS.    Evergreen doesn't carry them (their smallest is 0.5mm) but Plastruct does.    I wasn't successful at cutting the 0.4mm brass pipes to uniform lengths using the xacto.  They either don't roll right as you cut or the blade wanders or the cuts don't end up square.   The styrene rods cut nicely with the chopper.

39417576090_0f897b0337_b.jpg

41183320922_733d6f08e1_b.jpg

26355061647_2cc0257881_b.jpg

I breathed a big sigh of relief getting over the hurdle of cutting the bolts equally.   Still have to go through the pain of gluing them on one by one, though (That doesn't really carry through when you view the pics : )    

39417576050_3365714827_b.jpg

I wasn't after a dreamy look with the faded edges.  The camera just wouldn't focus : (   

• crackerjazz changed the title to A-7E Corsair II - Hasegawa 1/48 (Twin build - Completed)