Ridiculous pricing on the bay

I cruise the model listings on the bay regularly. I find neat stuff sometimes. BUT I often find ridiculous pricing too. I just saw a Monogram 1/48 Helldiver listed at $58.00! Are these people just really ill informed or do they do this deliberately to influence average pricing? ( I once had a boss who said he wanted to be the man selling $50 hot dogs. He said you won't sell many - but at $50 how many you gotta sell?)

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 3:45 PM, fool on the hill said:

I cruise the model listings on the bay regularly. I find neat stuff sometimes. BUT I often find ridiculous pricing too. I just saw a Monogram 1/48 Helldiver listed at $58.00! Are these people just really ill informed or do they do this deliberately to influence average pricing? ( I once had a boss who said he wanted to be the man selling $50 hot dogs. He said you won't sell many - but at $50 how many you gotta sell?)

I would label it as a price gouge! I know one shop (think of Godzilla in the Virginia/Maryland area that I used to buy a lot of photo etch from. Two years ago he had a certain Sherman upgrade kit for $39. As soon as Verlinden closed, he added twenty dollars to the $39. Now he's added another twenty ontop of the previous gouge. I hope he ends up eating that resin for lunch, cause I'll just use the plastic stuff from Italeri.

gary

I think the Helldiver is out of production so maybe he thinks it is worth more? Also this may be what he is asking and no one is biting. I look at a lot of stuff on there but in many cases cannot buy since the base price is steep. I live in Canada so with the exchange and shipping it is more than double what it is listed for.

Edited by skyhawk174

True there are some sellers on EBay charging crazy prices for kits, decals, and accessories (not to mention rather high shipping rates). But as "habu2" alludes to if the seller is able to push his/her items out the door for those crazy prices to a willing buyer then all the power to them in my opinion. Besides, the flip side exists on EBay for the patient and shrewd EBay buyer. Last night I picked up a lot of four of the new tool Airfix 1/72 kits (Spit, Zero, AVG Curtis P-40, and 109) for less then $5 each (all kits new and sealed with paints, brush, and glue...not that they matter but the brushes come in handy).  So, even though there are some wacky prices on EBay there are also some good deals if you are patient and bide your time.

My two cents.

Regards,

Don

It also helps to look for typos in the titles. You can sometimes find items that aren't getting any action because of that, like "steem engine" and "gruman"...

If it's the Pro-Modeller Helldiver, that's not too far out of the ballpark. It's on the high side, but it's also not unreasonable. It's what you would pay for a kit today, and it is definitely up to today's standards. Now, if it's the old Monogram Helldiver, he's nuts to ask that much!

You know there are guys that sell at the market demand price, and then there are folks that are just plain dishonest. Everybody here has a kit they want really bad, and just can't find it. Mine is kinda stupid as it's nothing but the Airfix Spitfire Mk.V. I've actually ordered it twice, and have yet to see one in the flesh! Anyway I've pretty much left Ebay 100%, as I've taken the beating too many times in the past. Plus I would much rather support my local LHS.

gary

Cutting Edge stuff is always good for a chuckle...is this stuff going to sell?? I suppose if the right person sees it, or a museum commissioned me to build it and they're picking up the tab. But an average Joe modeler??? I'd love to have the A3J-1/A-5A set...but I have my limits.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-48-Cutting-Edge-48469-Tu-4-Kong-Jiang-1-Chinese-AWACS-New-Complete-Un-started-/142472838928?hash=item212c0aff10:g:8KYAAOSwwVRZjU69

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-48-Cutting-Edge-48493-A3J-1-Vigilante-Conversion-New-Complete-Un-started-/142472837419?hash=item212c0af92b:g:J-4AAOSwBwBZjU3m

...oh, and you WILL pay for shipping! LOL...

