Getting pretty nervous as the final step is to apply the Wash, and this is where I messed up majorly last time. 

Any last minute advice from anyone? 

I purchased a few different washes so I have options: 

1. Abteillung black oil paint, and turpentine to dilute. 

2. MIG Aircraft washes for dark grey aircraft. 

3. MIG starship wash (black). 

Anyone have any feedback on any of these? Suggestions for my F15 based on the shade of grey? Would black or a dark dark grey be best on my gunship? 

Thanks, 

Zach 

I use the MiG enamel washes over a Gunze lacquer clear coat.  They work great and are easy to remove!  

Before:

gYCADGh.jpg

After:

Y4WcnCu.jpg

sxW5XXK.jpg

I would go with black over the Gunship Grey.  If you don’t like it, it should be easy to remove and you can try one of your other washes.  Just make sure your clear coat coverage is good and thoroughly dry before proceeding 👍🏻 

Steve

Gotcha. I did a test of the MIG starship wash. Its more of a grime deep deep grey than black, but its decent i think. I also mioxed up the Abteillung black with some turpentine and it worked really well. I just did not let it dry sufficiently, so I wiped a lot of the wash off. How long do you typically let your washes dry before wiping them? 

44 minutes ago, Flyboy3394 said:

Gotcha. I did a test of the MIG starship wash. Its more of a grime deep deep grey than black, but its decent i think. I also mioxed up the Abteillung black with some turpentine and it worked really well. I just did not let it dry sufficiently, so I wiped a lot of the wash off. How long do you typically let your washes dry before wiping them? 

For MiG washes, I wait until the wash is completely dry- usually about 30 minutes.  You can always moisten your wiping cloth with enamel thinner if you need more power to remove the wash, but I generally find that you don’t  need to do that with the MiG washes, as long as you have a smooth gloss coat.  

Steve

13 minutes ago, Falconxlvi said:

For MiG washes, I wait until the wash is completely dry- usually about 30 minutes.  You can always moisten your wiping cloth with enamel thinner if you need more power to remove the wash, but I generally find that you don’t  need to do that with the MiG washes, as long as you have a smooth gloss coat.  

Steve

So I used a paper towel with a tiny bit of enamel thinner, but it still wiped almost everything away. Though first, it began by streaking heavily. I will wait a bit longer as the stuff i used was not completely dry yet. Also, do you thin your MIG washes? 

10 minutes ago, Flyboy3394 said:

So I used a paper towel with a tiny bit of enamel thinner, but it still wiped almost everything away. Though first, it began by streaking heavily. I will wait a bit longer as the stuff i used was not completely dry yet. Also, do you thin your MIG washes? 

I do not thin the washes.  You probably do not need any thinner on the towel to start- only add thinner if the wash isn’t wiping off enough.   Also, make sure it’s totally dry before wiping.   Use light swipes with the paper towel/q-tips in the direction of airflow.   

22 minutes ago, Falconxlvi said:

I do not thin the washes.  You probably do not need any thinner on the towel to start- only add thinner if the wash isn’t wiping off enough.   Also, make sure it’s totally dry before wiping.   Use light swipes with the paper towel/q-tips in the direction of airflow.   

Great. Will do. The panel lines are super shallow so I know now ill need to be really careful when wiping excess away. 

Btw, a few shots of attempt one: 

NP7HO2b.jpg

ZjDT2BI.jpg

vfgcX8F.jpg

Aside from the deepest areas, its impossible to tell. 

Update: The wash is down and was successful! 

yBJRgxz.jpg 

3QtDmvq.jpg

I like how dirty it looks, especially on the bottom. I cleaned it up a tad more after these photos, but all went well and ill be sealing it up tonight. 

Final steps will be final assembly of the landing gear, adding weapons and cleaning/dipping the cockpit. 

Also: 

6qwFlx4.jpg

i6iA2X5.jpg

The 2000lb GBU-31 JDAM is built, and will be primed tonight. This thing was an absolute bear to build. Those PE bits were next to impossible to grip with tweezers, let alone set correctly. But, its done and looks pretty solid.