I need to use tiny diameter drill bits for my scratching, often just 0.1-0.2mm.  I've been buying these cheap sets off Ebay -

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10PCS-0-1-1-0MM-Carbide-Micro-Mini-Drill-Bit-Tungsten-Steel-Dremel-Rotary-Tools-/132086438226?var=&hash=item1ec0f71952:m:mZecVym484XnpFWubs-8UlA

But they snap soooooo easily (lucky they are cheap!).  Is there a better option out there for these fine drills which a clutz like me can't break so often, or is it just the nature of the beast?

I use the really fine ones to drill holes in the end of small Evergreen rods.  Perhaps there is another way to do this that does not involve drills that I don't know about?

cheers

Yup ... I snap the fine bits too. They're so-o-o fragile that it just takes, for me, a split second of distraction and the pin vise binds and ... PING!!

I've got 4 sets with no fine bits ... :crying:

I don't think you're going to hear of another solution to drilling tiny holes ... just keep a good stash of drill bits!  :rolleyes:

Pete

Carbide is brittle, and prone to breakage.  High speed steel is more robust, but they usually only go down to .3mm.  So ultimately, it's either 'use a bigger bit' or 'put up with the breakage'.

You can alleviate some of the problems by mounting the bits in a drill press, since that's how they're designed to be used (well, in a mill, but close enough).  They're reasonably robust under direct, vertical load; it's when you get any lateral load that they'll snap, so if you can drill straight down and straight up, you'll do better.  And since they've got a standard 1/8" shank, they're easy to mount.

But with a .1mm bit, basically *any* lateral load will snap the bit, so even in a drill press, you'll still break them frequently.  So again, you're back to either putting up with it, or using a larger HSS bit.

I am going to recommend this business . http://www.drillbitcity.com/catalogue/10_piece.asp

The phone # is at the web site and this man is very helpful . He can provide whatever you need and can also counsel you on procedures . 

Reasonable prices and great service . Highly recommended . I think this place is a one deep business .

Yes, carbide bits do not bend and they are brittle but there are alternative materials .

Cheers, Christian 

I should add, I use those drill bits in my fingers hanging onto the little coloured plastic bit, not in a pin vice or anything.

I also have 3 sets with the smallest two bits broken.

I have pondered if heating up a fine wire might be a better alternative for drilling small shallow holes?

Sorry , did not consider your whereabouts .

I used heated wire many years ago. Not a very good method .

Steel bits are not as sharp but  are more flexible the carbide ones ...Just a thought .

Cheers, Christian  

Yes heated wire will create craters along the surface. Also, when it cools off it gets stuck. 

I gather you don't use a pin vise? It will give you leverage to twist the drill bit more slowly and with even pressure but it's still a challenge to keep it perpendicular to the surface.

Maybe something like this would help:

http://musicmedic.com/plastic-handled-rotating-pin-vise.html

I'd probably do a bit better if I got a small vice to hold steady the bit I'm drilling also.  I just hold it in my hand, and use the fingers of the other hand to rotate the tiny fragile drill bit.

As you say, the wife asks me something mid-drill, I turn my head = sideways movement of hands = snapped drill bit.  Maybe I just need to ban my wife from talking during drilling to solve the problem :whistle:

• 4 weeks later...

Some side note on how to use the the carbide bits without breaking them .

Do not bend them sideways

Don't insist on drilling straight through the first time. Instead, back them and clear the flutes before going further . That seems to lessen the amount of torque needed to do the job . These bits are very aggresive  in the way they self feed through the materials.

I do still manage to break some occasionaly so keep some spares. 

Cheers, Christian