ARC Discussion Forums
757flyer

Recent Russian Colors

757flyer   

Saw these two shots recently:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia-Navy/Mikoyan-Gurevich-MiG-29K-9-41/4570831/L

Did not realize that the underside was a three-color camouflage.  Was the Eggplant Gray simply painted over existing camouflage, and the lower side left as it was?

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia-Air-Force/Yakovlev-Yak-130/4570809/L

Interesting new font for the bort number on the nose...

Mike

That's a new Russian Naval Aviation camo - MiG-29Ks and Su-30SMs carry it. Air Force reverted back to the blue-grey one.

Bort number shape on Yak-130 is typical for this type. Similar type is also used on some Su-30SMs.

torchf4   

Dang and there's still no kit for the K!

That's a question I have been asking for about 30 years - and still have no definitive answer.

I asked a crew member of the Tu-95MS that visited the UK RAF Fairford airshow a few years back if he spoke English.

He answered that he did - so I asked about green wheel hubs - and after looking puzzled as to why anyone would ask such a daft question, he replied in a thick Russian accent........ "Is not significant!"

I also heard that it is a traditional old artillery colour - but have no idea of its significance.

There must be an old Soviet green paint Zavod somewhere in Russia still producing the colour - and no-one has told them to switch off!!

Ken

PS - The visiting Tu-95MS had buff-coloured wheel hubs BTW.

cag_200   

" There must be an old Soviet green paint Zavod somewhere in Russia still producing the colour - and no-one has told them to switch off!! "

aha !     

:thumbsup:

Maybe it is heat ressistant color, to withstand brake high temperatures because of braking discs. They have white, green and gray color for dielectric panels. And thats it :-)