Have the US Navy Blue Angels switched to the F-18E/F yet?

I found it interesting that a spring is installed on the stick with a constant seven pounds of forward pressure. The article said it was to "enable improved formation and inverted flying". Little tidbits of information that are fascinating 🤔

3 hours ago, Mstor said:

I found it interesting that a spring is installed on the stick with a constant seven pounds of forward pressure. The article said it was to "enable improved formation and inverted flying". Little tidbits of information that are fascinating 🤔

I found it interesting that a spring can exert a "constant" seven pounds of force.  Springs by definition exert a force proportional to their deflection, so the spring force would change as the stick is moved.

I also found the $29 million price to convert 11 jets to be, umm, interesting......

Yeah, the bit about "constant" force is jacked up.  They have the spring installed so that they are always pulling on the stick; it helps with precision control as I understand it.  I suspect the 7 pounds is for straight and level flight.  That said, the stick doesn't move very far so the force isn't changing a whole lot.

On August 17, 2018 at 11:51 AM, Rocky said:

I would think that the Blue Angels would want to hang onto their legacy Hornets for as long as they are still in the fleet.  They have higher performance than the F-18E, and they burn less fuel.  The F-18E has longer range, can carry more bombs, and has a better radar.  What are the Blue Angels going to do with those capabilities??

Well after the show they can go bomb something.

Kill 2 birds with one stone👍

Edited by 305swag
On 22 August 2018 at 7:05 PM, habu2 said:

(snip snip)...

I also found the $29 million price to convert 11 jets to be, umm, interesting......

Presumably that includes the licence fee for Boeing's new ownership of the Blue Angels logo and all related rights.

In all seriousness, we might get a big new one from Revell of Germany before long (second edition boxing?) 

Tony 

On 8/22/2018 at 8:24 AM, Mstor said:

The Snowbirds apparently fly their CT-114's trimmed nose down during display's.