Hello friends

Ill be doing an 1/72 Apache

but want to know what is the best  1/72 Apache on the market right now

Hobby Boss

Academy

Italeri

or Hasegawa

Your opinion will be greatly appreciate and if someone have photo of 1/72 built you have done in the past they are also welcome

Thanks for the help friends

This version by Academy is the best Apache ever done in 1/72: https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/aca/kit_aca_12514.shtml 

It has two basic variants included covering Iraq and some in Korea at a later date. I believe they have just released an even newer variant but haven't seen it yet. It is the only proper D made as a new kit as others are poor conversions (Ital and Hase) of  earlier A versions. While the Academy A is an earlier mold, it too is probably the best A. The Academy D has also been released in a British version with some extra parts for that version but It seems to be rare and I haven't got one yet.

Edited by RCAFFAN
49 minutes ago, RCAFFAN said:

This version by Academy is the best Apache ever done in 1/72: https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/aca/kit_aca_12514.shtml 

It has two basic variants included covering Iraq and some in Korea at a later date. I believe they have just released an even newer variant but haven't seen it yet. It is the only proper D made as a new kit as others are poor conversions (Ital and Hase) of  earlier A versions. While the Academy A is an earlier mold, it too is probably the best A. The Academy D has also been released in a British version with some extra parts for that version but It seems to be rare and I haven't got one yet.

Thanks

that one is exactly the one I got for jut 14 dollars!  Thanks for the information sir.

can this one be do as a Hellenic Army also?

aca_12514_title.jpg

Haven't really looked at Greek machines but I certainly think this would be the best starting point if you know a decal source. Don't know about Greek weapons as I know the Brits use different unguided rockets so you may need to find other stuff for the pylons.The price of $14.00 is amazing as it was in the mid- $30.00s here in Canada......

5 hours ago, Tank said:

I don't think you can do a HAF bird from the kit. Armycast M&M makes a conversion. https://www.armycast.cz/eshop/index.php?id_product=69&controller=product&id_lang=2

HTH

I'm pretty sure that that conversion is for an earlier Academy kit as it poorly represents the assymetrical fairings and is certainly not as good as what you get in the new Academy box and would be virtually impossible to to fit based on how the new kit is constructed. Plus the conversion says for RAF too but you can build a British one from the new Academy kit with just a few RAF specific parts in their other specific RAF release. I think this is to convert the old A kit to a D Apache without the mast radome. Certainly the new kit instrument panels are better too but some Greek specific parts may be useful but most pictures of Greek machines look much like US Ds without Mast Radomes so I think the 12514 kit eliminates the need for this conversion. I note that it says only 5 left like selling off old stock.

Edited by RCAFFAN

IMHO the best Apache kits are - A - Hasegawa post '92 release.

And hands down  - D - Academy!!!

My rationale; the first Hassy A & the Academy A suffer from the same problem with the tail rotor!  The two sets of blades rotate in 2 different planes (pun not intended??), there is a shaft between the two blade sets. The kits mentioned above both molded the tail rotor as a one piece effort with the blades in the same plane. Hassy later, around '92, fixed the tail rotor and some other things with their kit so now you have the distinctive tail rotor set up!!

The Academy D kit has recently been released as a British bird and I think (check photos) the Greek birds have the same ECM fit as the Brits, and it is quite extensive, there are a lot of bumps & bits to add the airframe!!

HTH

• 2 months later...

Can anyone detail the differences between the current AH-64E Guardian and the helicopter depicted in the Academy 1/72 Apache AH-64D Block II Late Version with the up-tuned exhausts? Does the Guardian have a different main rotor blade to the AH-64D? Thanks.

LD.

I have the new Academy kit (Block II late) on the way in the mail but haven't seen it yet. The Guardian was originally called a D Block III and a number of D are supposed to be upgraded to E so I suspect not much visual difference, just more powerful engines with better performance  (and the upturn exhausts)but I note they talk of the Es having composite blades but I don't know if they look any different visually. Not an Apache expert so maybe someone else has more info.  Will let you know what kit is like when it gets here.......

Bruce

The tips of the E model composite blades are visually different from the D model. Instead of the leading and trailing edges being swept back to maintain the same chord as on the old style blades, the leading edge appears to sweep back much more on the composite blades, with the trailing edge of the tip having such a small sweep that it appears in line with the trailing edge of the rest of the blade.

64E tip cap.PNG

Edited by rlangdale
add picture

RLangdale Thanks for that info. Based on Academy's early block II kit where the rotor is a single one piece unit in the middle of a sprue, I suspect that there is no change to the blades and it is indeed a late D block II with upturned exhaust. We shall see when it arrives. I'd like to see some scale drawings but on first glance at the picture it looks like there would be enough material in the old blades to cut and sand them to the new shape or maybe someone will do a conversion.....

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Academy 1/72 late D kit yesterday and it is a late D block II with no change to the blades.  Main change is the engine exhaust configuration. Two schemes for Iraq in 2009/10 including a 1st Air Cavalry Brigade scheme. The other two schemes are for machines in South Korea in 2014.  Still a very nice kit and as said, doesn't look too hard to change blade tips if you can find some scale drawings.

Cheers

Bruce

On AH-64E different base paint color is used. So the best method wold be to scratch the surface and... try to stay alive. From the other hand looking at photo of Guardian  destroyed in Taiwan in 2014 seems they used yellow base (also old type of exhaust and right side tail antenna). This information cab be useful - for example on Airliners.net c/nr  16-03112  is as a Delta model but you can see opened panel with green base paint, lack of side tail antenna and 'new' tips of the rotor blades and indeed in other source - jetphotos.com C/N  16-03112 is an AH-64E Guardian

D-11111111111111111(507).jpg

You can also check  AH-64E hasegawa in 1/48 to see the otor blade tips:

HAS07414_part1.jpg

14758_1_has07414_11.jpg

And old blade:

14758_1_has07414_10.jpg

I did a quick on-line search and the dimensions for the D and E appear to be identical or almost identical, depending on the website you look at. I don't think Boeing have too much leeway in what length the blade can be. If it's longer, they might have to consider moving the tail-rotor rearwards which would call for a major airframe redesign. I reckon the E-blade length is probably identical to the length of the original blade design. 

LD.