Russian/Soviet paint source that isn't Akan

I've been messing around with a 1/48 KP Su-25UTG and need some help with regards to paint options.  KP refers to Humbrol and Agama colors.  I haven't had good luck with Humbrol and never heard of Agama. 

Akan makes colors specific to the UTG, however, I wasn't really a big fan when I used them on a Flanker kit I built several years ago.  

I've been having very good luck using the Gunze Mr Hobby colors, so it goes without saying that I would prefer to use them for this application.  

Is there a chart or online resource giving equivalents from one brand (Humbrol) of paint to another (Gunze)?  Secondly, do/did the Russians/Soviets have a system categorizing colors like the US FS numbers?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris I don't know if the Su-25UTG uses the same colors as teh Su-33 but they seem similar. I would try Mr. Paint out of Slovakia. AKA MRP . They are may favorite paints right now! they are lacquer and already thinned for the airbrush. As a a matter of fact you really need to apply with low pressure 12-15 psi  and use several light coats. they seem very translucent at first but they build up great so they are perfect for any pre shading black basing etc. Super fine pigments. Check them out http://mrpaint.sk/farby/lietadla/USSR?page=3

As far as a Russian FS 595, they're might be one but it seems like factories and depots do what they want.

Boom-man,

Thanks for the tip.  I had heard about them, but totally forgot until your post.  

The Su-25UTG colors do look very close to the paints suggested for the Su-33.  The upper colors are 199, 200, and 201.  

201 seems to be a little lighter than what's in the (reliably?) printed instructions, which calls for "mid blue/gray" (suggested to use Humbrol 87). 

Mr Paint doesn't give a single color match for the bottom.  Instructions suggests a light blue-gray (Humbrol 64).  Mr Paint 197 is labeled for Su-27 and the Su-33.  I can't tell if it's a match or not.  There are some other blue-grays available.  

These paints are a little pricey.  Are they worth the cash??

Anyone agree with this logic, or have I goofed?

Thanks again,

Chris 

Edited by swimmer25k
12 hours ago, swimmer25k said:

Akan makes colors specific to the UTG, however, I wasn't really a big fan when I used them on a Flanker kit I built several years ago. 

Just a question: Did you use the Akan water based acrylic (7 series), enamel (8 series) or acrylic lacquer (6 series)? I've used all three and I'm also not a big fan of their water based acrylic (in fact, I don't like airbrushing acrylics in general). However, I've had really good results with their acrylic lacquers (6 series), thinned with a bit of Mr Color Leveling Thinner. It is quite a different prospect than their 7 series water based paints.

MRP is worth the money. Even though it is very thin, it seems like you use less. I can not explain it. 

To answer your question about paint cross reference, I have used the charts at this site:

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/colorcharts.asp

And if you are looking for more choices,  Ammo Of Mig and Vallejo model air have lots of colors, and seem to be the problem solver when I can not find a color. But yes, they are not as easy to airbrush.

Edited by Kurt H.
19 hours ago, boom175 said:

Chris I don't know if the Su-25UTG uses the same colors as teh Su-33 but they seem similar. I would try Mr. Paint out of Slovakia. AKA MRP . They are may favorite paints right now! they are lacquer and already thinned for the airbrush. As a a matter of fact you really need to apply with low pressure 12-15 psi  and use several light coats. they seem very translucent at first but they build up great so they are perfect for any pre shading black basing etc. Super fine pigments. Check them out http://mrpaint.sk/farby/lietadla/USSR?page=3

As far as a Russian FS 595, they're might be one but it seems like factories and depots do what they want.

Would you know any reputable on-line shop that would ship internationally with these MRP paints? Is it MRP paint ot Mr. Paint?

2 hours ago, flybywire said:

Would you know any reputable on-line shop that would ship internationally with these MRP paints? Is it MRP paint ot Mr. Paint?

Their home page is www.mrpaint.sk they are out of Slovakia. 

If you're in the USA Hobbyworld is #1. If you live abroad, check the vendors on your continent. As far as Akan is concerned, The lacquer formula is fantastic. I have had mixed results (no pun) with the water based formula in terms of adhesion.