My first builds will be three Monogram 1/72 F4B-4s from 1930s. I am adding a Starfighter interior set to my first build to see if it is worth to purchase for other builds. I believe that the cockpit opening is way too small to make it worth expense as can only see interior with aid of a flashlight. Additionally, decals are also from Starfighter. This will be my first use of these decals. Hope they work good as I have stash of them for other US Navy/Army 1930s aircraft.

002 (800x522) (350x228).jpg

Starfighter decals are first-rate.  You should have no issues with them using standard decalling techniques.

As for the resin interior, Starfighter's product is nice and the one for the F11C fit well.  You're right about the small opening, so it's up to you to decide if it's worth it.  

4 hours ago, tosouthern66 said:

Ranger

Welcome to the GB. I built one of those a very very long time ago. Before I knew what an airbrush or spray paint was. Man did I glue bomb that thing, it looked like crap but I didn't care. It was just a toy to me.

Yea, I built one many, many, many, etc., years ago and painted it but can't remember if brushes or spray cans.

50 minutes ago, Joe Hegedus said:

Starfighter decals are first-rate.  You should have no issues with them using standard decalling techniques.

As for the resin interior, Starfighter's product is nice and the one for the F11C fit well.  You're right about the small opening, so it's up to you to decide if it's worth it.  

I also have the interior for the P-6E/F11C. It's the cost of $8,almost more than the kit itself that is the factor. I do plan on ordering the rigging sets for all of my builds. I rigged the Monogram P-6E about 15 years ago. Not terrible, but if I can do it easier, it is a serious consideration.

I'm so glad to see aircraft from the 30s! Will you build them in USN and USMC markings?

Not only was this Boeing's last biplane fighter, they were replaced by Grumman aircraft! :monkeydance:

17 hours ago, dnl42 said:

I'm so glad to see aircraft from the 30s! Will you build them in USN and USMC markings?

Not only was this Boeing's last biplane fighter, they were replaced by Grumman aircraft! :monkeydance:

I will build 2 Navy and 1 USMC. After these three, time remaining in the group build, I will see if some other 20s/30s squadrons fit requirement.

• 1 month later...

I have been slow to post my progress. The photos that follow are from work before I came down with a case of Diverticulitis and spent a week in the hospital and another week recovering from the starvation diet inflicted on me while in the hospital. Counting weight lost from when I first became ill about five days before I was hospitalized until I was allowed to eat real food was about 20 pounds. The first 10 pounds was probably water lost through GI tract issues. On to the pics.

59e636a4698b1_016(800x460)(350x201).jpg.70c030fca6771528eb48133d50a15a4d.jpg

This right side of fuselage with the interior kit from Starfighter.

The airframe has been assembled and lower wing added. I'm waiting to add horizontal stabs till I can paint fuselage.

59e63ff0974cc_001(350x234)(350x234).jpg.ab8e6fab2652857d4e4d823664fc8b35.jpg

Filling was required at wing joints with fuselage on top side of wing. Additionally, the gun cover/upper fuselage required some filing to make smooth transition to fuselage sides.

I was able to acquire two more interior sets for the other two airframes, but only one Starfighter PE rigging set.

Jeff

3 hours ago, tosouthern66 said:

Ranger74

Looking good! Your build is bringing back memories of when I built one as a kid. My biggest memory is what the M60 firecracker did to it. Go figure just a kid then!

Thanks for the comment. My brothers and I destroyed a fleet of old 1/700 Japanese warships and a couple old 1/48 tanks using powder from fireworks and even some gunpowder out of blanks. We thought it was great back then:thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Aussie_superbug said:

Nice works so far Jeff.

Have you got any more updates?

Brendon 

Thanks, Brendon. I am at a temporary halt while I finish a review build for IPMS-USA. As soon as that is completed, hopefully by end of the week, I will return to work on the F4B-4s.

Jeff