Many are crying, it's about players freedom of speech... Um  yes and no. Yes, these overpaid premadonnas  who for most have nothing in common with  fans who pay to  watch them are expressing free speech. But with free speech can come other people's thoughts and speech including condemnation of such  subversive speech to the ideals of many Americans. This includes President Trump's freedom of speech which he made clear is his opinion and not that of the W.H. , POTUS  or government.

But also 1st. Amendment rights do not cover free speech everywhere. It only protects free speech if said speech does not infringe on other's rights. One cannot assume free speech going unchallenged and limited  in a place of employment, in a private business, such shopping malls etc. or in another person's home. These places can limit one's freedom of speech.

NFL players have no right to free speech on the NFL playing field in a stadium or an NFL business entity. The NFL limits speech and expression on its properties. If say an NFL player called another player on field a vulgarity of racist, sexist, homophobic or other bigoted words, the NFL will fine and or suspend the player.

I read elsewhere that this crap going on in NFL games violates the NFL's own rule book. Apparently  rule  A62-63 notes NFL teams must have players, coaches and staff on field before the anthem. The players are to face the flag in stadium, carry their helmets in left hand and  place their right hand over their heart. THE DAMN OWNERS, LEAGUE OFFICIALS  CAN'T EVEN ENFORCE THAT RULE!!!

I guess the anti-American billionaire owners (all 32 are obvious jerks) are  fine with crapping on the US flag, US anthem and ultimately the nation, by condoning  such subversive actions. They  benefit from exemption from anti-trust laws, many have fleeced tax payers to build them stadiums and many  get added tax breaks, but EFF AMERICA I GUESS!!!

The faux  and bullcrap outrage by  millionaire players who are in the 1% class is sickening enough  to honest, everyday working Americans who love  the USA. As a Canuck looking from outside in and  having  in recent years swallowed the  red pill, I see  that most Americans    are 100%  patriots in love with the United States of America, warts and all. They understand what it means  to be an American and  what it can be to  want to fix issues and problems as all nations have these,  but not to crap on their flag,  anthem and ultimately their nation.

The USA is considered the greatest nation on Earth  and  is seen as a beacon for all nations and people  who want to have  and share  western  world  values... History will show the NFL and it players will be on the wrong side of it all. Americans  accept freedom of speech but  said speech has a time and a place.  The fans pay good money to go to stadiums to watch 3-4 hours of sporting entertainment and  do not want politics  and social commentary during said games. Same goes with  those who tune in on t.v. they want 3-4 hours of sporting escapism and not    political   and social  drivel... Sure players, staff, owners, MSM media can all have free speech, but on their own  property or in a public space, park or square standing on  a soap box. Hell even spout  their B.S. on social media for those who care... But p*ss on the flag, the  anthem and the ultimately the nation, well IT AIN'T HAPPENING  without BLOW BACK.. THE NFL and any sport that does this  crap  will rue this nonsense.

GOD BLESS AMERICA, MAY SHE NEVER FALL!:occasion2:

Snopes has an analysis about the "Official Playing Rules of the National Football League," and its findings are mixed. The NFL may want to review and revise the rules to more clearly define prohibited behavior as it relates to political activity and expression. 

17 hours ago, Joel_W said:

I'm a huge Giants fan, but that was so unprofessional, so immature, ownership should fine him the max they can. This was far worse then his "affair" with the kicking net. Try explaining his "celebration" to your son and/or daughter seating next to you at home or at the game. Like I said, he's once again proved just what a jerk he is. Sooner then later his teammates will take him to task for his BS crap.

Joel

I've been a lifelong NY Giants fan.  Disappointed in the coaching staff/leadership inside the Giant's organization.  #13 should have been pulled from the game right then and there....and pulled from another/fined.  Until that starts to happen, or the BIG NFL gets hit in the pocketbook I'm afraid not much will change.  The NFL has taken a back seat to my other Sunday activities now.  I just monitor who is on my FF team for points now. 

Collin

It would be entertaining to see some of the more vocal NFL mouthpieces (including League officials and owners) take a knee or sit during the National Anthem in front of a group of Army Special Forces or Ranger Troops, Navy Seals, or soldiers with multiple tours behind them, Vets from other wars etc without cameras around. I doubt any of them would have the balls without the complacent media behind them.

EDIT: I'd watch that happen any day over watching an NFL game.

