Academy 1/48 F-4B VMFA-251

I'll do the Academy 1/48 F-4B in VMFA-251 markings out of MCAS Beaufort SC in 1970.  I'll use the Furball USMC Rhinos sheet, 48-012, which has markings for an aircraft at Beaufort at the right time. I'll modify the tail number to be an aircraft identified my neighbor's log book. I also have Furball's cockpit decals, Hypersonic's A/C air intake and slotted stabilators, Master's pitot, Steel Beach slime lights, and XMM intakes.

arc-f4b-start0.jpg

arc-f4b-start1.jpg

Note to Postimage users.

I had to strip the EXIF data from the photos to prevent the FINE programmers at Postimage from rotating the images for me. It appears they think I don't know how to use a camera or make obvious corrections to images...

Edited by dnl42
7 hours ago, picknpluck said:

You won't need those slime lights if you're doing a B/N; those versions didn't have them. I'm looking forward to your build!

Thanks for the info! This will be a fun build.

Working on the cockpit. The RIO right-side console doesn't completely fill the available space. The instructions suggest the panel is placed all the way forward in the slot as shown below.

arc-f4b-rio-console.png

The 2 arrows show my problems. When positioned as instructed, the side panel leaves the 2 gaps as shown. If I move the panel back hard against the rear panel (the red arrow), there's still a gap at the blue arrow along with a matching gap forward of the side panel base. It could be I just trust them, assuming the seat and other bits hide these gaps. Maybe...but I already scraped the mounting block for the non-existent RIO rudder pedals off.

Suggestions?

Oh, I forgot, I also have the Furball Cockpit Detail Set decals that I'll be using them to tart the plastic up :)

Edited by dnl42

Before I decide on the side panel, I wanted to see what it looks like with the ejection seat in the cockpit. Well, it's simplified at best. As I've got a RIO as an adviser, that's a problem. The True Details seat looks good compared to the USN F-4 seat at ejectionsite and is way better than the kit's version.

arc-f4b-seats.jpg

As expected, the kit version fits quite well, while the resin version will need some serious filing to get it in.

arc-f4b-cockpit-seat.jpg

I'll see what I can do with the kit version before I hack the resin seat...

dnl

Looking good! Problem is with you building this has me thinking about building my Academy kit. Which means I will have to order some FBA decals for VF-151. The 1/72 Hasegawa kit I am building is probably going back in the box to be finished some other time. I have never seen a Hasegawa kit that has this many fit issues. 

• 3 months later...

The Furball F-4B/N, J/S cockpit detail set is just amazing! I've found that brushing Micro Sol on the panel, then laying the decal on, then brushing Micro Sol atop allows it to lay down just beautifully!

arc-f4b-furball-cockpit-detail-set.jpg

I used FS36375 for the cockpit color as its a batter visual match than FS36231, which Academy would have you use. As the Furball set also has some decals for the seats, I've decided to embellish the kit seats with those and bits of plastic and wire.

Working on the throttles, which Academy left out, but my 1st attempt looks 50% to 100% too large. Anybody have any dimensional info on them?

arc-f4b-_BIGthrottles.jpg

Edited by dnl42

While still thinking about how to do the throttles, I worked on the seats with Evergreen strips, 0.02" brass rod, 0.4mm, 0.6mm, & 0.6mm Albion brass tubing, and 0.2mm & 0.4mm lead wire. Painting it up and adding the Furball seat decals should make it look purty.

arc-f4b-seats-primed.jpg

Sadly, my compressor up and died just as I more or less finished priming the 2nd seat with thinned Mr Surfacer. The interwebs suggest it's the Auto Stop Pressure Switch.

Edited by dnl42

Turns out my compressor problem was indeed the auto stop pressure switch. Coast Airbrush had the part and all is now well.

Also managed to build some throttles that look OK to me. We'll see how it looks painted and in the cockpit.

arc-f4b-throttles.jpg

• 1 month later...

Have a question on this kit.  I dry fit the starboard wall of the RIO cockpit to align the top edge with the cockpit opening,

arc-f4b-cockpit2-crop.jpg

If you look at the bottom of the wall, you see it's badly aligned with the tub side. Academy's instructions would have the bottom edge of the wall aligned with the tub side. If I do that, not only would the top edge not align with the cockpit opening, the front edge would need to obscure the instrument panel.

Here's a another view:

arc-f4b-cockpit1-crop.jpg

Am I missing something???

DNL

Have you asked in the jet modeling thread? Sorry that I just now seen your question. I've been busy with  dealing with my issues that is sidelining me from the hobby. I am going to try and stay active on the forum but will not be joining GB's. May try and build something but won't be doing WIP thread just finished pics. I wish I could have finished my entries for this GB before we ended.