F-4 AIM-7 RBF flag location?

10 hours ago, 82Whitey51 said:

If I wanted to put RBF flags on my Phantom, where would the ones for the AIM-7s be located?

For the USN/USMC Phantom

The RBF flag would depend on time frame/variant of Sparrow.

For the AIM-7D/E (Mk 38/Mk 52 Rocket Motor) there would a RBF flag like in the pic posted by Finn. For the AIM-7F/M/P (Mk 58 Rocket Motor0 there would not be a RBF Flag. The USN/USMC did not install a flag on the arming handle on the AIM-7F/M/P since the handle was not removed but simply turned to arm the rocket motor.

EDIT: Very early AIM-7M's had the arming key (the Mk 58 Mod 2 and 3, but I didn't see any of those after 85/86 except for the occasional missile shoot.

For the AIM-7D/E, the Mk 38 and Mk 52 had a removable arming key, like the AGM-88 HARM, thus it would have a RBF flag.

For all USN/USMC Phantoms, there will be a RBF flag hanging out of the upload panel located on the right side of the belly, just behind the right wing of the Sparrow.

AIM-7M/P

aim-7_030315-n-9593m-022.jpg

AIM-7M

Sidewinder_2.jpg

AIM-7E

EQG_amsparrow_1.jpg

The AIM-7F would be like the AIM-7M.

Edited by GW8345

OK, cool thanks for the excellent "gouge"!

I guess I should have clarified the type I have, which I assume is an AIM-7D/E as it is on a Vietnam era F-4C...which now has me thinking about how they were stuffed into the underside of the F-4??? Would they all go the same way, so that the flags are all in the same place on each side? Maybe so that the flags/safety was directly on the "bottom"...jeez, it was easier when no body paid attention to ordnance on models!  :rolleyes:

Off to the Google...

1 hour ago, 82Whitey51 said:

OK, cool thanks for the excellent "gouge"!

I guess I should have clarified the type I have, which I assume is an AIM-7D/E as it is on a Vietnam era F-4C...which now has me thinking about how they were stuffed into the underside of the F-4??? Would they all go the same way, so that the flags are all in the same place on each side? Maybe so that the flags/safety was directly on the "bottom"...jeez, it was easier when no body paid attention to ordnance on models!  :rolleyes:

Off to the Google...

Here's my thinking for a USAF F-4C Vietnam area;

To my knowledge the USAF hung their Sparrow that same way the Navy did back then.

The arming key would have a RBF flag, for the AERO 7A (launcher) safety pin RBF flag, there should be a small panel just aft where the  wing would be (inboard side*) , paint that black and make a panel out of scrap plastic and glue it in the open position, glue the flag to the area painted black.

The panel is very small and you can't see anything up there so painting black would be very realistic. You could probably get away without even doing the panel, just paint the area black and hang the flag (the panel was so small I could hardly get both my hands up there to turn the racket to lock the launcher hooks and I had to do everything by feel).

* I was wrong in my earlier post, the panel is on the inboard side of the launcher, took me a while to remember since I haven't loaded an F-4 since 1984.

Edited by GW8345