Hello All

Just finished the 1/48 Kittyhawk UH-1H as a Slick from 9 Squadron RAAF in SVN.  I've added numerous bits n pieces to this build as well as the excellent Werners Wings Huey decals.

It was done as a review build for The Modelling News so I can only share a few pics here.  Follow the link below to the full 4 part WIP & build article.

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2017/09/build-guide-pt-iv-andrew-finishes.html

4.12-XL.jpg

4.23-XL.jpg

4.17-XL.jpg

4.21-XL.jpg

I hope you like this one.  I can't wait to build another. 

Cheers

Andrew P

2 minutes ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!  Great work and it is a beautiful piece of modeling.  Absolutely fabulous rendition.  Glad you enjoyed the decals.  May I use the photos on the Werner's Wings Facebook page?

Floyd

No problems to use the pics Floyd. Glad the decals lived up to expectations. :beer4: 

6 hours ago, AndrewPerren said:

Hello All

Just finished the 1/48 Kittyhawk UH-1H as a Slick from 9 Squadron RAAF in SVN.  I've added numerous bits n pieces to this build as well as the excellent Werners Wings Huey decals.

It was done as a review build for The Modelling News so I can only share a few pics here.  Follow the link below to the full 4 part WIP & build article.

4.12-XL.jpg

4.23-XL.jpg

4.17-XL.jpg

4.21-XL.jpg

Cheers

Andrew P

THIS IS AMAZING!

22 minutes ago, huey_crew_chief said:

Great looking!

Got a question.  The build is magnificent, but all the build ups of this kit show the main rotor control tubes  a little off.  Is it me?

Again, great build. I am asking about the kits design.  

I really didnt want to criticise the model but i agree with Dave´s comment. The tubes are definitly off, so as the main rotor mast, it looks angled a bit backwards, but it doesnt mean the mast must be straight, in the real thing it angles a bit forward, thats the only criticise i can make, the rest is a pure BEAUTY!

Rod.

26 minutes ago, salvador001 said:

I really didnt want to criticise the model but i agree with Dave´s comment. The tubes are definitly off, so as the main rotor mast, it looks angled a bit backwards, but it doesnt mean the mast must be straight, in the real thing it angles a bit forward, thats the only criticise i can make, the rest is a pure BEAUTY!

Rod.

Thats a fair point about the control tubes. The horns they connect to at the bottom seem to be the main culprit. Somebody said earlier they are mirror reversed to the real thing. I also think they could extend and wrap around the mast a bit further. No way to fix the kit parts without completely replacing. 

As far as the main mast that is mostly due to me tying the blade down to the tail. As built the main rotor actually teetered on the joint at the top of the mast. It just seemed too weak for me knowing the model will have a few outings so I firmed up the joints for strength. 

4 minutes ago, huey_crew_chief said:

Let me be clear.  I am not criticizing the built, it is awesome.  I am just asking about the actual mechanics of the kit. PLEASE DONT THINK I AM TALKING BADLY ABOUT YOUR BUILD.  

:thumbsup: all good. Thanks to everyone for their comments. Much appreciated.

21 hours ago, AndrewPerren said:

Hello All

4.12-XL.jpg

4.23-XL.jpg

4.17-XL.jpg

4.21-XL.jpg

Cheers

Andrew P

Nice job Andrew, I may have to get one of those now.

You did A2-377 as a slick......you should of done her as a Bushranger Gunship:punk: She may have belonged to the RAAF but 9 Sqn at the time was bulked out with 8 RAN pilots and 13 RNZAF pilots. I had the pleasure of serving with the late Leut A.A Hill(one of the first RAN pilots to serve with 9 Sqn in SVN in 1968), on 817 Sqn in 2005....he had some good waries to spin.

Cheers,

Devo

Edited by Devo
4 minutes ago, Devo said:

Nice job Andrew, I may have to get one of those now.

You did A2-377 as a slick......wasn't she a Bushranger Gunship during her time in Vietnam...or did she start off as a Slick and was converted to Gunship during the tour??

Cheers,

Devo

Thanks Devo.

Yes all the aircraft fitted for Bushranger Mods started out as slicks as delivered and could also be re-configured back to a troop carrier by simply removing the weapons kits.  I guess dependant upon airframe availability and tasking.

Bushranger was an in theatre Aussie modification that was born out of the need for in-house air to ground fire support for our own operations.  It became too hard to co-ordinate with the yanks, so the story goes they scrounged enough components from the US boneyards there to prove the concept.   

The kit does not include suitable weapons to make a Bushranger,  so I'm working on that as a side project for my next one which will be A2-773 which was the first Bushranger.

Cheers Andrew P.

6 minutes ago, AndrewPerren said:

Thanks Devo.

Yes all the aircraft fitted for Bushranger Mods started out as slicks as delivered and could also be re-configured back to a troop carrier by simply removing the weapons kits.  I guess dependant upon airframe availability and tasking.

Bushranger was an in theatre Aussie modification that was born out of the need for in-house air to ground fire support for our own operations.  It became too hard to co-ordinate with the yanks, so the story goes they scrounged enough components from the US boneyards there to prove the concept.   

The kit does not include suitable weapons to make a Bushranger,  so I'm working on that as a side project for my next one which will be A2-773 which was the first Bushranger.

Cheers Andrew P.

:thumbsup::beer4: