Great going so far

I know I haven’t fished one build yet that I have started within a GB. But this will change. Just got to get going.. anyway have a safe trip and see ya on the flip side 

Edited by Aussie_superbug
Additional comment
  • 1 month later...

Proof of life! I'm still in this build!  I don't have any pictures, but I cleaned up a few things I found after priming, re-primed, and painted the blue on the spine.  I also assembled and painted the landing gear struts.  I'll get some bare metal foil onto the oleos and finish those up in the coming days, and I'll be sure to post up some pics soon.

So I dropped my model last week and it hit the wood floor pretty hard. At first, it looked like I got away with just a couple of small parts breaking off cleanly. However, upon closer inspection, I discovered a large crack in the nose and separation of the front windscreen. I'm so discouraged--it was primed, blemishes fixed, re-primed, and ready for paint. Now I'm seriously considering chucking the whole thing in the trash.

I think it can be salvaged but I'm suffering a motivational crisis with this kit right now.  I set it aside and finished off a pair of 1/72 Phantoms (none of which qualify for this group build, unfortunately).  I'll pick it up and give it another look...I'm just loathe to do yet more filling, sanding, and re-priming on this kit.   Ugh...

13 hours ago, picknpluck said:

I think it can be salvaged but I'm suffering a motivational crisis with this kit right now.  I set it aside and finished off a pair of 1/72 Phantoms (none of which qualify for this group build, unfortunately).  I'll pick it up and give it another look...I'm just loathe to do yet more filling, sanding, and re-priming on this kit.   Ugh...

I am in the same boat as you with my 1/72 F/A-18A kit. I had to strip the paint off most of it and repaint it. Had an adhesion issue with the paint. It was my fault not the paints, I rushed the build and did not prime the kit like I should have done. I now need to tape off the gear bays and the exhaust heat shields for painting and I'm worried I may peel the paint again.

That doesn't look too bad. You should be able to patch it up. Sand it back down to bare plastic with fine sandpaper. If you have Tamiya extra thin or similar glue, take some and mix it with some of the sprue plastic from the kit. Let it sit for a few days to melt down. Tape off both sides of the cracks and apply the sludge and let it dry a day or two, then sand it flush. It might hide the issue. When you mix the sprue plastic cut it into small pieces or it will take longer to melt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Time for a long-overdue progress report. I lost my mojo on this kit for awhile, but seem to have rediscovered it in the past week. From the previous update, I redid the scribing in the fractured nose area and got some paint down. Let's see if I can get it done in time!

uKiG0GP.jpg

1hzfKqR.jpg

uGeDNP1.jpg

I got all the decals laid down on the left side last night.  It was late and that pesky job thing this morning, so no pics...I'll post an update this weekend.  In hindsight, I should've gone with different markings for this kit.  Furball's decals are wonderful and the VFA-192 CAG bird is a stunner, but those decals are designed for the Hasegawa kit.  The Revell kit clearly has some differences and I've had issues with the yellow stripes on the twin tails as well as at the grey/blue boundary along the spine/fuselage.  More to follow...

Edited by picknpluck

Closer yet! At this point, all that's left is clear coat, weathering, and then some finishing touches. This is far from my best work, construction-wise, but I'm really happy with the paint work. I'm glad I didn't trash it.

zbuknA8.jpg