Fisher RF-8 Conversion

35 minutes ago, Julien (UK) said:

Has anyone started / finished one? Just got mine and its top quality, just dont want to stuff it up.

JUlien

Try this site, www.largescaleplanes.com. I'm a member there, maybe someone has one started that I missed.

Steve

Hiya Julien - was curious - do you have a larger version of your signature pic of RF-8 that you might be able to share? Looks like a cool scheme - I think I have one or two other pics of it just not that one...

21 hours ago, Petrov27 said:

Hiya Julien - was curious - do you have a larger version of your signature pic of RF-8 that you might be able to share? Looks like a cool scheme - I think I have one or two other pics of it just not that one...

This is the size I have;

arc.jpg

I have a note which lists the photo credit to Vought, not sure might be a USN picture?

Julien

Thankya - the fuselage markings are really unusual - looks like a dragon and a dog? I have pics of the front of this a/c but this is the first I had seen the other markings. Would be a cool subject to build!

1 hour ago, Petrov27 said:

Interesting... I wonder if this is the same plane as below from VFP-62 just maybe a few years later with some modifications to the shark mouth design etc

Anything is possible. Modexes (908) were changed frequently, though maybe less so with a Photographic squadron that had multiple small detachments between different ships.

Here's a link to Modex 908 after Detachment 65's cruise on the USS Enterprise in 1964-RF-8 with Kangaroo Zap

It is possible the RF-8 from Julien's signature was taken on the wooden decked USS Shangri-La with it's USS Enterprise markings. Your photo could represent the same aircraft after being repainted for Detachment 38 on the Shangri-La, hence the CV-38 Island in the background. Guess the other photo I linked was from the same transition period as Juliens' signature photo.

From the gonavy website I derived VFP-62 had a Detachment on the USS Enterprise in 1963 and 1964. 

Yeah hard to say - still a great scheme either way. Would love to build in 1/48 but seems like any conversions are long OOP

Yes there was the maintrack and C&H conversions in 1.48, both challenging in there own way, and a War Eagle? Vac form. I have both the C&H and Maintrack conversions. Decals are very hard to find also in 1.48 if you dont want to use the ones in conversions. My Maintrack one has stalled for a while now as I dropped it and it fell apart! Yes that front part is sold resin!!

rf801.JPG

I decided to get the Fisher conversion as I managed to get the kit for a complete steal, otherwise, kit + conversion + decals starts to get very expensive.

Not to leave any scales out I also made one a few years ago in 1.72.

RF-8GNo2.jpg

Edited by Julien (UK)

Yeah hard to say - still a great scheme either way. Would love to build in 1/48 but seems like any conversions are long OOP

For what it's worth I recently purchased a 1/48 vacuform conversion from Dave Lochead at Kiwi Resin. Excellent person to do business with.

Here's the link-

Kiwi Resin vacuform RF-8 conversion

2 hours ago, Jim S said:

For what it's worth I recently purchased a 1/48 vacuform conversion from Dave Lochead at Kiwi Resin. Excellent person to do business with.

Here's the link-

Kiwi Resin vacuform RF-8 conversion

I'll second that, Dave is a good guy, I picked up two of the vac conversions from him. Wish Fisher would do more stuff in 1/48!

Hmm, not sure my skill level is up to handling a vac form. I assume you have to scribe the entire thing and not sure how I would depict many of the fuselage details. Maybe just keep my eyes open for one of the old resin conversions on ebay and such...

Maybe someday someone will do the longest serving Crusader variant in plastic (not terribly likely I fear)

13 hours ago, Petrov27 said:

Hmm, not sure my skill level is up to handling a vac form. I assume you have to scribe the entire thing and not sure how I would depict many of the fuselage details. Maybe just keep my eyes open for one of the old resin conversions on ebay and such...

Maybe someday someone will do the longest serving Crusader variant in plastic (not terribly likely I fear)

The Heinkel 162 didn't enter full service yet it has good kits in 1/72 ,1/48 and 1/32 from major manufacturers  , the RF-8 was in service for 30 years and no mainstream kit at all.