1/72 Hasegawa F/A-18F VFA-11

This will be my 1st entry for the GB. I will use the Growler kit from my stash as it already has all the parts needed to build a F/A-18F. For the decals, I will use some Galaxy Model decals that I picked up from China. I haven't heard of or used this brand before this point so I have no idea about their quality.

Hornets are not my strong point. So far, I've irreversibly wrecked a total of 6 Hornets during construction, 5 Academy and 1 Hasegawa. But a guy's gotta try.

RkqEU4x.jpg?1

The decals. I picked up the VFA-11 markings and also a data sheet with stencils. Can't vouch for their accuracy but so far first impressions are good.

mopJLJe.jpg?1

Cczd6iX.jpg?1

Edited by White Wolf
1 hour ago, tosouthern66 said:

WW

Welcome to the GB! I am interested in how the decals work out. What other squadrons do they have in there line of decals?

From what I've found out, they have VFA-103, VFA-41, VFA-102, VF-114 (F-4J), VFA-101 (F-35C), and a panel masking set for the Meng F-35.

Been slowly working at this over the past week. I've managed to get the cockpit tub and instrument panels done.

osWbvbL.jpg?1

I've also been preparing the nose and forward fuselage parts. There are several panel lines that need to be filled and sanded or rescribed for the newer version of the Super Hornet, and these were duly completed. Lastly, I've tried to deepen the panel lines a bit as I felt they were fairly shallow and I wasn't confident of them being able to hold the panel line wash later.

LoEK7Zz.jpg?1

I did some dry fitting of the nose parts, which come in three pieces, to the bottom fuselage. Fit is fairly good, but there's a small step on the left side where the nose joins to the fuselage. I might have to sand the tab a little to get it to fit better during assembly.

OLdPds5.jpg?2

WW

Looking good! Here's another spot for you to check also. Test fit the upper and lower nose parts. Pay attention to just in front of the cockpit where where the parts meet. You might have a step there as well. I have had this happen a few times on me and I end up removing some of the details there sanding the step down. I found the why that step happens when it does. The front IP doesn't allow it to sit 100% flush. I have had to sand some of the top side of the IP down. The area is where the IP sits on the cockpit tub, those two little tabs! Just a tip for you!

9 hours ago, tosouthern66 said:

WW

Looking good! Here's another spot for you to check also. Test fit the upper and lower nose parts. Pay attention to just in front of the cockpit where where the parts meet. You might have a step there as well. I have had this happen a few times on me and I end up removing some of the details there sanding the step down. I found the why that step happens when it does. The front IP doesn't allow it to sit 100% flush. I have had to sand some of the top side of the IP down. The area is where the IP sits on the cockpit tub, those two little tabs! Just a tip for you!

Thanks a lot for the tip, I'll keep that in mind for later. :wave: