Coffee & cigarettes in the pit!

F-111 & FB-111 had ash trays & cup holders for pilot & WSO in the cockpit.  Some of the control boxes below the ashtray & cupholder would come in gummed up with spilt coffee & ash and have to be cleaned before checkout (a few buds worked these units in ATS).   I think this is the pic of a F-111 ashtray,  Any other early jets with ashtrays?  Certainly the Heavies had them, 1st hand, 2nd hand smoke was everywhere back in the 1970's, light 'em if you got 'em.  Wasn't until about 1986 that the smoking issue was addressed.  Bet a few aircrew had a smoke in the pit!

John

gqgmine.jpg?1

As a young kid, I still remember flying overseas airlines where smoking was allowed.  Talk about disgusting.   

Pretty sure Hueys had ashtrays on board, I'm guessing most aircraft of that vintage did.  Surprised that tactical jets had ashtrays though. 

1 hour ago, 11bee said:

As a young kid, I still remember flying overseas airlines where smoking was allowed.  Talk about disgusting.   

For me, it was as an adult, Sitting far away from the smoking section--usually the after part of the cabin--was yet another seating preference. Though I remember one SAS flight (I think, maybe KLM) from Oslo to Amsterdam where the smoking section was the starboard side of the aircraft! :angry:

In those days, you could also ask to visit the cockpit during the flight on some airlines, while some others might open the cockpit door for a casual look see while cruising at altitude...

In the airlines it was common.  I hear stories of old school captains on the 727 flying an Cat II ILS approach down to minimums, cigarette in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other while cursing out the new hire FE for screwing up the air conditioning. 

13 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Didn't tactical jets have the crew on pure O2?    Would that not present a bit of a fire hazard or could they shut off the feed to their oxygen masks while taking a smoke break?  

Yes and no.  Oxygen doesn't combust but a fire needs it to burn.  My dad was a doctor and I remember him mentioning once about seeing polio patients during the 50's smoking while in oxygen tents.  He said their cigarettes would burn very intensely and the cigarette wouldn't last very long.