Tragedy in Terracina, Rome

Hello guys,sad notice. 

I was in Terracina for the Local Air show; less of 30 minutes ago,the Eurofighter of the Reparto Sperimentele from Pratica di Mare,the first of the fast jet that will be perform today,crashed in the sea in front of the display line.

Look like if the pilot was unable to recover from the dive and belly hit the water...see in person such thing left you without words,is something of unreal.

My deepest and sincere condolescences to the pilot family.

Gianni

Edited by kurnass77

Oh dear.

Looking for info found it to be Doubly tragic,

"Rescue crews immediately rushed to the scene, but Mr Orlandi had already died by the time they reached him. His fiancee' and parents were at the airshow and had to be treated for shock after witnessing the crash, Rai News reported." 

https://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20170924/world/watch-eurofighter-pilot-plunges-to-his-death-in-italian-airshow-crash.658816

Terrible ...

My prayers to the pilot's family and friends ...

It reminded me of the F/A-18 crash at the 1988 El Toro show crash, the pilot did survive that crash though and had to suffer through many surgeries in the years that followed. I believe he recently died ...

-Gregg

Yes Gregg, think you're right. Col. Jerry Cadick passed a couple of years ago. He failed to recover from a loop in his F/A-18 and I think sustained an incredible 70+ G's. A miracle he even survived but lived to fly again! 70 G's- unbelievable! Must've been a really tough guy! Still,  heart goes out to family of the Italian pilot. Understand his family and fiancée were at the show. Again, just terrible for all !

afoxbat

This low-level loop fly-act is a tricky one.   I recall the hawker hunter in the UK which got too low. The ukranian Su, years ago.  Somehow the calculations made for this act might be right but the weather conditions keeps changing or was this due to mech/tech. failure?

Edited by cag_200
12 hours ago, cag_200 said:

This low-level loop fly-act is a tricky one.   I recall the hawker hunter in the UK which got too low. The ukranian Su, years ago.  Somehow the calculations made for this act might be right but the weather conditions keeps changing or was this due to mech/tech. failure?

Weather looked great. Performing over water may play a part; horizon, no real visual clues.

Thunderbirds almost lost a guy a few years back in a similar incident...bottomed out of a Split S after setting the wrong altimeter setting for the field.