DIY self adhesive camouflage mask

Hello guys and girls,

This is my tutorial on how to create self adhesive masks for your scale model's camouflage pattern. Easy process that saves time and a lot of expensive masking tape.

Hope you like it and please SUBSCRIBE so you can get all the newest videos from my channel.

Oh, and... there has been some unhappy people about my voice-over, if that's the case please use the subtitles. Next time I'll use a better mic.

Best regards

M.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this! I had recently been thinking about something like this, but was stuck on what kind of two-sided tape to use. After reading your article, I remebered I had some old R/C servo tape laying about. It is about 1mm thick and worked perfectly for the close overspray pattern I needed for the 1/72 A-37B Dragonfly in Vietnam camo that I am building.

For others using this technique, remember that the thickness of the two-sided tape determines the amount of "fuzziness" where the two colors meet, so pick a thickness  suitable for your needs.

Also, while I originally used Tamiya tape as my masking tape of choice, I discovered that Frog Tape "Delicate Surface" yellow tape seems to be exactly the same tape as Tamiya, only in much wider widths.

Thanks again!

Ed

@TheRealMrEd

Thanks mate, you are right the thickness of the tape determines the hardness of the demarcation line. This is one of the coolest parts of the technique, it gives control over the result.

I have heard for the frog-tape before but unfortunately it is not available here. 

@AlienFrogModeller

Thanks mate, complicated camo you have and surely the masks would have helped. 

Best regards

M.

Hi all,

Here's a picture of my  in-process 1/72 Academy A-37B Dragonfly, with it's 4-color camo scheme:

2v2umjjS8xfzdhW.jpg

using this masking technique. It was the perfect means to mask this tiny beast, and you posted it just in time.  Below are a few of the masks:

2v2umjjCoxfzdhW.jpg

The blue areas show the masks that have been cut out (slightly oversize top and bottom). However, I didn't need this many masks for the tanks. I just cut out one set, put masking tape onto a sheet of glass, the used the paper pattern to cut out the tank masks (reversing pattern for off-side masks).

One other thing, the double-sided take wouldn't work on these tiny tanks, so I just applied the tape masks and the lifted the masking edge about 1.5 mm with the edge on an Exacto blade. Worked perfectly!

Thanks again for publishing this!

Ed

• 3 weeks later...