Any HH-43 Pedro's in 1/48?

The only ones I can find on the interweb is the old Testors kit in 1/32 or one in 1/72.   Neither is my scale of preference so I was wondering if there might be an old vac kit in 1/48 or if anyone has tried to scratch build one?   Pretty significant bird in the early stages of SEA.   If I've researched correctly, William Pitsenbarger earned his MOH as a PJ riding one of these in action.

Edited by Drifterdon
  • 3 months later...

Aurora made an HOK-1 in 1/4" scale. They sell for all kinds of prices across the board. Collector condition is pricey, builder condition much less. You get something that provides the basis for an HH-43 but it would take a significant amount of scratch building to get there.

Chris M

I have one of those in my stash that I picked up years ago and was already assembled and broken. Sadly there would not be much crossover between them as you said scratch building would be the order of

the day. It's a model that the manufacturers need to provide at some point. Just sayin'

Edited by mustangbob51
Misspelled

Don,

I can't help with models, but do you have these resources on the H-43? I have the Mutza book and it is excellent, with detailed photos & drawings from which you (not me, but you. I have seen your skills) could build an H-43. 

Kaman H-43: An Illustrated History by Wayne Mutza (Schiffer Military/Aviation History)

• Series: Schiffer Military/Aviation History
  • Paperback: 112 pages
  • Publisher: Schiffer Publishing, Ltd. (May 1, 1998)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0764305298
  • ISBN-13: 978-0764305290
  • Product Dimensions: 8.8 x 0.5 x 11.2 inches

TacAir's HH-43 Huskie book is a color photo walkaround of the aircraft for
modelers. Available at http://tacair-press.com/tacair.shtml (website defunct).

Title Kaman HH-43 Huskie Modeler's Quick Reference Manual
Editor Michael Benolkin
Photographs by Michael Benolkin
Illustrated by Michael Benolkin
Edition illustrated
Publisher TacAir Publications, 1998
ISBN 1891344064, 9781891344060
Length

19 pages

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Don,

I can't help with models, but do you have these resources on the H-43? I have the Mutza book and it is excellent, with detailed photos & drawings from which you (not me, but you. I have seen your skills) could build an H-43. 

Kaman H-43: An Illustrated History by Wayne Mutza (Schiffer Military/Aviation History)

TacAir's HH-43 Huskie book is a color photo walkaround of the aircraft.

Dutch,  I have the Schiffer book on the Huskie and I may also have the TacAir book as well buried in the book stash.   I could be the sacrificial lamb and scratch build one of these which would almost guarantee a new mold injection kit for the rest out there.  Usually how it goes right?   I just wish I had the time to take on a project like this.   You'd think maybe KittyHawk would be interested in this project since they've taken up the mantle of producing the best Huey kit on the market.   Maybe someone like Floyd Werner can put the bug in their ear and let them know they'd have a winner on their hands.  Just my humble opinion tho...

Don

This is the perpetual struggle of our chosen profession: when the modeler's desire to create his chosen fantasy (hereafter referred to as subject "X") overcomes his patience at waiting for the mainstream manufacturers to issue the pen-ultimate kit of "X" which is only tempered by his significant other's patience and his wallet's ability to assuage his primeval urges in funding his search by pilfering wanton amounts of hard earned cash on every book or magazine with even a mention or low quality b&w photo of "X" and any piece of plastic & resin that even closely resembles "X."  Ah yes!  Let the struggle commence!  Hang in there Bro. 

Edited by Dutch
  • 4 years later...
On 9/15/2017 at 9:45 PM, Drifterdon said:

That is good news.   For the 1/32 crowd.   No help for the 48th scale bunch.   Maybe we can all see if the guys over at AMP might look to doing a new tool HH-43 in 1/48.   They just released a 1/48 Sikorsky H03S-1.  Ya, right!!!

Good things come to those who wait. My AMP new tool HH-43 kit arrived today. It's a nice kit (typical AMP), and I recommend it.

Another great book about the H-43 is below:  (Covers piston Huskie and turbine Huskie)

Kaman H-43 Huskie, A Lifetime After Military Service

Ath.  Johan D. Ragay

ISBN:  978-90-7153-19-6

Flash Aviation Service/Luchtvarrt Winkel

Zeelsterstraat 177A

5652 EG Eindhoven, Netherlands

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question about Auroras 1/48 Kit 505 HOK-1 Huskie.  I remember a very long time ago I bought the above kit, and it had an option of equipping it with pontoons.  Does anybody else remember this too?  Or is my old age leading my mind astray?  Also does anyone have the original kit instructions that you could scan and e-mail me?

E-mail:  shmlmm68@frontier.com

• 2 weeks later...

The Aurora boxart showed it above water, but no floats.

Aurora (actually the Helicopters for Industry molds) also put floats on its Navy H-19/HRS/HO4S....which they don't call by name.

So there may have been floats in the HOK box.

Here is a photo from Scalemates showing a completed kit. No floats on this one.

It's worth noting this ancient kit (circa 1954!!!) features a complete clear door to allow for the window...something only recently rediscovered on newer kits. (And especially interesting since most of the other HFI/Aurora kits did not offer windows other than the windshield.).

BTW...I'm pretty sure the Navy never called it's HOKs Huskies.

That was an AF nickname. The Pedro name was unofficial and came later in the Vietnam era.

Screenshot_2022-07-29-08-03-51_kindlephoto-62375846.png

Edited by JohnEB
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/20/2022 at 3:16 AM, HomeBe said:

So I finally ordered and received my HH-43 Huskie kit.   Wow, this kit is awesome and well worth the wait.   Now if someone (like maybe AMP) would do a HH-3E Jolly Green in 1/48 we'd be all set.