Edited by Don

OXQNa.gif

None of the players can even explain. Or describe why they were kneeling or standing. There was confusion even among teams. 

If they don't understand what's going on or why they are kneeling, not showing, standing, whatever, how the hell are we supposed to know as an audience?

Even from a protesting perspective, they don't know or have a United clear message. That's protesting 101 folks. Know what you are protesting

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
1 hour ago, Collin said:

I've been a lifelong NY Giants fan.  Disappointed in the coaching staff/leadership inside the Giant's organization.  #13 should have been pulled from the game right then and there....and pulled from another/fined.  Until that starts to happen, or the BIG NFL gets hit in the pocketbook I'm afraid not much will change.  The NFL has taken a back seat to my other Sunday activities now.  I just monitor who is on my FF team for points now. 

Collin

Collin,

Since  you're a Giants fan I'm assuming that you're in the tri-state area and tune into WFAN. Mike Francesca (whom I'm not a fan of) said  yesterday that Beckham at this point thinks he's a bigger draw nationally then Eli, and he is. He's got more deals, and outside of football makes way more money then Eli.  In his mind he's more important then Eli, as he's one of, if not the best Wide receiver, while Manning isn't even a top 5 QB. What's more the time to get him on track was 3 & 4 years ago. Now, he basically runs the show, can't be disciplined other then by the owners who have done nothing, and will do nothing.  Sad, that the NFL has sunk to accepting this crap because their ratings for the 1st time last year was down.  I just might dump the NFL and go back to College football.

Joel

1 hour ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

OXQNa.gif

None of the players can even explain. Or describe why they were kneeling or standing. There was confusion even among teams. 

If they don't understand what's going on or why they are kneeling, not showing, standing, whatever, how the hell are we supposed to know as an audience?

Even from a protesting perspective, they don't know or have a United clear message. That's protesting 101 folks. Know what you are protesting

Taiidan Tomcat

That's the scary part. 200+ players and team members including Jerry Jones taking a knee or raising a fist, and most had no idea what the hell they were doing it for. 

Joel

15 minutes ago, Joel_W said:

Collin,

Since  you're a Giants fan I'm assuming that you're in the tri-state area and tune into WFAN. Mike Francesca (whom I'm not a fan of) said  yesterday that Beckham at this point thinks he's a bigger draw nationally then Eli, and he is. He's got more deals, and outside of football makes way more money then Eli.  In his mind he's more important then Eli, as he's one of, if not the best Wide receiver, while Manning isn't even a top 5 QB. What's more the time to get him on track was 3 & 4 years ago. Now, he basically runs the show, can't be disciplined other then by the owners who have done nothing, and will do nothing.  Sad, that the NFL has sunk to accepting this crap because their ratings for the 1st time last year was down.  I just might dump the NFL and go back to College football.

Joel

Live in DC/Cap Hill.  Mike Francesca has a point and it is a very sad situation.

Edited by Collin
addition
18 minutes ago, Joel_W said:

Taiidan Tomcat

That's the scary part. 200+ players and team members including Jerry Jones taking a knee or raising a fist, and most had no idea what the hell they were doing it for. 

Joel

Seems a bit insulting, just assuming they are dumb jocks who can’t form rational opinions.  I think there are multiple issues in play but the catalyst for this Sunday’s episode seemed to have been statements from the White House.  

Most of the player interviews I’ve seen show some pretty eloquent answers as to why they chose to take a knee.  

To people here, if you are employed and you brought up a controversial political and/or social commentary to your work place and as such maybe turned your employer off from you and your words,  how long would you feel you'd stay employed at said workplace?

President Trump imparted his free speech opinion towards what he saw as athletes using their privilege and employers facilities of being in front of tens of thousands of people and millions of people watching on t.v. to spout some political/social commentary, all  by such actions showing disrespect to the Flag, the Anthem and ultimately the Nation. He feels this is a fire-able workplace offense. Why do millionaire privileged athletes who have nothing much in common with the regular Joe American, athletes who would likely never earn such money and celebrity outside of the  NFL and the USA, get to do this where as most if not all fans with butts in stadium seats or on sofa's watching the games  on t.v. not likely get away with such in their workplace?

