Mr. Cement S extra thin question

I was reading a post over on Britmodeller where someone said he used Mr. Cement S extra thin to attach PE to plastic. I don't have a Britmodeller account so I can't ask the question there.
Has anyone tried using Mr. Cement S extra thin to attach PE parts to plastic? Can anyone comment if it works?
Thanks for any help you can provide.
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. I joined up on Britmodeller and asked him his technique for using Mr. Cement S extra thin with PE on plastic. He replied saying he uses 400 grit sandpaper on the back of the PE and on the plastic where the PE will be attached. He said it only works for small parts but you still have to be careful handling and masking. It seems to work for him but he works in 1/72 and I only work in 1/48 so some 1/48 PE parts might work with his method. I will stick to CA and or two part epoxy though. Most of the PE I have is for the Italeri 1/48 SH/HH-60 Sea Hawks and some of the external PE parts are big so I would prefer a stronger hold like CA.

dnl42, thanks for the reply. Is Gator's Grip a strong enough bond for the PE to plastic on the external fuselage where there might be handling and masking? I plan to use a lot of PE as shown on the photos below. Those are from the Eduard site. They show the Eduard external PE that I will be attaching to my Italeri 1/48 HH-60H. I want to be sure the Gator's Grip is strong enough to hold all that PE on.

08.JPG

11.JPG

10.JPG

Yes, it's very much strong enough. Those flat PE to plastic bonds are where GG's flexibility is a key factor.

A local IPMSOC member swears by GG for those on-edge bonds also shown above. He likes the flexibility GG offers to prevent those bits snapping off when the model is handled. I haven't been successful using GG in that circumstance, so I continue to use epoxy for on-edge joints.

Thanks again!

Any other alternatives to CA and two part epoxy for attaching resin?

Would this work on PE as well? Testors metal and wood glue in the green tube.

s-l1000.jpg

Edited by twong