I need a new compressor (preferably with a tank)

I have a California Air 1610A.  it has a 2 gallon tank, is fairly quiet, and has seen a lot of use.  it's well made.

They have some on Amazon, but that is not where I got mine as I recall.

California Air has quite a few models to choose from.

Also, pretty much anything from Iwata with a tank.  Something quiet was important to me.

Jester

Agree with everyone's comments above. I have a California Air Tools compressor as well, model #6310, which is no longer available but, there is another model close to what I purchased. Very quiet and I haven't had an issue with it to date. I purchased it back in January of 2015 from Home Depot on line and had it shipped to my house. Then I took the receipt back to Depot and they gave me my military discount too.

Steve

My current compressor (TCP TC-20) has been acting strangely lately and overheating (and going into thermal shutdown) much more rapidly, so after reading this I decided to bite the bullet and get a California Air Tools 2050a.  Will interesting to see how much quieter 54db is than my current 60db TCP.  $169 shipped from the manufacturer is not a bad deal at all.

Looking forward to giving it a try...

Thanks for the recommendations!

Edited by Fighting Eighty-Four
  • 1 month later...

Stupid question but, I have to ask. How do you guys hook your airbrush hoses up to the connector on those? Is there an adapter? I have 2compressors like the ones you guys are listing but, never saw how I could attach my ab hoses to them. Now that I’ve asked, I’m sure it’s as easy ,as this question is stupid.

5 hours ago, evilmedic13 said:

Stupid question but, I have to ask. How do you guys hook your airbrush hoses up to the connector on those? Is there an adapter? I have 2compressors like the ones you guys are listing but, never saw how I could attach my ab hoses to them. Now that I’ve asked, I’m sure it’s as easy ,as this question is stupid.

You can adapt down to the smaller hose used for airbrushes.  I am preparing to get a California Air Tools compressor, and I plan to also get something like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/KKmoon-Professional-Airbrush-Connector-Compressor/dp/B01MF5XD8K/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1509008364&sr=8-20&keywords=compressor+hose+adapter

On 8/29/2017 at 8:52 AM, swimmer25k said:

My cheapo Harbor Freight compressor (with a tank) is beginning to die.  Its ability to charge the tank is failing and it's not getting past 35 psi. 

Any recommendations are appreciated.  

Chris

If you are in the US, this will be a great choice for you:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-3-Gallon-Air-Compressor/54513339

When I came back into the hobby, I needed a compressor, so I bought a general home use one with a 1 gallon tank from Home Depot. The nose started becoming a issue with my family to the point that I could only air brush in my model/computer room (yeah, I'm lucky to have a room for my hobbies all to myself), only during certain times of the day. Finally, I saved enough extra money to purchase an Iwata Power Jet Pro that has two regulators for two separate lines out so that I can keep both of my air brushes attached at the same time. This isn't a feature I've ever used, but the difference in price was so minimal from the single line, that I went with it.  Having both air brushes always connected is just a convenience but a nice one at that. The air supply is a 2 liter tank, and the compressor is driven by a 1/6 hp motor. The unit is so quite that I can air brush in the dead of night without any issues. 

the unit, like all Iwata units aren't cheap. I paid about $435 for mine. I've seen Iwata compressors branded with other names, and I tend to believe that Iwata doesn't make them as their specialty is air brushes. Hopefully, this is the last compressor I'll need to buy. 

Joel

Just purchased a Lowe's Kobalt Quiet Tech 4.3 Gallon Twin Stack for 179.00 USD. Very quiet, didn't even startle my dogs lying beside it, carried out a conversation with the wife...AND..didn't have to adjust the volume of TOP GUN in the background.

Extremely happy with the purchase.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Quiet-Tech-4-3-Gallon-Portable-Electric-Twin-Stack-Air-Compressor/1000125721

Edited by AlienFrogModeller
Punctuation
On 10/30/2017 at 9:58 AM, Joel_W said:

When I came back into the hobby, I needed a compressor, so I bought a general home use one with a 1 gallon tank from Home Depot. The nose started becoming a issue with my family to the point that I could only air brush in my model/computer room (yeah, I'm lucky to have a room for my hobbies all to myself), only during certain times of the day. Finally, I saved enough extra money to purchase an Iwata Power Jet Pro that has two regulators for two separate lines out so that I can keep both of my air brushes attached at the same time. This isn't a feature I've ever used, but the difference in price was so minimal from the single line, that I went with it.  Having both air brushes always connected is just a convenience but a nice one at that. The air supply is a 2 liter tank, and the compressor is driven by a 1/6 hp motor. The unit is so quite that I can air brush in the dead of night without any issues. 

the unit, like all Iwata units aren't cheap. I paid about $435 for mine. I've seen Iwata compressors branded with other names, and I tend to believe that Iwata doesn't make them as their specialty is air brushes. Hopefully, this is the last compressor I'll need to buy. 

Joel

+1 for the Iwata Power Jet Pro. It was an expensive purchase but I have never regretted it. I also have two airbrushes attached, plus it is as quiet as a mouse. It is just a well made professional quality compressor. If you can afford it, it is worth the money.

Agreed on being well worth it. But not according to my wife that sees no value to my life long hobby, especially the costs associated with it. But after putting up with it and me for nearly 36 years, it's safe to say that we're both here for the duration :worship:

Joel