I finally saw Dunkirk and thought it was okay, though I didn't care for the exterior dogfight shots from the cameras mounted on the so called "Spitfire".  One thing that struck me was how amazingly similar the voice of Spitfire flight leader sounds just like that of Michael Caines!

Edited by afspret

it was good...but blending the 3 stories got a bit tiring and confusing and I never got the feeling there were 400,000 guys on the beach.  Perhaps a CGI shot of the beach full of 400,000 soldiers from a Ju-87 on an attack run would have shown the size of the situation better.

22 hours ago, SBARC said:

it was good...but blending the 3 stories got a bit tiring and confusing...

That's exactly how I felt Steve.  It was a half decent movie but it was tough to follow in places.

On 9/14/2017 at 5:36 PM, SBARC said:

and I never got the feeling there were 400,000 guys on the beach. 

That's because there never were 400,000 guys on the beach at one time. It was an orderly and layered withdrawal with an evacuation lasting several days, so the troops arrived in stages rather than all at once. Also, I believe the majority of troops were evacuated from the mole rather than the beach.

In addition to the Dunkirk evacuation, significant numbers of other BEF troops retreated through Normandy and up to Cherbourg, from where they were evacuated (including my partner's late father). Dunkirk gets the headlines (and rightly so) but British and French troops were evacuated from various points along the French coast in the weeks following Dunkirk - including St Nazaire, where the greatest ever British loss of life from a single ship occurred on 17 June 1940 when the Lancastria was sunk in the Loire estuary. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Lancastria

John

7 hours ago, AX 365 said:

That's exactly how I felt Steve.  It was a half decent movie but it was tough to follow in places.

The odd thing is it did accurately capture the fog of war.  When involved in any situation....you really have no accurate info on what is happening except in your immediate little area.  The movie captured this very well.....whether that was planned is another matter.  I would have preferred more about the French and British rear guard action.....that is where my Uncle Norm was.

3 hours ago, John Tapsell said:

That's because there never were 400,000 guys on the beach at one time. It was an orderly and layered withdrawal with an evacuation lasting several days, so the troops arrived in stages rather than all at once. Also, I believe the majority of troops were evacuated from the mole rather than the beach.

In addition to the Dunkirk evacuation, significant numbers of other BEF troops retreated through Normandy and up to Cherbourg, from where they were evacuated (including my partner's late father). Dunkirk gets the headlines (and rightly so) but British and French troops were evacuated from various points along the French coast in the weeks following Dunkirk - including St Nazaire, where the greatest ever British loss of life from a single ship occurred on 17 June 1940 when the Lancastria was sunk in the Loire estuary. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Lancastria

John

If I had a nickel from every person who said what was depicted didn't match what was on the beach in WWII I'd be a millionaire. You are correct, when you match some of the movie images with the beaches they have similar patterns. The evacuation was over 10 days.

10 of the small boats were actually used in the actual evacuation. I found that detail interesting too. 

8 hours ago, AX 365 said:

I have read the book on the making of the movie. That was the intent of the director, to create the fog of war.

Edited by Scooby