Shelf Queens II GB  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Any interest in a Shelf Queens Part II GB?

• Yes!
    • No!

If it has to be an airplane, I won't play because I have no unfinished airplane projects.  If it doesn't have to be an airplane, I'll play.  I have a 35th scale Tiger that has been languishing for about 5 years or more.

12 hours ago, AX 365 said:

If it has to be an airplane, I won't play because I have no unfinished airplane projects.  If it doesn't have to be an airplane, I'll play.  I have a 35th scale Tiger that has been languishing for about 5 years or more.

You're such a diva!

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, pics of shelf queens...

All of these are started. This is the "hot shelf" - things of more-or-less current interest:

2v2uTCc6qxfzdhW.jpg

They move back and forth as interest wanes, with the "cool shelf" (approx 1/3 of these are started to one degree or another:

2v2uTCctFxfzdhW.jpg

Next, a smattering of the ones that no longer fit in their boxes:

2v2uTCcRLxfzdhW.jpg

The Sea Dart, in the foreground was one I started for an ARC build years ago, but alas, didn't complete. There are many more than what is shown here.

And finally, how about "retirees"?  -- Old soldiers whose time has come and gone. Could they be considered shelf queens, and thus eligible for return to glory?

2v2uTCckGxfzdhW.jpg

GRB-36D/RF-84K FICON in 1/72 scale, built for the 1983 IPMS Nats in Atlanta.

Ed

On 10/11/2017 at 8:37 PM, Spectre711 said:

I'm just waiting on a start date from the mods.

Contact the other two. I gave my approval.

Think I might give up my uber mod status. Anyone wish to take over?

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Contact the other two. I gave my approval.

Think I might give up my uber mod status. Anyone wish to take over?

I would love to 

Edited by Kurt H.
On 10/11/2017 at 12:56 PM, TheRealMrEd said:

Okay, pics of shelf queens...

And finally, how about "retirees"?  -- Old soldiers whose time has come and gone. Could they be considered shelf queens, and thus eligible for return to glory?

2v2uTCckGxfzdhW.jpg

GRB-36D/RF-84K FICON in 1/72 scale, built for the 1983 IPMS Nats in Atlanta.

Ed

This does not seem to fit the rules for this GB, but I am really interested in this one. How did it do at the NATs in 1983? Do you have any better pics? What paint did you use?  I mean back in 1983 the choices for paints were far more limited and you seem to have a lot of shades of natural metal on this model. 

Edited by Kurt H.

Hi Kurt.

The model won the "Most Popular" model award at the Atlanta regional contest that year (as voted by the paying public). It did not place at the Nats, mostly because I ran out of time (after 8 months) and did the wing walkway stripes with Chartpak tape (an old draftsman's aid), rather than masking and painting. A good decision by the judges, but it broke my heart! (Almost broke my marriage too, as I spent more time on this than I did with the family!)

The model was done with Metalizer paints and Pactra/Model Master for everything else. The bomb bay and the boom were scratch built, as was the docking mechanism on the RF-84K. (Actually the fighter is removable, and I have thought about putting the landing gear back on and displaying by itself).

The model is pretty much intact, except for a lot of the props are broken. The wings were left removable for ease of transport.

I have no great photos of the plane during it's glory years; somewhere I have a pic of it  hanging from it's pipe hanging stand at the Nats -- probably couldn't find it if I wanted.

I would be glad to take some close-up shots, if you advise where best to post or send them. (I don't thing that there's a forum for that!}, as I finally have the camera I wish I could have afforded back then....

Ed

2 hours ago, TheRealMrEd said:

I would be glad to take some close-up shots, if you advise where best to post or send them. (I don't thing that there's a forum for that!}, as I finally have the camera I wish I could have afforded back then....

Ed

You could start a thread in the "General discussion" area I am sure it would be interesting for people to see.

and to bring this back on topic, after I hijacked the thread (sorry)  here is what I want to finish for this GB

2v2uScN4mx9awpY.jpg

It is the Anigrand 1/72 C-133. I spent a lot of time getting the fuselage to this point, then found one of the wings was warped .... after I glued the halves together :doh:

I still need to figure out how to address a few other things, but I would like to finish this one, and this is a good opportunity. 

And some more candidates:

2v2uSfi2nx9awpY.jpg

A-7 from my "Happy Anniversary" GB,  Rareplanes A2D sky shark, Hasegawa F-16, and Rareplanes p-43. 

Then some automotive subjects

2v2uSfkNFx9awpY.jpg

The General Lee I started when I got back in the hobby in 98/99 .  I can not remember why this one stalled. I think I was unsatisfied with the paint job. The Camaro is a project to build a low buck street machine.  I could not figure out how to get the weathered look I was going for.

Edited by Kurt H.

S

On 9/13/2017 at 4:05 AM, Kurt H. said:

This GB proposal now has 26 votes. You can present it to the GB comission

here are the rules for the last Shelf Queens GB:

1) the model was started over a year ago

2) the model has not been worked on in at least 6 months

Seems simple enough to me.  Simple GB rules are the best.  What do you think? Jan 1 start date?

Sounds reasonable......One question. I have a couple models that someone ELSE started. Can I finish them for this GB?