Edited by 82Whitey51
3 hours ago, 82Whitey51 said:

Cutting Edge stuff is always good for a chuckle...is this stuff going to sell?? I suppose if the right person sees it, or a museum commissioned me to build it and they're picking up the tab. But an average Joe modeler??? I'd love to have the A3J-1/A-5A set...but I have my limits.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-48-Cutting-Edge-48469-Tu-4-Kong-Jiang-1-Chinese-AWACS-New-Complete-Un-started-/142472838928?hash=item212c0aff10:g:8KYAAOSwwVRZjU69

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-48-Cutting-Edge-48493-A3J-1-Vigilante-Conversion-New-Complete-Un-started-/142472837419?hash=item212c0af92b:g:J-4AAOSwBwBZjU3m

...oh, and you WILL pay for shipping! LOL...

Holy cow!   This guy is way overpricing all his stuff.   Crazy....

The biggest laughs are the 1/48 Collect Aire resin kit subjects that have been released in injection form, but are still being listed as if they were the only kit available.  Now would someone release an injection 1/48 Republic F-108 Rapier please..?

Rick L.

..and a B-45, and an XB-51, and a T-39, and.....

I wish more guys would not try and recoup on shipping. Low starting price but $17+ on shipping for something like a 1/48 single engine kit, or $12.50 for a kit you know weighs well under a pound boxed, or $5+ for a sheet of decals....pass. I have no problem paying a fair/realistic price, but not over inflated prices.

Edited by Charlie D.

I agree with "Charlie D". I have no problems paying a realistic price for a harder to find kit or something that's been OOP for a long while and may never be back in production again or anytime soon. Heck I'll even spend a little above "realistic" if its something I really want. But I won't pay for inflated and flat out stupid shipping costs. A week ago I was in the market for a 1/48 Monogram A-26 Invader. A seller on EBay had one for a very good price...but wanted $28 to ship! Heck he was just two States south of me but you'd think he was mailing it from Guam in a metal box lined with velvet or something.

Another thing that I find humorous is when kits like this...

Revell-1-48-P-40b.jpg

...are "RARE!" or "HARD TO FIND". Really?

Oh well. EBay is free entertainment I guess :stooges:

Regards,

Don

On 9/2/2017 at 7:42 PM, Charlie D. said:

I wish more guys would not try and recoup on shipping. Low starting price but $17+ on shipping for something like a 1/48 single engine kit, or $12.50 for a kit you know weighs well under a pound boxed, or $5+ for a sheet of decals....pass. I have no problem paying a fair/realistic price, but not over inflated prices.

Agreed...for decals I always offer Free shipping in the U.S.

I understand that some International shipping can be ridiculous too...there's a set of decals I want out of Australia: $7.15...but shipping is 20.50 USD. Nope.

On 9/2/2017 at 5:42 PM, Charlie D. said:

They're just trying to dodge ebay fees. Instead of going 20+10 shipped it's 10+20. Ebay takes a percentage of the sale but not the shipping so people try and get a little more that way.

30 minutes ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

They're just trying to dodge ebay fees. Instead of going 20+10 shipped it's 10+20. Ebay takes a percentage of the sale but not the shipping so people try and get a little more that way.

This.

Buying model kits on evilbay is dirty business, I disabled my second chance offer function because I got tired of getting outbid on a kit then getting an email from the seller right after trying to get my final bid for it saying the winning bidder didn't pay. This happens so much that I know it's not random, and only with scale model kits, not with the many R/C items I buy on a regular basis.

14 hours ago, bashace said:

Buying model kits on evilbay is dirty business, I disabled my second chance offer function because I got tired of getting outbid on a kit then getting an email from the seller right after trying to get my final bid for it saying the winning bidder didn't pay. This happens so much that I know it's not random, and only with scale model kits, not with the many R/C items I buy on a regular basis.

That's odd.

My experience with scale modelers is they are very prompt payers. Never had an issue with them. My brother sells skateboard clothes and holy hell the biggest bunch of deadbeats in the world. Something will be "sold" 4 times before someone actually pays for it a month after winning