This is nothing to do with race, those who say so are projecting their own possible racism. Like President Trump or not, his history is clear that he is a true blue patriotic American who loves  his nation, 'MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN'  has often reflected on the privilege it gave/gives him  to help make him a  success. He saw this taking the knee kerfuffle as a slight towards the USA, its  Flag and Anthem. He spoke his opinion.

Players here can all freely speak their mind  on their own private property, and/or in any public space. But in a private space  in this case which is an NFL game and host stadium represents, the fans who pay good money to escape life for a few hours in stadium or to watch it all on commercial t.v.  WANT NO PART OF THIS P.C., POLITICAL, SOCIAL CRAP!  The NFL for one has generally been one entity that  brings fans  and Americans together, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, politics or religion. Spoiled brat privileged  athletes  and  looking to be  cuck owners and league officials  are on  a  slippery path by not respecting what fans  want and why they watch NFL football. Take head any other sporting body which does the same crap.

Edited by Gordon Shumway
19 hours ago, Gordon Shumway said:

Players here can all freely speak their mind  on their own private property, and/or in any public space. But in a private space  in this case which is an NFL game and host stadium represents, the fans who pay good money to escape life for a few hours in stadium or to watch it all on commercial t.v.  WANT NO PART OF THIS P.C., POLITICAL, SOCIAL CRAP!  The NFL for one has generally been one entity that  brings fans  and Americans together, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, politics or religion. Spoiled brat privileged  athletes  and  looking to be  cuck owners and league officials  are on  a  slippery path by not respecting what fans  want and why they watch NFL football. Take head any other sporting body which does the same crap.

You hit the nail  on the head, sports used to be a respite from the daily grind and real life issues. They have sucked all the fun out of it, if I wanted to be lectured to on politics then I'd turn on FOX, CNN or PMSNBC.  The sad part is the NFL and most of its players don't even recognize they being played and used as tools to forward an agenda created by the left.

12 minutes ago, jfmajor60 said:

The sad part is the NFL and most of its players don't even recognize they being played and used as tools to forward an agenda created by the left.

Seriously?  That has to be the most uninformed post in this thread.

57 minutes ago, jfmajor60 said:

The sad part is the NFL and most of its players don't even recognize they being played and used as tools to forward an agenda created by the left.

Well many have heard or read of the notable saying of  a certain political/ideological persuasion. "Useful stooges.":whistle:

On 9/26/2017 at 10:34 AM, 11bee said:

On 9/26/2017 at 10:34 AM, 11bee said:

Seems a bit insulting, just assuming they are dumb jocks who can’t form rational opinions.  I think there are multiple issues in play but the catalyst for this Sunday’s episode seemed to have been statements from the White House.  

Most of the player interviews I’ve seen show some pretty eloquent answers as to why they chose to take a knee.  

I havnt seen the NFL this united and worked up since Trump knocked out a woman in an elevator

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
8 minutes ago, Gordon Shumway said:

:rofl: Good One TT.  Hi-lites NFL's hypocrisy quite well.

In my defense they were fine with it, and/or felt it was a sensitive subject they probably shouldn't talk about... So messy. Wouldn't want to say or do the wrong thing. 

23 hours ago, 82Whitey51 said:

The focus if off of the original intention of the gesture...now it is purely political, NFL v Trump.

winning

Pretty much. And the NFL can't win that anymore than the white house staff could score against the Ravens Defense. Of course the Jags did that many times so maybe I'm wrong...

Speaking of Jags/Ravens, 50 percent of the teams on Sunday will lose. How do you feel as a fan to watch your team get the anthem part "right" and then play like garbage? You know like they were too distracted and wrapped up in off field stuff to do their jobs or something? (just you know hypothetically) There were upsets abound all over the league You can't help but wonder if the not so good teams were able to take advantage of the better teams not playing their best. 

The bottom line is this. Trump will Troll you. We all know how to handle that right? send mixed messages and alienate the people who make you rich and famous. oh no wait its this:

:trolls:

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

And I'm not gonna link to it, because it will result in thread meltdown. But there are people who are already writing articles and bringing in the absolutely toxic identity politics to this mess:

"White athletes still standing for the athem are standing for white supremacy...

...what those players stood for on Sunday was white supremacy. Full stop."

image.jpg

The fan uproar over this NFL take a knee B.S. is not stopping... Will it endure long term? Will the NFL suffer its fan base backlash? We shall see. I hope it does see massive financial backlash. Fans want NO PART of social/political commentary in  the NFL, or in pro sports in general.. JUST STFU AND PLAY THE GAME!

