F-15E Strike Eagle color issue

Hi all, 

Wondering what the correct color would be for the aluminum looking area on the bottom rear of the Strike Eagle. I tried Pale Burnt metal, and alclad steel and neither work well at all. I do have Alclad Chrome I could use, or should I go with airframe aluminum? 

Want to get that bit right for sure. 

Open to using any type of airbrushable metalizer paint, Like MM metalizers or otherwise. 

16 minutes ago, DonSS3 said:

I think I used Metalizer Titanium on my F-15C and it looked pretty accurate to me. I think this NMF area IS titanium so it should look close.

You didnt find it too dark? I think Ti is a good idea. Hadn't even considered that before. 

35 minutes ago, BoeingDriver said:

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I primed w/semi gloss black and used MM aluminium.  Once I weathered the panels it looked pretty close to me. 

IMG_0416.jpg

So you primed the whole thing Semi gloss black? Testors explicitly says do not prime Metalizers. It does look pretty good from my viewpoint. 

1 hour ago, BoeingDriver said:

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I primed w/semi gloss black and used MM aluminium.  Once I weathered the panels it looked pretty close to me. 

IMG_0416.jpg

What are you know you act like you spend time around the aircraft or something. Muahhhhhhhhh. Just kidding

28 minutes ago, Flyboy3394 said:

So you primed the whole thing Semi gloss black? Testors explicitly says do not prime Metalizers. It does look pretty good from my viewpoint. 

Yep, I still primed.  Those panels look different depending on the light.  Crew Chiefs spend some time constantly wiping those panels down during inspections.  A few were even polished.  

3 hours ago, BoeingDriver said:

Here's a fat guy (me) standing in front of my old jet.  The panels aren't really that dark despite be titanium.

IMG_6226.jpg

That's awesome you got to pose with your Eagle! Looks like you're right, too, about Testors aluminum being a far better match than their titanium. I've got a Strike Eagle in the pipeline too, so this helps.

My attempt here: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/229983-rvl-148-f-15k/&do=findComment&comment=2211892

I used Alclad polished aluminum for the largest metallic area. The bluish rings is MM metalizer aluminum. The other colors are MM titanium, Alclad pale burnt metal, Alclad stainless steel and a few others. For primer, i used future sprayed directly onto bare plastic. 

1 hour ago, Janissary said:

My attempt here: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/229983-rvl-148-f-15k/&do=findComment&comment=2211892

I used Alclad polished aluminum for the largest metallic area. The bluish rings is MM metalizer aluminum. The other colors are MM titanium, Alclad pale burnt metal, Alclad stainless steel and a few others. For primer, i used future sprayed directly onto bare plastic. 

That is a cool build you had there.  I was scratching my head a bit, but cool none the less.  I personally know two of those guys whose names are on the side of that jet.

14 hours ago, BoeingDriver said:

Here's a fat guy (me) standing in front of my old jet.  The panels aren't really that dark despite be titanium.

IMG_6226.jpg

That's pretty wild that 186 is still flying long after I stopped! Wasn't it named Spirit of Goldsboro? I just happened to be plane spotting from the fence across the runway from the ramp the day it arrived at SJAFB. 

Ben

10 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

That's pretty wild that 186 is still flying long after I stopped! Wasn't it named Spirit of Goldsboro? I just happened to be plane spotting from the fence across the runway from the ramp the day it arrived at SJAFB. 

Ben

It was the wing flagship and I was its Crew Chief at the time.  I worked that jet for six years.  I'm actually from Goldsboro too :D 6186 was the fourth Strike built and the first delivered to Luke in 1988.  She would've gotten to SJ in 94 when they transferred the FTU's to NC.

Interesting! I used to work out of Kinston back in the '80s to '91 and would often drive up to Goldsboro, grab a BBQ sandwich from Wilbur's, and head over to those roads east of the base to watch airplanes. I guess I need to dig up my photos and find out what jet was the first City of Goldsboro, back in '90(?). This starting to give me the urge to build another Revell F-15E! 

Ben

Question for you guys, i've just started my Revell strike also and wanted to know if there are any 1/48 scale SDB available? Also, do you guys spray gunship straight from the bottle or lighten it up a bit with some white? 

On 8/28/2017 at 10:23 AM, Flyboy3394 said:

You didnt find it too dark? I think Ti is a good idea. Hadn't even considered that before. 

I don't believe it's too dark,  took this photo of an F-15D in Iceland in (IIRC) 1993.

1516.jpg

Even allowing for it being on the underside of the aircraft, it still still looks pretty dark. 

Edited by DonSS3
6 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Interesting! I used to work out of Kinston back in the '80s to '91 and would often drive up to Goldsboro, grab a BBQ sandwich from Wilbur's, and head over to those roads east of the base to watch airplanes. I guess I need to dig up my photos and find out what jet was the first City of Goldsboro, back in '90(?). This starting to give me the urge to build another Revell F-15E! 

Ben

Flagships rotate from squadron to squadron about every 2 to 4 years.  89-0487 was the flagship for a while from the 335th.

Edited by BoeingDriver
On 8/30/2017 at 4:13 AM, B-ONE27 said:

Question for you guys, i've just started my Revell strike also and wanted to know if there are any 1/48 scale SDB available? Also, do you guys spray gunship straight from the bottle or lighten it up a bit with some white? 

Here is my Strike Eagle I painted yesterday. Its very dark, but I really like it. I will dilute it a tiny bit for the nose, as apparently the nose section is typically lighter than the main fuselage. 

2kcsjmt.jpg

2 hours ago, Flyboy3394 said:

Here is my Strike Eagle I painted yesterday. Its very dark, but I really like it. I will dilute it a tiny bit for the nose, as apparently the nose section is typically lighter than the main fuselage. 

2kcsjmt.jpg

Thanks flyboy3394, your strike is looking good. I'm just on the cockpit part of my strike. I am going for a subdue look on my GG finish, so im thinking a drop or two of white because my experience with MM GG is so stark out of bottle.

Edited by B-ONE27
2 minutes ago, B-ONE27 said:

Thanks flyboy3394, your strike is looking good. I'm just on the cockpit part of my strike but I am going for a subdue look on my GG finish, thinking a drop of two of white to make it not so stark out of bottle.

Yeah think that could be a good idea. This is super dark. I do not think it is quite this dark in real life. Close, but not 100%. May do some postshading to lighten things up a bit. Not sure though. In terms of fine lines with my airbrush, I am less than confident. May just call it and go with my panel line wash and decals....