Miramar Air Show 2017

Here are some photos from the 2017 Miramar Air Show, in case anyone's interested:

http://www.techflyer.net/images/mm17/album/

And to save some clicking and scrolling, what I think are the better ones of the bunch:

I never noticed what looks like a little tube shooting out smoke on the Harrier before:

IMG_0539.jpg

AH-1Z:

IMG_1237.jpg

Blue Angels' Pass:

IMG_2812.jpg

F-35 with what I thought was some interesting vapor over the wings

IMG_4174.jpg

8 hours ago, Ken Cartwright said:

I never noticed what looks like a little tube shooting out smoke on the Harrier before:

Good photo and good question both.

Even though the statement doesn't have a question mark at the end it is clearly an implied question as to what that feature is about.

On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 12:12 PM, southwestforests said:

Good photo and good question both.

Even though the statement doesn't have a question mark at the end it is clearly an implied question as to what that feature is about.

I think it's an oil vent pipe or something of that nature.

----------------

The vent is of one possibility that I am aware of but by no means the correct answer.

Each engine design usually requires an over pressurization tube. On the F404GE400 (Hornet) series, its called a B sump., that's the small hole above each engine between the two vertical stabs with a small wire cross inside the B sump holes. That's why you will see some oil stains out of these two small holes onto of the Hornet.

I'm sure there are Harrier experts here that could nail this down..

HTH.

2 hours ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

I'm sure there are Harrier experts here that could nail this down.

One would expect that here :) But what I'm thinking right now is from your screen name - at one point in history, I think before I was born in the 1960s, there was a model company FROG for Flies Right Off Ground, and I might cheat and Google in a bit but for now I'm going by memory.
Now, how one would do a stick and tissue Harrier which flies right off ground is a mystery to me! 

On 9/27/2017 at 7:03 AM, barkin mad said:

I think it's an oil vent pipe or something of that nature.

Confirming that is an engine oil vent/drain, located on the fairing just ahead of the fwd stbd (cold) nozzle.

There is also a fuel tank vent on the stbd fuselage, below the fwd nozzle and just above the fwd strake mount.