So, I've started this build and I'm glad(?) to see that picknpluck has run into the same problems that I have. The fit on this new kit is terrible. I know these molds aren't very old, and I'm surprised at how poorly the parts go together. picknpluck is having issues with the intakes on his kit, and some dry-fitting has shown that my kit's fit is worse! I have started with installing the kits rear deck and its nose assembly. Just these six pieces have needed some serious fill-sand-rescribe-repeat.

ccczkcH.jpg

0VRzo7Z.jpg

nLNjCiE.jpg

Anyway, I'll keep plugging away. Thanks for stopping by! Wish me luck!

Cheers,

-O

After looking at picknpluck's post, I decided to tackle my intakes before I wrestled with the nose. I haven't started cleaning up the joints and seams yet, but here are a few pictures of how badly they went together.

R6kuU3w.jpg

D0NcHJB.jpg

2tzgtMQ.jpg

I'm thinking I'm going to try Milliput to fill these gaps. I think Milliput, which I can shape with water, will be easier to use instead of a different type of filler than will have to be sanded. Sanding in those tight spaces might be too difficult.

Well, before I move on to attaching the nose assembly, I'm going to try to get this mess cleaned up.

Cheers,

-O

• 1 month later...

Alright ARC,

I've been able to get a few things done on my Super Hornet.  After gluing on the intakes, I figured I was gonna need some help with the seams, so I ordered my secret weapon...

9Xkr47B.jpg

After it arrived, I glued the fuselage halves together.

jqKCr8P.jpg

RBGuRXu.jpg

The fine tips were immediately useful and allowed me to get the putty exactly where I wanted it.  One of the great things about this putty is it cleans up with water so no sanding was needed to clean up these seams.  I just used a moist earbud to wipe away the excess.  The seam isn't perfectly filled, but it looks way better than the huge gap that was there before.  I'm sure the joint will look acceptable under a coat of paint.

UtvK530.jpg

BhEvvYo.jpg

I was able to get the rear fuselage seams cleaned up pretty well.  I used a little CA glue and rescribed the area as well as I could. 

XkTtQEy.jpg

Some of the lines you see in the photo above are filled with CA.  The CA dried clear and so it looks like those lines are still there.  They pass the "feel test," but of course I'll double check after I get some primer sprayed on.

The seams under the LEX were filled with Mr. Surfacer.  I'm going to get the LEX cleaned up before I get the nose glued on.  That'll be next.  I'll get the nose attached and cleaned up, then I'll move to attaching the wingtips and attacking all the wings' seams.

LBB9T4f.jpg

Hopefully, it won't be too long before I can start spraying some paint.

Thanks for stopping by.  Feel free to share your comments, questions, or criticisms.  

Cheers!

-O

Edited by oortiz10