CD72076 & CD72083 - 1/72 FJ-3 Fury

This is now an FJ-3 sheet - it looks like there were few FJ-2 schemes that really were interesting. Still, I may do an FJ-2 sheet in the future.

It looks like there is ample material for two 1/72 sheets if the first one does well - expect teh first FJ-3 sheet to appear sometime in the August/September timeframe.

Edited by KursadA

Love it, Kursad. That's one of my favorite schemes! But if I may be picky for a second, most (if not all) of the "blue" FJ-3 Furies had the early wing with the narrow chord and automatic leading-edge slats. The Sword FJ-3 (and FJ-3M) kit comes with the later "6-3" extended "hard" leading edge wing with no slats and a horse-shoe-shaped fence. Most (if not all) gray-over-white Furies had this later wing. The crafty modeler can "fix" the wing or even use (if budget allows) the early wing from the FJ-2 kit to get the right wing configuration. This is picky, and most modelers won't give a hoot. But I look forward to whatever you make!

• 4 months later...

The options on the first 1/72 scale FJ-3 Fury sheet (CD72076) are: VF-142, VF-154, VF-51 and VU-3. Here are some drafts - I will refine the profiles further by adding refueling probes, etc. next week. But they should give you an idea of what the options are.

There will be a second 1/72 scale Fury sheet (CD72083) with 4 more options.

cd72076promos.jpg

Edited by KursadA

Cool, I was going to make masks and fool around with a lot of work to do VF-73 and VF-173.

Now, I can just use Caracal decals for those two.

I'll order both sheets at the same time though.

You're keeping 1/72 scale fun for me.

Your sheets are pretty darned close to "nailing it" as far as my needs go, L-204 was one of my planned builds, and I had planned on AD-207 for the other, and can easily change my plans and do AD-204 instead.

Edited by Rex

Sharp BuNo readers will see that we now have three decal options available for building the FJ-3 Bombers. The FJ-3 kit already had one, the VF-21 decals.

Now, sheet one from Caracal gives us another, 139255 of VF-142, and sheet two has 139261 of VF-173.

FJ-3 bomb capable aircraft were those starting with 136118 and up to 141363, with FJ-3M being the 80 aircraft from 141364 and up. (this is "as built", not counting those that got FJ-3M wiring later in a retrofit)

Now that the decals are available,,,,it is time for me to get a few more Sword kits. (it takes two FJ-3M kits to get enough pylons to modify for bombs, for each "FJ-3B" being built)

Not being ungrateful,,,,,I am as happy as anyone else that has waited for these kits, and your decal sheets,,,,,,,,,,but, any plans to do FJ-3M decals, whether as built or as retrofitted with the missile wiring?

I have only found bombs and rockets on the correct BuNos during the tests of the bombs, single HVARs, and rocket pods on the pylons.

All of the squadron Bombers that I have found photos of only show the two tanks, without the other 4 pylons,,,,,,,,,or they show them after they got retrofitted to be FJ-3M.

Not definitive I know,,,,,,some guy might have 40  pictures of those airframes carrying bombs in squadron markings.

I just only have them in pictures as Gunfighters or Missile Fighters.

Since they could be configured as bombers,,,,,,,,I am going to just pick a decal scheme with the right BuNo, and build it as training in the bombing role. (it must have been done sometime, just like all the Navair fighters with Shapes on them that didn't actually take off with live ones)

I think these are all the 72nd scale Fury markings that I will do for the foreseeable future - I may consider doing others if these sheets sell well, and if I need to draw more artwork for the 48th scale kits that are on the way.

Fair enough, your company isn't named "Fury decals, inc", after all.

These 8 schemes give us plenty to build or to decal-bash with Sword's to give us numbers and BuNo bits to make our own FJ-3M models if we want them.

I am thankful that we have those kits, and these decals to build with.

These two sheets make it the 9th and 10th time you have hit my area of interest with decal sheets, so far. That is pretty darned good considering how narrow my subject really is overall.

I am glad you liked them - I find the Cold War-era US Navy markings very interesting and would like to expand my range of 1/72 and 1/48 subjects in this niche, so please keep your valuable suggestions coming. 

4 minutes ago, KursadA said:

I am glad you liked them - I find the Cold War-era US Navy markings very interesting and would like to expand my range of 1/72 and 1/48 subjects in this niche, so please keep your valuable suggestions coming. 

Kursad, how about an RF-8 sheet? RVHP seems to have done another run of their conversion sets in 1/48 so maybe there will be some interest. There are a lot of cool markings out there, both hi-viz, lo—viz, and TPS!

1 hour ago, picknpluck said:

Kursad, how about an RF-8 sheet? RVHP seems to have done another run of their conversion sets in 1/48 so maybe there will be some interest. There are a lot of cool markings out there, both hi-viz, lo—viz, and TPS!

Hate to steer the Fury thread away from Furys, but I second this recommendation.  I have a couple RF-8 conversions, and it’s only a matter of time before someone releases an RF-8 kit in 1/48.

corey

Didn't Koster have an RF-8 conversion as well?

The effort would be worthwhile if I can also get an F-8 sheet or two as a byproduct  - are there any good F-8 sheets that have stilll not been done? 

10 minutes ago, KursadA said:

Didn't Koster have an RF-8 conversion as well?

The effort would be worthwhile if I can also get an F-8 sheet or two as a byproduct  - are there any good F-8 sheets that have stilll not been done? 

I don’t think Koster did.  I believe you are thinking of the vacuform RF-8 conversion that War Eagle did?

corey