Howdy.

Gonna try doing a in progress post for this build. Recently moved back to 1/48 (from 1/32) Jets - traded most of the 1/32 away for 1/48 but this particular kit has been in the back of my stash for years - pretty sure I got it right when released maybe around 2012? Anyway I have a ton of aftermarket for it:

Dmold intakes

Wolfpack seats and wheel wells

Profimodeler pitot

Master refueling probe

Hypersonic exhausts

Eduard various sets and wheels

GFactor brass gear (for the Revell kit but it looks maybe more detailed than the Kinetic plastic gear)

Steel Beach mask set

Markings will probably be Blue Blasters VA-34 around 1995 though I do not have specific decals for that year; I think I have enough info to piece the markings together and will print what ever I cannot source from other sheets (markings are mostly dark grey/black) Will probably hang HARM or maybe HARPOON under the wings with a center fuel tank. 

I have already a start on the interior with some paint and have done a lot of playing around with the plastic taping stuff together and testing fit and areas to improve. Some notes:

-the fit of the cockpit into the fuselage is a little rough

-the fit of the wings to the fuselage is not great but looks easy enough to tweak them to fit better

-most air scoops on fuselage could use opening up/drilling out

-panel lines are a bit inconsistent and missing all together in spots (vertical tail)

-fit of exhausts is not great but going to use the Hypersonic set anyway

-the leading edge of the vertical tail seems overly thick/blunt

-the trailing edges of the wings seem a little thick too

IK5vR7a.jpg

Edited by Petrov27
6 hours ago, Aigore said:

Nice a fellow intruder builder :D

Oh, didn't know there was exhaust sets and wheel wells for it......where did you find those?

Exhaust is from Hypersonic - it is designed for the HB Intruder but looks like it will fit the Kinetic with some work:

http://www.hypersonicmodels.co.uk/product/a-6-intruder-exhausts

Wheel wells are from Wolfpack - actually intended for the EA-6B Kinetic kit but again look like they might fit into the A-6E and offer some detail improvement

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/wpd48115.htm

Thanks!

48 minutes ago, Petrov27 said:

Exhaust is from Hypersonic - it is designed for the HB Intruder but looks like it will fit the Kinetic with some work:

http://www.hypersonicmodels.co.uk/product/a-6-intruder-exhausts

Wheel wells are from Wolfpack - actually intended for the EA-6B Kinetic kit but again look like they might fit into the A-6E and offer some detail improvement

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/wpd48115.htm

Thanks!

Thanx a lot :D will spend som dough!

12 minutes ago, Aigore said:

Thanx a lot :D will spend som dough!

Cool :)

I intend to break into the exhausts this afternoon - looks like you need to sort these out prior to closing the fuselage halves - quite a few bits there but looks straightforward - I will hopefully get some pics up late today

Not the squadron you plan on but here is an interesting load:

DN-SC-87-00480.jpeg

left to right, empty MER, MER with 3 Mk-20 Rockeyes, fuel tank, Harpoon and an AIM-9. Just before the events in Libya 1986.

Jari

Yeah that is pretty cool - dont see the AIM9 loaded on the Intruder very often!

I was leaning to this loadout - it just looks like the A-6 could put some major hurt on an attacking fleet....

RGM-84-Harpoon-008.jpg

RGM-84-Harpoon-003.jpg

Edited by Petrov27

So a start on the Hypersonic exhausts - each side is five resin parts that you have to carefully separate from a resin block along with an etched ring - the sections are keyed to fit together in a certain way. A lot of work but I think they are going to look far better than the kits - there is some very nice detail on the last piece that exits the aircraft. Also been painting the cockpit and seats, applying the Eduard bits - maybe get far enough tomorrow night to share pics of those...

3SepTCm.jpg

Things to look out for- the wingtip light lenses are too small for the space provided and the wingtip speed brakes, if built closed, aren't thick enough leaving an awkward spot where the hinge mechanism leaves the top of the wing. At this spot there is a gap because the speed brakes are not as thick at that point as the wing. I built the top of my speed brakes up with a piece of cardstock to build them up to match the thickness of the wing. The locating pins on the speed brake hinges need to be either removed or you would need to re-drill the holes in the adjusted brakes.

4 hours ago, Petrov27 said:

So a start on the Hypersonic exhausts - each side is five resin parts that you have to carefully separate from a resin block along with an etched ring - the sections are keyed to fit together in a certain way. A lot of work but I think they are going to look far better than the kits - there is some very nice detail on the last piece that exits the aircraft. Also been painting the cockpit and seats, applying the Eduard bits - maybe get far enough tomorrow night to share pics of those...

3SepTCm.jpg

Niiiiiice :D the resin looks enticing.

Ha - still tweaking the fit of the intakes but also some work on the aftermarket exhausts.

They look pretty rough on the outside but only the very end will be seen. Had to dremel a huge area to get them to go in though as in pics below - lots of work but hoping it pays off!

Also fitted the Wolfpack MLG wheel-well - fit was dicey. And Kinetic, whats up with the giant open slot in the bay there? Sheesh - gotta fill that in somehow....

xeujaqP.jpg

BVstVGj.jpg

RxSwimb.jpg?2

Q3vBxPA.jpg?1

Ouch....wheel well looks nice tho, perhaps just put in a piece of sheet plastic to cover the entire wall?

Darn those soft edges everywhere, hard to get that crispy look :/

Engines look fantastic....wondering where mine's at, ordered them more than a week ago.

managed to finish the one wheel-bay and get the wing attached - looks a little rough but covers the gaping slot that Kinetic left there and the resin bay parts at least add some detail where there was none before

Now just need to do the other side:crying:

gWPGxPd.jpg?1

The wheelbay looks lightyears better than before!. How did you get the wing to fit so well?

I'm a bit stuck....i'm waiting for parts to arrive, the exhausts, cockpit, wheels and other stuff.

I can't put the wings in place as long as I don't have the exhausts for instance :/

In the mean time I'm enjoying your fantastic build!