1:1 scale F-111 cockpit mystery

This is not about an F-111 model. I suppose it's fair to say it is a module, though. I have a Kodachrome slide, undated, of a 1:1 scale F-111 cockpit section.It may have been taken on the 1980s.  I cannot identify much about it. The module is gray, maybe the overall gray of late F-111s or FB-111s. It is an image of the module sitting in a crowded, dark hangar. Behind it is an Aerostar fuselage. The information written on the slide in my handwriting is "F-111A, 67-4823 (?), Springfield, IL." Though in my handwriting I do not recall seeing it or taking this shot!

I have searched all over the internet without success.

It may be a mock-up, though it looks much like the few real modules that are out there.

BTW, the serial is not a real F-111 serial.

Does anyone have a clue what this is?

Thanks

Rick

I would imagine its either an F-111 cockpit escape capsule mockup or an actual capsule:

avf111_04.jpg

If its an actual capsule from an actual F-111 then it could be from any F-111. Without further info it would be anyone's guess as to which aircraft it came from.

HTH.

Regards,

Don

Notice the mission marks on that 111 capsule Ken posted above. The photo intrigued me and I wanted to see if I could find out which of the 9 F-111's lost in Vietnam it came from. Apparently its not an easy answer. If interested, here is a link to a PDF on the "Moscow Module":

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0ahUKEwjCu5_o_a_WAhVFVyYKHSH7ALcQFgg3MAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Ff-111.net%2Fdownloads%2FMoscow-Module.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEKgn3DRxG2Esem9bPICCut_ZWV6Q

Worth the read.

Regards,

Don.

EDIT: Spelling

Edited by Don

We were in a hurry at MAI - like kids in Alladin's Cave, going round photographing everything before our hosts said 'Stop!' and kicked us out.

I have some more photos of the F-111 capsule showing some of the details mentioned in the .pdf file - I'll post them if you want ??

Ken

Some kind of training piece is worth considering. Does anyone know if General Dynamics built some extra escape modules? 

So far no one has been able to tie the module to Springfield Illinois where the shot was made. Kind of an odd place to be in a civilian hangar. IL ANG is there. No connection to the F-111 AFAIK.

The gray fuselage color puts it late in the F-111 era, the FB-111 era or the RAAF era.

The story of the Moscow Module was very cool. Somehow I doubt it is the one I'm trying to identify. It would have to have gotten from Vietnam to Moscow to Springfield Illinois. Highly unlikely in my book!

Thanks for your efforts. I'll keep my eyes open for other clues.

Rick

Here is another module:

F-111D-68-0125_a.jpg

note the front of it which looks like it came from a real a/c while another view of the one in post#2:

General Dynamics F-111 escape module.

at the Aerospace Museum of California, McClellan Airport, has just a blank panel at the front which probably means it purpose built trainer. 

Jari

There are privately owned capsules and have been for a while. The first picture "Finn" posted is of Chris Woodul's F-111 capsule (he also owns all the ejection seats you see in the background).  Many of these people tour the Country during airshow season and show off their collections, often charging a fee to sit in the cockpit/capsule sections of whatever aircraft to have your photo taken or whatever. They also loan out/rent out pieces of their collection to museums, science centers, library displays etc. This has gone on for decades. I remember sitting in an F-86 cockpit section back in the 70's at an airshow. I don't think the F-111 capsule in Springfield is all that odd or rare (per se) due to the fact that there are now and have been F-111 and other cockpit sections of various aircraft touring about. Determining which F-111 the Springfield capsule came from or of it was a training capsule/mockup is anyone's guess in the absence of identification or serial numbers.

Thanks Don and Finn and all others for checking further and mentioning other possibilities. I'm about to go looking for a serious spotter (which I am not) for help.

I have gleaned the following info from the slide:

The view is of the front left side.

In the immediate background is an Aerostar fuselage with wings and horiz. stabs. removed. Also sans rudder. Registration is N333WT which is currently registered to a Beech King Air.

The F-111 cockpit  does not have any of the plexiglass installed and the frames have details like a "real" F-111 vs. the mockups..

The seats do not have the standard red headrests and has some black ones of a different shape. Prototype?

The front bulkhead of the capsule is red and has the vertical ribs seen on genuine F-111 capsules.

It is sitting on some kind of frames without wheels.

Unless someone comes up with new info I am going to stop adding to this thread so we can get back to posts about what we all love...modeling! Feel free to PM me to discuss more.

Cheers

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

When I was at Dover in 1973 we got a capsule in on a pallet.  It was waiting to be sent on to its next location and from the looks of it , deffinately fired from a real aircraft, not clean and neat.

When I was in a couple fighter squadrons they always had a cockpit training device to help the pilots remain up on their various procedures .  The sitting pilot would react to problems given by another pilot who would watch the student and see which control he would move in response.  Even I had to use a more elaborate one to get cockpit qualified  so I could sit in the seat and do what I had to do and I had to do this for three different types of aircraft.