Tomcat 1/48 Scale Drawings

Hello everyone

I just getting into modern aircraft after a spell of ship modelling. Fancied a change. I came across a 1989 Hasegawa F-14A Tomcat Atlantic Squadrons kit a bring and buy sale in Falkirk, Scotland last weekend.

I'd like to design my own custom tail decals and was wondering if anyone has some accurate 1/48 scale PDF drawings that would allow me to design the decals. I intend to use adobe illustrator, using a nice drawing as a template.

I'd be extremely grateful if anyone could help me out. I bought a nice book from the kindle store on amazon, "Colours & Markings of US Navy Tomcats Pt.1". I'll be using this book as a reference when I decide what aircraft i'll base my kit on.

Cheers

Martin

Darren's advice works very well, because kits vary so much from Manufacturer.

Another thing to do would be to make a masking tape stripe for any decals that will be a stripe. Put them on the bare kit tails, get them nice and perfectly straight when looking at them from the side. Then peel them off and lay them on a piece of glass. You will see the curve that a "straight" tail stripe will have to have to it, in order to go onto the tail in a straight line. That is because of the curvature that a "true straight" line creates when applied to a 3D object when it is printed on flat paper.

Do test shots on paper before you commit your color printing to decal paper.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello guys

Just a quick thank you to all who replied to my thread about the Tomcat drawings. I've been a little busy over the past few weeks and i'm just getting round to following up on the forum.

Thanks again for the heads up. I'm going to try get my hands on that book that was mentioned.

Cheers

Martin