Resin replacement intake for the 1/72 Trumpeter F-100 kits

I recently bought some seamless intakes from XMM for the 1/72 Fujimi A-6, 1/72 Hasegawa EA-6B and 1/72 Hasegawa F-4 (both Navy and Air Force versions). Alexander from XMM was pleasant to deal with and the items look very nice but I have not used any of them yet. I sent Alexander an email suggesting some other products including a replacement seamless intake/nose section for the 1/72 Trumpeter F-100 kits. This was his response:

"I know about the problem of the Trumpeter kits in both scales. But I doubt the success of this development. This is not a very serious defect, and it can be fixed both manually and using parts from a large assortment of old models. In addition, correct air intakes for the Trumpeter kits are already produced in France
Regards,

Alexander"

Two weeks ago I responded asking for the name of the French company that makes this item and I have not heard back. I have found that AMS makes a resin replacement intake in 1/48 but can not find it in 1/72.

Can anyone tell me what is the French company that makes it in 1/72?

I will not buy the 1/72 Trumpeter F-100D until I can find a way to fix the incorrect flat intake shape. I really hope Meng or someone else comes out with a better kit but I won't hold my breath.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks Robonth, I appreciate the response. I would never have found that. I really love this forum.

Has anyone tried, or are there any comments on Renaissance or their 1/72 F-100 nose for the Trumpeter kit linked in the previous post? Accuracy? Detail? Fit? Not quite a full trunk is it? The shape looks better than the kit though.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Hi, Alleycat,

A resin nose alone won't solve your problem, as you have to rework the ducting as well as the width of the cockpit. Below are a couple of links to how I solved the problems (and what the problems are!):

F-100C Link:  http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235016447-the-best-172-scale-f-100c-i-can-build/&tab=comments#comment-2627576

2v298vevLxfzdhW.jpg

F-100F link: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235021913-whacked-out-wild-weasel-172-f-100f/&tab=comments#comment-2801812

2v2uciaNvxfzdhW.jpg

The F-100D would get fixed the same as the F-100C, except for the different vertical stabilizer, wing and  ejection seat. (I'm working on that one now, but sporadically).

The pertinent data on the nose conversion starts about post #22 on the F-100C. It's not super hard, and the models are more detailed than the older kits.

Hope this info will make your build a little easier!

Ed

Ed,

Dito what Gene said. Thanks for the detailed help. I think these fixes are a little beyond me for now. I don't think I will buy the Trumpeter kit.

I guess if I was to build a 1/72 F-100D I would start with the ESCI kit. Maybe I will just wait a few years and see what happens.

Alleycat,

I totally get your trepidation about trying the Trumpeter kit. However, it just offers s.o much more than the others, such as the correct dropped slats, the correct main gear doors, and the correct fuel tanks.

If you can pick up an ESCI kit, at least you could use the nose and the canopy to fix the Trumpeter kit like I did. In any event, it's darned sad that Trump didn't take the time to get it right -- these would clearly be the go to kits for the F-100 series.

Best of luck,

Ed

37 minutes ago, TheRealMrEd said:

Alleycat,

In any event, it's darned sad that Trump didn't take the time to get it right -- these would clearly be the go to kits for the F-100 series.

Best of luck,

Ed

The same goes for the 1/72 Trumpy Boss F-105s, A-7s etc., etc., etc. Why, oh why - so close but no joy.

You make some good points Ed, and I guess no kit is perfect but I will need to think about this long and hard.

Thanks again for the help.

Greg

On 9/21/2017 at 7:53 PM, Alleycat said:

Has anyone tried, or are there any comments on Renaissance or their 1/72 F-100 nose for the Trumpeter kit linked in the previous post?

No idea about their F-100 nose, but I have a few  of Renaissance's 1/43 car kits, and they are very nice.