Tamiya Release Rumors?

46 minutes ago, Wolf_el_Real said:

Does Tamiya have plans for a new 1/48 F-14B Tomcat?

No one really knows. You would think, but then again they never released the family model of the F-16, and it was set up for it. The best course of action would be to combine everything into a Late A/B release. The only sprue they would need to add would be the TCS pod and the ECM blisters for under the glove area. In the meantime, Steel Beach has a conversion if you want a B now.

2 hours ago, Wolf_el_Real said:

Does Tamiya have plans for a new 1/48 F-14B Tomcat?

They made bore holes on the bottom fuselage part for the ECM antennas.

If they follow the release pace, normally it comes in summer/Q3 2020.

On 12/16/2019 at 9:40 AM, shion said:

They made bore holes on the bottom fuselage part for the ECM antennas.

If they follow the release pace, normally it comes in summer/Q3 2020.

Logic would indeed suggest that...however..

They also made the forward fuselage separate on the F-16 to, logically, allow for a F-16D..

That didn't happen

On 12/18/2019 at 12:18 PM, ChesshireCat said:

I'd like to see them do Robin Olds P39j. The current is very nice, but a J will make me jump for joy!!

Gary

I didn’t know much about Robin Olds, but just did some reading.  I agree that it would be great to have Tamiya come out with J version to make an Olds P-38.  Going off topic here, how cool would it be to have a set of all Olds’ “Scat ___” airplanes, including his P-51d (Eduard) and his F-4C (Zoukei-Mura).  I’m fortunate enough to have all these...maybe a project to take on?

Again, sorry for the off-topic post...

48 minutes ago, Curt B said:

I didn’t know much about Robin Olds, but just did some reading.  I agree that it would be great to have Tamiya come out with J version to make an Olds P-38.  Going off topic here, how cool would it be to have a set of all Olds’ “Scat ___” airplanes, including his P-51d (Eduard) and his F-4C (Zoukei-Mura).  I’m fortunate enough to have all these...maybe a project to take on?

Not fully off topic, your request has already been fulfilled; 

P-38J:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/kits-world-kw148077-p-38j-lightnings--240356

P-38J and P-51D: 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/aeromaster-ipms-97-ipms-columbus-97--950236

F-4C: 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/ipms-usa-ipms-97-col-robin-olds-f-4c-vietnam-mig-killers--327100

Merry Xmas to all 😊

Kits-World is still available, both directly from manufacturer and from Hannants; 
https://www.kitsworld.co.uk/index.php?CATEGORY=4&SUB=17&THISPAGE=1&RADIOSORT=4&PICFILE=228&STKNR=228&STRH=3808&ORDN=2585&RNZ=981727

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/KW48077?result-token=gPhGL

For the others, I guess you need to search a bit 😉

6 hours ago, Curt B said:

Col. Olds flew or sorts of aircraft in his time. I have a photo of him standing on a P51k. I know he flew somekind of a recon plane over Europe. As for Phantoms, he flew the C,D, and E models over Vietnam. He also flew the P80 (F80?) In the forties.

There's at least 27 airframes! 

Gary

3 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

Col. Olds flew or sorts of aircraft in his time. I have a photo of him standing on a P51k. I know he flew somekind of a recon plane over Europe. As for Phantoms, he flew the C,D, and E models over Vietnam. He also flew the P80 (F80?) In the forties.

Gary

Wow!  I'll be happy with just the P-38, P51D and F-4C...not enough room for more!  

16 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

Gary

Col.Olds never flew the E model in Vietnam, He left in Sept.67 firsts E's arrived in Nov.68 at Korat.

Bernie McKenna

6 hours ago, berniemckenna said:

Col.Olds never flew the E model in Vietnam, He left in Sept.67 firsts E's arrived in Nov.68 at Korat.

Bernie McKenna

He did. He took one from a replacement while flying a D model. But with that aside he flew newer stuff on the sky, and gave the kills away. It's all in his book

Gary

I think the D was the last airframe to have the Scat logo

Edited by ChesshireCat
More data
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 3:44 PM, Curt B said:

Hi,

A Robin Olds collection would be pretty neat. A lot legendary types in there.

As an exchange officer, he was the only foreigner ever who had the honour to serve as the CO of No 1 Sqn RAF. I believe they flew Meteors at the time. I think Mk 4's.

And an F-101 from the Bentwaters-Woodbridge Wing. With one of those, he once performed a flying display that turned heads in the early 60's.

I think they let him do that only once.

Considering what was allowed in those days, it must have been really something.

Cheers, Stefan.

On 12/25/2019 at 9:17 PM, ChesshireCat said:

He did. He took one from a replacement while flying a D model. But with that aside he flew newer stuff on the sky, and gave the kills away. It's all in his book

Gary

I think the D was the last airframe to have the Scat logo

regardless of what is in his book it was impossible for him to have flown the F-4E at Korat.Simple reason is He PCS'd back to the states in Sept.67 and the first F-4E arrived at Korat on 7 Nov. 1968 and they flew their first mission on 20 Nov.1968. I'm not saying he didn't fly an F 4E in his career. He just wouldn't have done it in Vietnam. He was the commander of cadets at the AF Academy at the time. He never went back .It could be a misprint or so but the dates definingly make it impossible for him to have done it. And yes I read his book too.

Bernie McKenna

• 1 month later...