Fw-190... converting an A-5 to A-6?

Just wondering exactly how the armament differed as I am want to convert my Eduard 1/72nd scale A-5 to the A-6.

I have the Aber set for gun barrels that covers the A-2 to A-6 but am unsure of which barrels to use.

Also, any other details that MUST be changed for a proper A-6?

If I understand correctly a pair of openings for empty shells in the belly (in some cases) should be added, but I'm not 100% sure.

Any help would be most welcome! :)

The main difference is that the A-6 uses a re-designed wing to allow for a pair of MG 151/20 cannons in the outer bays, unlike the earlier wing which could only house the Mg FF cannon in the outboard bays. The rest of the guns were not changed.

Check here for more details: http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/11/stuff_eng_fw190_01.htm

As for the kit, make sure you use the lower wing with the flat hatches under the outer wing cannon and open ejection ports in the hatches. Otherwise follow the instructions for an A-5. If using the decals for Walter Nowotny's aircraft, do not use any cannon in the outer bays - he had them removed to save weight and maximize performance.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234997435-fw-190a-5-profipack-172-eduard/

Excellent info, many thanks for taking the time to help me out.

I was not aware that Eduard include another set of lower wing, I will have to check my kit again.

And I will go for an A-6 in allied markings using Karaya decals so all weapons should probably be present.

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

Hmm, I may have hit a snag with the conversion to an A-6.

It seems the wing should have the rectangular bulge on the topside where the outer MG151 are located.

IIRC there is one cheap kit or another that have those bulges as separate pieces? Might be a good source for those bulges.

Examined my Eduard F-8 and that kit has the bulges molded in place. While their upper wings certainly look better this way it doesn't help me much for my A-6, unless I go for robbing the top wings from a second Eduard F-8.

Ah yes. I just today recieved the Valiant Wings book on the short nose 190s.

I did notice a few erranous or swapped around photo captions but otherwise a nice book, and in their diagrams of the different versions those upper wing rectangaluar bulges are indeed shown.

Edited by Anders_Isaksson

Nooooooo! A-8 has 30mm cannon in outer wing.  That's why the A-8 has the rectangle bulges on the outer wing. The larger 30mm cannon requires extra room. 

A-6 has 20mm cannon in outer wing (Same as wing root). It did not have the larger rectanglular bulges. A-8 wings won't help your A-6. 

Edited by jester292

Gaaah!

I'm getting all confused over this.

Before buying I checked pictures of the Eduard A-8/R2 sprues and found the rectangular bulges present so thought they would work out ok.

While 30 mm armament on the A-8/R2 I assume the bulges should be identical? Here's hoping... :)

As for the actual A-6 armament I have the Aber MG151 barrels required.

4 hours ago, jester292 said:

Here is PDF of Eduard instructions for A-6. See the wings. No bulges on top, hatch located on bottom underneath 151/20 in outer wing. 

https://www.eduard.com/store/out/media/8171.pdf

Strange. Could it be an error in the diagram in the Valiant Wings book that has sent me on this path? Hmm...

7 hours ago, jester292 said:

Fw 190A-8 would work, but not A8/R2. R2 replaced the outer 151/20 with 30mm Mk 108 cannon. The A-8 version had a circular hatch underneath the fuselage behind the wing root. That is not present on the A-6. 

Sorry jester, I forgot to reply to the above comment.

As I only need the upper wings to convert my A-5 I figure the different fuselage won't be a problem.

I'll try to make it simple. It can be confusing. 

Wing armament on A-6 was increased to 4 MG 151/20 (20 mm cannon). This required a small bulge in the LOWER wing which A-5 does not have. You can use A-5 upper wings but need A-6 lower wing. 

A-8 had 2x MG 131 in the nose. Required larger bulged cowing. You don't need that for your A-6. A-8 still had 4x MG 151/20. So A-8 wings will suffice for A-6. A-8 did have circular hatch on underside of fuselage that needs to be filled on the kit parts to be backdated to A-6.  The hatch is actually located on the lower wing piece, which makes up a portion of the fuselage. So yes you have to fill it. 

A-8/R2 and /R8 had the outer MG 151/20 replaced with Mk 108 30mm cannon. That is why they have the big rectangular bulge on upper wing. So those wings are not applicable to A-6. 

Edited by jester292