This said as ONE man, one lowly consumer of products and services in life, I have with 100% personal conviction and IT WILL BE UNWAVERING AS GOD IS MY WITNESS!! will stop watching NFL games on t.v., will never accept tickets to any NFL games and  do all I can  to NOT buy products or services from any of its sponsors and will embark at avoiding tuning into any t.v. networks  as best I can which carry NFL games, be they  NBC, FOX, CBS, ESPN etc.

As to  my nation's pro football league, the much loved and enjoyed by me CFL. Seeing the game last Sunday between Calgary and Saskatchewan, and me being from Regina originally,  if the CFL players do the  same political $hit these two teams did last Sunday   I WILL STOP WATCHING THE CFL TOO AS GOD IS MY WITNESS! NO JOKE OR A LIE! I will do all I can  to not support its sponsors as well. I will not buy  or receive tickets to a CFL game.... These choices I make and may make,  may be hard at times  but  MY CONVICTION is tough too... SOCIAL B.S./ P.C./POLITICAL CRAP has no place in sports... Fans use sports to escape such for a few hours  and sports to bring fans together in  spirit and sporting competition support. I will use my money and lack of spending it on these  entities  if they  fail to stop this crap.

The current case, is clear to me, those who hate the USA  internally and externally want it to be torn down and   going after  its sporting  culture using rabid virtue signalling  here today is  NOT GOING TO GO OVER! NOT WITH ME  AS JUST A CANUCK  AND ALLY OF THE USA, NOR I HOPE AMERICANS WHO LOVE  THE  RED WHITE AND BLUE AND KNOW  WARTS AND ALL WHAT THE USA STANDS FOR IN LEADING THE WESTERN DEVELOPED WORLD!  

If the USA falls, the western developed world then  falls with it!

I am only ONE MAN, ONE CONSUMER, but I choose what and where I spend  my hard earned  $$$$ ON!  EFF THOSE WHO TAKE THE KNEE!  EFF THE NFL!

I have not been much of a roundy rounder NASCAR watcher, but let me tell  you all what. NASCAR said it will not play  in this toxic  P.C.  faux racist,   faux outrage crap.... I WILL BEGIN TO FOLLOW AND WATCH  NASCAR ! I will begin to support its sponsors were can be.:cheers::occasion2: MURICA F**KIN  EH! :occasion2:

Here is the list of NFL sponsors. Obviously it's almost impossible for a consumer to NOT buy from all of them or all of the time, but knowing them may help one who finds this NFL take a knee crap, disrespecting the  flag, anthem and ultimately as such the nation a problem can voice protest to any and each or temper when and where one may spend their hard earned incomes on.

Gatorade (PepsiCo) Isotonic beverage
'83
Visa Payment systems services
'95
Campbell’s Soup Soup
'98
FedEx Worldwide package delivery service
'00
Frito-Lay (PepsiCo) Salted snack/popcorn/peanuts/dips 
'00
Mars Snackfood Chocolate/non-chocolate confectionery
'02
Pepsi (PepsiCo) Soft drinks
'02
Dairy Management Inc. Dairy/milk/yogurt/cheese
'03
Bridgestone Tire
'07
Gillette/Head & Shoulders/
Vicks/Old Spice (Procter & Gamble)
Health/beauty/household products brands
'09
Verizon Wireless telecommunication service
'10
Barclays Affinity card/rewards program (NFL Extra Points)
'10
Papa John’s Pizza
'10
Castrol Motor oil
'10
Anheuser-Busch Beer
'11
USAA Insurance/military appreciation
'11
Bose Home theater system
'11
Courtyard by Marriot Hotel
'11
Xbox (Microsoft) Video game console/interactive video entertainment console
'11
Quaker Oats (PepsiCo) Hot cereal
'12
Tide/Duracell (Procter & Gamble) Household cleaning/battery power
'12
Lenovo Computers (desktop, laptop and computer workstations)
'12
McDonald's Restaurant
'12
SAP Cloud software solutions/business & business analytics software
'12
Surface/Windows (Microsoft) Sideline technology/tablet/PC operating system
'13
CoverGirl (Procter & Gamble) Beauty
'13
Zebra Technologies Player-tracking technology
'14
TD Ameritrade Personal investing/online brokerage/wealth management