Tamiya Release Rumors?

Well, whatever these new releases are we know odds are very high they will be great kits. They may not be of a subject that appeals to everyone but whatever those subjects are Tamiya's track record for solid kits pretty much assures us of a fun building experience. That and we know they will be released and in our hands in a timely manner...:rolleyes:

The thing about Tamiya "rumors" is that none of them turn out to be true. Tamiya has a reputation for very tight security about its forthcoming projects. They don't send up trial baloons like some companies (anyone remember Hobbycraft Canada's 1/48 F9F-8 Cougar from the late 1980s?). Almost always the first real inkling of a new release from Tamiya comes as an  announcement from . . . you guessed it, Tamiya itself. And by the time they announce something, the kit is already being pressed at the factory and is on the shelves within a month or two. Now, obviously, sometimes one new release results in one or more versions that follow, but it doesn't always work that way. Yep, we've got two or three subvariants of Spitfires and Corsairs in all three scales, but you'd a'thunk that there would have been several variants of the excellent 1/48 Wildcat from a dozen years ago. But nope, only the F4F-4 issue. No -3, no FM-1 or FM-2. Don't really understand that one.

I understand it, knowing who gave Tamiya exclusive and unrestricted access to their aircraft for the last four 1/32 releases, it is all about who Tamiya has formed a friendship/partnership with. The Mosquito didn't belong to the same owner but he pulled strings so they could have access to it in his hanger before it moved back to Australia. He doesn't own a Wildcat. ;)

51 minutes ago, Scooby said:

I understand it, knowing who gave Tamiya exclusive and unrestricted access to their aircraft for the last four 1/32 releases, it is all about who Tamiya has formed a friendship/partnership with. The Mosquito didn't belong to the same owner but he pulled strings so they could have access to it in his hanger before it moved back to Australia. He doesn't own a Wildcat. ;)

Does he own a P-38? Wait how about just give us a list of the a/c in the collection and we can wildly speculate from that. One for certain they don't own in the collection is a F-35 so I guess we can at least rule that out....:smiley-transport006:

On 9/27/2017 at 7:54 PM, Paul Boyer said:

The thing about Tamiya "rumors" is that none of them turn out to be true.

From the Armor side, however, Tamiya rumors coming from the dealers eventually turned out to be true in a way.

1/48th scale aircraft shouldn't be an exemption.

55 minutes ago, kaz said:

From the Armor side, however, Tamiya rumors coming from the dealers eventually turned out to be true in a way.

1/48th scale aircraft shouldn't be an exemption.

Shouldn't be....but what has their past history shown with aircraft?

The 109G is an interesting choice. I wonder if this project gained momentum when Eduard botched their original 109G release.  I'm building a "new" new tool Eduard 109G right now and I must say it is an awesome kit.  It will be interesting to see how Tamiya compares.  Hopefully the Tamiya kit will be a bit simpler in construction.

Also, I hope we get some new Tamiya XF colors for RLM 74, 75, and 76!  No more mixing!

My unsolicited $0.02.  

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi

Spitfire, Mustang, Corsair then which one is missing...yea 109 to complete the 32nd family of most famous WW2 fighters. Surprised to see one in 48th not 32nd.

The Hien was very basic engine and done to complement the restoration of one in Japan hopefully more detailed than that.

AMK dodged a bullet as well.

Edited by dehowie