F-102 Paint Help

Howdy all.  I just finished construction on the excellent Meng 1:72 F-102A.  I know the real world aircraft were generally painted ADC Grey, FS16473.  My problem is finding that color for my kit aircraft.  Cybermodeler's normally very helpful color reference page suggests Vallejo 70.973, which was available at my local hobby store, so I went it.  Turns out it's waaaaaaaay too blue.  So blue that I can't even pretend that it looks okay.  So now I'm looking for something to repaint the aircraft with.  

The various paint comparison charts suggest Tamiya XF-19, which doesn't look quite blue enough to my eye.  From what I've seen there doesn't seem to be a direct match.  I'd love to get an equivalent that isn't too hard to find (don't mind ordering online somewhere if I have to) because I've got an F-101 to build and I'm certain that I'll also buy the Meng F-106 at some point soon.  

I typically use Vallejo, Tamiya, or Mission Model Paint but have used both Gunze (Mr. Color and Aqueos) in the past and have thinners/supplies for them.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Did I miss an obvious match?  Thanks for any help.

hi GoBlue.

we have different problems on paint for the same aircraft.

i'm goin' crazy for a bare metal f-102 on a keflavik's black knights. (see my post).

it seems that you have problems finding the right adc gray. well, i can suggest to try lthe lifecolor UA 041 "gloss aircraft gray" f.s.16473.

i used that for my f-106 and '101 and i'm perfectly satisfied. just don't expect a hi gloss finish (which i anyway dislike).

i'm ok with the semigloss (in 1/72) finish it naturally gives, but if you want more gloss, you just can shoot a gloss clear finish.

best ciaos, and happy modeling.

bobo.

If you find that Tamiya XF-19 is close but not quite blue enough, I'd suggest creating your own custom color by adding a drop or two of blue into the paint until it looks right to your eye. I often spend an hour or two at night doing nothing but mixing paint, spraying each color onto 2"x3" plastic card "chips" until I get the color I'm looking for. It's a little time consuming but very satisfying.

I found this from IPMS Real Cote (Montreal) website http://ipmsrealcote.pro-forums.org/t832-tamiya-mixes-for-some-fs-colors-full-up-to-date-list-in-english

I did not try the mix myself but this is what they suggest 36473 Light Aircraft Grey - RLM 76 -- XF23:1 + XF66:2 + XF2:7 , of course the first digit is the matte version.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2017 at 5:45 PM, DonSS3 said:

It was in the Modeler enamel range, but Testors discontinued it. I think mose of the major paint lines have it. I like Enamels, so Xtracolour would be my next choice.

16473 is still available in both the Testors enamel (Model Master I) and acrylic lines.  AMC Gray is the one that has now been discontinued along with the Model Master II line.

3 hours ago, Camus272 said:

16473 is still available in both the Testors enamel (Model Master I) and acrylic lines.  AMC Gray is the one that has now been discontinued along with the Model Master II line.

I would avoid their acrylic version.  It goes on thick, does not sand well, and peels off in huge chunks if you just walk by the model while holding some masking tape.  Absolutely the worst paint I've ever used.

Regards,

Murph

17 hours ago, Murph said:

I would avoid their acrylic version.  It goes on thick, does not sand well, and peels off in huge chunks if you just walk by the model while holding some masking tape.  Absolutely the worst paint I've ever used.

Regards,

Murph

Your description complete sums up my experience with Life Color. But yeah, Acryl is touchy but I haven't had any problems using it over an enamel base coat.

2 hours ago, Camus272 said:

Your description complete sums up my experience with Life Color. But yeah, Acryl is touchy but I haven't had any problems using it over an enamel base coat.

desolé camus, but i have a totally diffrerent experience with LIFECOLOR.

these are the only -so far as i know- real water-based acrylics, and have one of the best correspondence to F.S. as compared to many others.

being water-based, you can really clean with plain water until they cure; thereafter lifecolor own cleaner, or in extreme situations isopropyl-alcohol, do the rest.

actually hard to handbrush on large surfaces, they work well on details.

yeah, until you have them coated with a clear finish, they're easy to scratch, but it never happened to me that the paint would strip or chip if well primed (gray tamiya), an accident which occurs instead with the much conspicuous -sorry to say that, as actually i love them- model master acryl...i had a few bad stripping surprises from m.m. acryl.

best ciaos, and happy modeling!

bobo.

If you do use the Testors Acrylic paint make sure you prime and let the primer dry thoroughly. I use Tamiya grey primer in two light coats. Let it (primer) cure well and then proceed to paint with the Acrylic colors. Failing to prime with a good primer is just inviting disaster with Testors Acrylic paints.

Good luck with your project!

Regards,

Don

Thanks for all the input and suggestions, everyone.  I ended up going with Model Master Acyrl because my local hobby shop happened to have it.  It went down beautifully - smooth and glossy and with no problems.  I'm putting down decals right now.  When I'm done, if I think the model looks presentable, I'll post a few pictures.  

Thanks again!

For future reference, in case any one stumbles across this thread in the future, I found FS16473 at MCW finishes

http://mcwfinishes.com/military/aircraft/american/

If you are not familiar, MCW was among the first to offer properly matched colors for car models. The original owner has sold the paint business, and the new owners have added aircraft colors.  I have yet to deal with the new owners, but the idea of their paints in aircraft colors sounds appealing. I had good results using this paint on car models.

GoBlue96, I am glad you found the paint and were able to paint your model with good results.  Please share pictures when you are finished with the model.