A 2nd Stratosphere Models Realspace/aviation pattern FOR SALE

I am exceptionnaly offering for sale a 2nd Stratosphere Models pattern. This one is for my hypersonic Lockheed FDL-6 SOMV classified lifting body, 1/48th scale.

It's my largest version of that model at over 20 cm long.

The model was produced in fiberglass, so the tooling molds are also fiberglass. This will allow you to make nice, long lasting, resistant desk models. You will have to add a silicone mold for the fin as the fins I made for those were individually made out of styrene.

The Lockheed FDL-6 SOMV is still in part classified. It was an unmanned hypersonic high-lift-to-drag ratio lifting body which had performances way better than the Space Shuttle, like it's several FDL series siblings developed during the 1960's by the Air Force Flight Dynamics Lab. Several large size components were build both by Lockheed & the USAF. A large rear fuselage half was build & is shown in the publication Lockheed Horizons. A front fuselage was also build for tests in a large oven and a photo of it was also published. One classified tech paper describes the FDL-6 as a weapons system (possibly for the delivery of nuclear weapons, which would explain why it's still in part classified today). The vehicle may or may not have been flight tested under a covert program.

The fiberglass tool was only used a few times & is in good condition (no scratches). If ever desk models for this program were made they were few and remained classified and are unlikely to show up on the collector market. So this is your chance to be able to produce desk models of this member of a series of hypersonic vehicles from a significant program from AFFDL which had performances significantly superior to their predecessor, the X-20, as well as improved all metal heat shield.

This model kit came out after a 4 year 1/2 research on the whole USAF FDL series of high L/D classified vehicles plus several other hypersonic projects.

The fiberglass tooling is for sale for 325.00$ US.

Shipping cost is separate.

Contact me to know the shipping cost at: stratospheremodels@yahoo.fr 

Or via my website at: http://picturetrail.com/stratospheremodels

The molds produce very nice castings like these:

413558565.jpg

413558564.jpg

413558563.jpg

413554680.jpg

413554681.jpg

(Take note that only companies in good standing with Stratosphere Models will be considered).

Edited by Stratospheremodels