Great Wall Hobby 1/48 T-33A "Late Type"

Late types (block numbers after 20) were mostly used by USAF and ANG units, the nose had two dielectrical panels instead of one and no more gun covers, Pitots tube were 2 on the side of the fuselage instead of one under the nose. Hope they have added more kind of tires...

2 hours ago, Igor011 said:

So this one can be a late model?

kohkqRH.jpg

looks like a recon aircraft with the camera glasses... maybe RT-33A, since it's a former Yugoslavian airforce plane.

Edited by mingwin
6 hours ago, Paolo Maglio said:

Late types (block numbers after 20) were mostly used by USAF and ANG units ... .

From the paint guide, looks like GWH  may have included chaff dispensers!! Would be even nicer if they also included the centerline baggage pod radar reflector since the late birds were used extensively as targets for interceptors.

Gene K

3 hours ago, Craig Baldwin said:

Found some images with luggage pods but nothing with the radar reflectors. My only memory of installing the reflector were a small cylindrical pod on centerline station.

Craig,

Check out this thread for some more on reflectors and pods.

Gene K

On 9/14/2017 at 11:20 AM, Igor011 said:

So this one can be a late model?

kohkqRH.jpg

Hi Igor,

the bird in your picture is an IT-33 (a local modification of a T-Bird into a recce machine). The RT-33 has a completely different nose, the IT-33 has the standard "slim" trainer nose with cameras added.

I'm doing this conversion right now and use the "early" edition of the GWH kit as I can't see any of the "late" features on the Yugoslav machine (description of "late" features from Modeling Madness):

"Late note: Allow me to add some clarification between the 'early' and 'late' T-33s. Thanks to info I got after posting this preview, I found out that the 'late' boxing will have some changes made to it that some (myself included) did not realize existed.

At some time in the T-33s life, the following changes were made, most of them having to do with the nose section. First of all, a small NACA vent was added to the doors to the gun bays. Secondly, the pitot was moved from under the nose to where there were two of them on either side of the fuselage halfway down the side and forward of the windscreen. I am also thinking that the upper and lower TACAN antennas were a later addition as well."

I think you're save to go with the "early" boxing.

Cheers Markus

Edited by Shorty84

So...sorry for being late to the GWH T-33A questions.

So if I were to build a Canadian T Bird...which one?

OR

Neither due to so many differences?

I'm sure there will a an explanation of either kit referencing to each listing below;

GWH L4819?

GWH L4821?

This is why I love this site, the experience others may offer on a technical note.

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

So if I were to build a Canadian T Bird...which one?

OR

Neither due to so many differences?

Neither are exactly like a Canadair version but only small changes have to be made. And depending what era you are looking at.

You can PM me and I can let you know in more detail.

Edited by Craig Baldwin
  • 7 months later...
On 9/13/2017 at 10:58 PM, Paolo Maglio said:

Late types (block numbers after 20) were mostly used by USAF and ANG units, the nose had two dielectrical panels instead of one and no more gun covers, Pitots tube were 2 on the side of the fuselage instead of one under the nose. Hope they have added more kind of tires...

They have the twelve hole wheels in it, so yes they did.

Edited by Scooby