Star Trek: Discovery

I watched it last night. It was just ok. I felt like the acting was a bit wooden.I won't be buying into the online streaming service though. I will end up finding it free on a website that I use from time to time. I can't get another streaming service when I already have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and HBO.

Didn't watch it, but pics, previews, articles are enough for me. For petes sake, it takes place only 10 years before Kirks era. Make it at least look like TOS "The Cage" or TOS " The Menagerie ". JJ Trek was bad enough. Now this travesty. Paramount is ruining Star Trek. What they should do is hire everyone from Star Trek Continues and do that.

Watched it with my 14 year old son.  We both thought it pretty weak.

Intro on planet, walk in sand to create Federation symbol.  FAIL on many levels.

Chemistry between Captain and First Officer did not exist.   They were supposed to have served together several years...

3D hologram communication.  No consistency with other Trek communications.  This is just one of many lacks of consistency.

Reinventing the Klingons...really I wanted to like this but just couldnt.

First Officer had been raised Vulcan? OK I guess.  I guess she needed a reason to Mutany?  Plot device?

First Officer is also a Mary Sue.  Great!  Need more Social Justice in my entertainment....

Won't be subscribing.  Might consider watching if free.

Edited by toadwbg
On 26/09/2017 at 8:46 PM, GreyGhost said:

I think it's sad that I enjoyed The Orville  more ...

-Gregg

What did you think of The Orville? I expected more laughs, but after a few episodes, it has grown on me. Not stellar TV (pun intended), but still pleasant to watch.

ALF

Caught the last half of it.  Reminded me ofa J.J. production and just couldn''t get into it, especially if I had to pay to see more.  Oh well, back to DVDs

It was said that some of the performances were a bit wooden.  So was The Next eneration at first.  It can take a bit of time for the actors to feel comfortable with their roles.  Almosta shame I will mot be seeing how they do later...if they do later.

9 hours ago, ALF18 said:

What did you think of The Orville? I expected more laughs, but after a few episodes, it has grown on me. Not stellar TV (pun intended), but still pleasant to watch.

ALF

Im enjoying The Orville so far.

The amount of humor in it I feel, is good, I'm glad it's not a full blown comedy.

One of the former Star Trek:TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise EPs, Brannon Braga is EPing Orville ...

As for ST:Discovery, it's not going to get me to subscribe to CBS as ...

-Gregg

I want to like Discovery, and I'm not one of those "they've strayed from canon!" types, but it's like they haven't made any attempt to try to keep things remotely within the Trek universe. Why redo the Klingons so drastically? And there was zero chemistry between the actors. The actors in The Orville seemed comfortable with each other and their roles right out of the gate. I'm enjoying that show. Maybe they should have given Seth MacFarlane the reigns to Discovery.

Ben

I thought it was OK, but like others here I didn't think it was worth paying to see more.  I'm a bit baffled..does this show take place in the original Trek universe or the Abrams reboot timeline?  For a show that takes place a decade before TOS, the tech is vastly more advanced.  I realize today's audiences aren't gonna put up with 60s-vintage low-budget sets and effects,  but as mentioned above there was no effort at all to make this show appear remotely connected to the others.

I'm not sure what's up with the complaints about "social justice."  Did anybody watch the original series?  That broke all kinds of 60s gender and race barriers, and tackled all manner of then-current social issues.

SN