Okay, so it's time to add another Super Hornet to my complete Jolly Rogers history (30-strong collection). The way I did the Tomcats is how I'm doing the Super Hornets; with the F-14A's I did one representative scheme each from the 70's, 80's and 90's, then with the B's one each of the 90's and 2000's. Did one Super Hornet for its combat tour in '07. Now it's time for one of the 2010's. So I chose the beautiful gloss black and white-trimmed 201 modex from 2014, decals by Wolfpak (sheet #72-083, seen here) http://millcreekconsultants.com/WP72-16.html

I'd like some more options on loadouts typical of the recent couple of years. I don't want to load it heavily for bear, and probably not pure A-A, but would like something. Google images don't show much other than empty MER's, a training Mk-82, and one each GBU-38 and -12. I'm leaning toward something like that, wondering if I'd want to restrict it to a centerline tank only (since the '07 bird has the Goofy Gas load). 

I defer now to your combined wisdom and suggestions! 

2 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Wow, are those GBU-31's I see there??

In the pics posted by shion, the bombs on the right wing are GBU-32's (1,000 lb JDAM). The left wing outboard station has a GBU-12, (bottom pic) the midboard station has a GBU-38.

Pics posted by 757flyer, top pic - left to right: AIM-9X, GBU-38, GBU-38, ATFLIR, Drop Tank, Drop Tank, GBU-12.

bottom pic - left to right, AIM-9X, GBU-12, GBU-38, GBU-38, ATFLIR, Drop Tank, Drop Tank, GBU-12

12 hours ago, GW8345 said:

In the pics posted by shion, the bombs on the right wing are GBU-32's (1,000 lb JDAM). The left wing outboard station has a GBU-12, (bottom pic) the midboard station has a GBU-38.

Pics posted by 757flyer, top pic - left to right: AIM-9X, GBU-38, GBU-38, ATFLIR, Drop Tank, Drop Tank, GBU-12.

bottom pic - left to right, AIM-9X, GBU-12, GBU-38, GBU-38, ATFLIR, Drop Tank, Drop Tank, GBU-12

Really appreciate the photos, everyone, very helpful!

Let me ask this then, regarding the GBU-32. In the 1/72 Hasegawa Weapons Set VII, is what they claim is a GBU-31 JDAM; but it appears to be based on the 1,000 pounder. Did they misname it in that weapons set? 

7 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Let me ask this then, regarding the GBU-32. In the 1/72 Hasegawa Weapons Set VII, is what they claim is a GBU-31 JDAM; but it appears to be based on the 1,000 pounder. Did they misname it in that weapons set? 

It's pretty similar in size to their mk. 84 in weapons set I. I don't think it's misnamed. Attack squadron makes some GBU-32's in 1/72.  They make some good stuff. 

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Attack-Squadron-Models-1-72-GBU-32-JDAM-Joint-Direct-Attack-Munition-Resin-Set-/361741676533?hash=item54397beff5%3Ag%3ATfcAAOSw8w1X5Swt&_trkparms=pageci%3A7b73b78c-993f-11e7-870a-74dbd180648e%7Cparentrq%3A80236d9f15e0a9e808400d7efff35964%7Ciid%3A1

Edited by achterkirch
12 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

I couldn't tell you, I don't have that set so I can say if they are the right size or not.

2 hours ago, Vaildog said:

Ill never get over how goofy those off-kilter pylons look. Definitely should lose points with the judges

Yea, Boeing screwed the pooch on that one, now you know why the SH doesn't have a speed brake, it has six of them on the wing.

11 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

I couldn't tell you, I don't have that set so I can say if they are the right size or not.

Yea, Boeing screwed the pooch on that one, now you know why the SH doesn't have a speed brake, it has six of them on the wing.

Drag is Life!

8 hours ago, Vaildog said:

Ill never get over how goofy those off-kilter pylons look. Definitely should lose points with the judges

Wow, and I was thinking I needed new glasses! :rolleyes:

13 hours ago, achterkirch said:

Well, any reason why they wouldn't carry a -31, then? Since I have them, would a couple of those be a reasonable load?

How about this: 

Left wing with GBU-12 on outer; one each GBU-38's on the middle and inner pylons

Centerline tank

Right wing with empty outer pylon, one each GBU-32's on the middle and inner pylons

AIM-9X on one wingtip only (left maybe?)

9 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

How about this: 

Left wing with GBU-12 on outer; one each GBU-38's on the middle and inner pylons

Centerline tank

Right wing with empty outer pylon, one each GBU-32's on the middle and inner pylons

AIM-9X on one wingtip only (left maybe?)

Yep, that would be a good legal load. I would recommend an ATFLIR on the left cheek station.

2 hours ago, dnl42 said:

To what purpose?

Depends on what engineer you ask, I've heard it was weapon seperation clearance between the cheek station and the inboard pylon, I've also heard it was due to wing droop.

Joe H would know more details so I'll defer to his expertise for this (hopefully he will chime in and set me straight).

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 12:02 PM, GW8345 said:

Depends on what engineer you ask, I've heard it was weapon seperation clearance between the cheek station and the inboard pylon, I've also heard it was due to wing droop.

Joe H would know more details so I'll defer to his expertise for this (hopefully he will chime in and set me straight).

Joe had posted in the past that it was based on a possible weapon separation issue.

Regards,

Murph

52 minutes ago, Murph said:

Joe had posted in the past that it was based on a possible weapon separation issue.

Regards,

Murph

Yep.  Pylons were toed out because the wind tunnel data said that 2 specific stores in particular load configurations and release conditions might hit the fuselage.  

The wing drop was a different fix - one I can't recall right now with any certainty.  It might have been tweaked in the flight control software?

edit: not FCS - here is more than you'll ever want to know about the problem and the solution.

Edited by habu2
9 hours ago, habu2 said:

The wing drop was a different fix - one I can't recall right now with any certainty.  It might have been tweaked in the flight control software?

edit: not FCS - here is more than you'll ever want to know about the problem and the solution.

Fascinating paper! Thanks for pointing that out. :thumbsup: