Tamiya Release Rumors?

In the AMK F-14 thread there are a few references to rumors about upcoming Tamiya 1/48 releases, so I figured we could stop talking about that in the AMK thread and talk about it here.  

Anyways- I haven't heard what people think Big T might announce this fall.  I assumed another Tomcat variant was most likely in the cards, but is that not what people are hearing that are "in the know"?

Steve

Yes, I just read about those rumors in the AMK thread and no where else. It's a pretty big deal if it's true, especially if it is an F-14D. Even if it is in Japanese, please post links with rumors. I got a Japanese gang around me for an accurate translation. 

The logic people are using for a 1/48 F-14D is that Tamiya would try to beat AMK to the punch and steal their sales by releasing a F-14D.  The 1/48 T-Cat's parts layout and certain panels being molded individually does hint that they had in mind to release another version..however..

They did the same thing with the F-16C kit..the entire forward fuselage is a different piece, which makes sense if they were going to do a F-16D or F-16I, etc. However, over 10 years on and there's still been nothing except for some photoshopped pictures to troll people..

If they are going to release a new Tomcat variant, I would guess the B would come first. They would need very few new parts to do a B. It might not even be a B. It may simply be a Block 125 A with the ECM antennas and TCS pod. In regards to Tamiya trying to beat out AMK for sales, I truly don't think they care. They will sell a bunch of whatever they release. 

50 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

If they are going to release a new Tomcat variant, I would guess the B would come first. They would need very few new parts to do a B. It might not even be a B. It may simply be a Block 125 A with the ECM antennas and TCS pod. In regards to Tamiya trying to beat out AMK for sales, I truly don't think they care. They will sell a bunch of whatever they release. 

Something like they did with the 1/32 Tomcat..

1/48 F-14A "1994"/ F-14B in one kit ala F-16C/N "Aggressor" kit

This is Brian from www.hlj.com (Hobby Link Japan), I was talking with him about the new Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon  and he read an old message of mine about the Tamiya 1/48 Tomcat,  these is what he response (SSM forum) in July 17,2017

"Hey there, 
I was just checking through my old PMs here on SSM and found these old messages about the Tamiya F-14. 
So we finally got it! Beautiful kit. Rumor now is an F-14D is next. 
Good times!
~Brian"

So when is the hobby show in Japan? I've got a D conversion ready to release next week, but if the announcement is coming soon, I may hold off and see what's in the kit. If it truly is a D that gets released, I can do a smaller B conversion. I'm also going to do a late A release as well.

1 hour ago, Darren Roberts said:

So when is the hobby show in Japan? I've got a D conversion ready to release next week, but if the announcement is coming soon, I may hold off and see what's in the kit. If it truly is a D that gets released, I can do a smaller B conversion. I'm also going to do a late A release as well.

"Get ready for the 57th All Japan Model & Hobby Show! This year's event will be held September 29 to October 1 at Tokyo Big Sight."

Not rumors at all, Marcus Nicholls announced on the Tamiya Model Magazine Facebook page that there will be two new tool 1/48 aircraft released this year by Tamiya.

He said that is all he can say. He did have permission to release those details.

8 hours ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

The logic people are using for a 1/48 F-14D is that Tamiya would try to beat AMK to the punch and steal their sales by releasing a F-14D.  The 1/48 T-Cat's parts layout and certain panels being molded individually does hint that they had in mind to release another version..however..

They did the same thing with the F-16C kit..the entire forward fuselage is a different piece, which makes sense if they were going to do a F-16D or F-16I, etc. However, over 10 years on and there's still been nothing except for some photoshopped pictures to troll people..

Marcus suggested it wasn't going to be a modification to an existing kit, that it would be something never released before by Tamiya. A complete new tooling.

That's far more likely given Tamiya's history of releases. A 1:48 F-14D from Tamiya is nothing more than wishful thinking, which people want to believe and pass off as "rumor". Frankly, they're better off setting a new standard on a new kit. The model world will be better served that way. 

*IF* it turns out to be a 1:48 F-14D or B, then they'll have cornered the 1:48 Tomcat market. If it turns out to be something else, the modeling community will rejoice in that as well. They can do no wrong. 

12 hours ago, Scooby said:

Marcus suggested it wasn't going to be a modification to an existing kit, that it would be something never released before by Tamiya. A complete new tooling.

I know..I was just saying that people are looking towards a F-14B/D kit..based on the parts layout..but Tamiya's history suggests otherwise.