F-8 crusader Eduard´s Hasegawa boxing

May i ask for your help concerning the color of the engine bay under the moveable wing? It is kitpart A13. Eduard says it should be white. I checked Hasegawa instructions available on the internet and they recommend Gunze 351 zinc chromate. What is correct ? Does it depend on the individual aircraft ? I will build eighter option B or E.  If it´s zinc chromate, what acrylic color would you recommend? I can get Gunze Aqueous, Tamyia and Vallejo here in Sweden. Thank you for your help. 

Hi Stefan,

As built, all Crusaders had green wing bays, but Interior Green, aka Chromate Green, not Zinc Chromate which is a very light yellow-green.  Since there were numerous fluid lines - hydraulic, oil and fuel - running through the bay, and since they all looked the same on the green paint, the green bays were over-painted with white, which showed the red hydraulic fluid very well.  This over-paint with white was probably done during PAR (repaint) cycles, as there still some green bays around when I got to the airplane in 1967.

The rebuild versions - H, J, K, L, and RF-8G - were stripped to bare metal and their wing bays were solid white (the over-painted ones were thin and patchy in spots).

For the options in the kit, all F-8E's, it could be either, it is impossible to say for sure without a photo of the particular aircraft that shows enough of the wing bay to see the colo, but I suspect that all the kit marking options would be white.  What you might consider doing is paint the bay (and the underside of the wing) with the interior green, then give it an overspray with white, not bothering to get complete coverage so that the green shows through in spots.  Here is a photo of a French Crusader's wing bay which was over-painted white.  The underlying green is visible in spots and note the forward bulkhead.

DSCN0048.jpg

I should also note that it is difficult to see into the wing bay on the actual aircraft, and more so on a model so don't get to carried away.

HTH,

Tom

Edited by Superheat
spelling
20 hours ago, stefan schweden said:

Many thanks to both of you. Interesting detail about the leaking of hydraulic oil. Informations like these are "pepper and salt" for our hobby and makes modeling so interesting.  Kind regards Stefan 

That's why most landing gear legs and bays are painted white. :cheers: